Mileage vs time for parts replacements

Would someone explain why, according to the Ford maintenance schedule, some items are supposed to be replaced after a certain mileage or a specific period of time? For instance, Ford specified air cleaner element replacement after 30,000 miles or 3 years. The mileage requirement is understandable, but what magic event happens to require replacement of the air cleaner at three years? It seems to me that the air cleaner elements should last indefinitely until they are dirty enough to replace. Inquiring minds want to know ....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not just Ford...

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I dunno Ford's or others' answers, but I think filter material can deteriorate over time. And if it did, it'd get sucked into the engine.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
There are lifetime filter elements that can be cleaned, re-oiled, and re-used. Paper type filters will dry out over time and could fail. This is more of a risk on a boosted engine vs NA, as boosted engines move much more air. Cheap insurance on an expensive engine IMO. Much easier to have a time base spec vs some other flow/structural integrity spec.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

A paper air filter element wrapped in plastic in it's box sitting in a parts department will last for decades. Out of it's box and installed in a car its subject to changes in humidity, temperature, and contaminants from whatever driving is done and they deteriorate. A newspaper sitting on the shelf in your closet will last a lot longer than one sitting next to your BBQ outside.

Chip

Reactions: pacettr

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
One forum member I know of had a filter come apart and get stuck in the throttle blade at 100 MPH.
At that point, the throttle would not back down.

I have changed mine by age ever since.

Jeff

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Rich put the K&Ns in...

Reactions: JWZ

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Not a fan of K&Ns. There IS a small performance gain - more flow because of less filtering. Why not just remove the filter all together - that will give the best performance. There's a reason why OEMs don't use K&N filters.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
FYI, tried to buy a pair of air filters. Dealer told me they have been on B/O since July. Waiting for 450 orders to be placed before production run made. No estimated time of that happening.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Well, if 90 of us each order 5 ...

Reactions: 2112

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
The WIX air filter equivalent is a great replacement. That’s what I’m running. Stormcat told me a while back that it has better airflow than the OEM.86393AF8-C16F-4557-A041-C45D9A323C28.jpeg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In my area, even the WIX are special order only

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
In my area, even the WIX are special order only

My KC NAPA warehouse use to keep a few. They have also brought them in from other stores when I needed.

There has been a giant back log on filters in general the last few months though.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Well, if 90 of us each order 5 ...

Get 6....3 change-overs worth.

They're only $14 each.

Reactions: extrap

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I thought it was the same as a Mustang, times two.

Reactions: texas mongrel

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I used # FA-1682

Don't Mustangs use modified cone shape filters?

After I found out that Ford could not supply the air filters, I looked at the equivalents and finally was able to get a pair from Advance/Carquest using the Wix number 42572. NAPA ( FIL 2572) could also get them in a couple of days. Somehow the fact that Ford can't supply such a simple, necessary, and inexpensive item really makes me puzzled.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
There are plenty of the Ford Motorcraft FA-1682 air filters on Ebay and also available on Rock Auto.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There are plenty of the Ford Motorcraft FA-1682 air filters on Ebay and also available on Rock Auto.

Are you positive the eBay filters are not counterfeits?

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Are you positive the eBay filters are not counterfeits?
No, that would be impossible for me to investigate. Just trying to be helpful. Don't buy them if you have that concern.