Michelin tire question size matching the Bridgestone

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
I'm getting ready to purchase tires for new rims I've ordered. Putting my original 880 mile units up for storage. I see in various threads that the Bridgestone tires are recommended and was wondering if anyone has used this combination of Michelins. Are these the same size as recommended Bridgestone tires for 05/05 FGT?

I see available the following:

Front -

MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT 4S

• 265/40ZR18

Rear -

MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT CUP 2 CONNECT (240)

• 345/30ZR19

Thanks
Shawn

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Speed ratings? Should be Y or (Y)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No, a 345/30-19 is almost 2" less in diameter. It would look dumb on a GT.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Shawn - Your numbers for the Michelin fronts are the same as the Bridgestone's, but your numbers for the Michelin rears lower aspect ratio (Michelin 30 vs Bridgestone 35) which implies the Michelin would have a smaller diameter but since manufacturers round their numbers as they see fit you should go by the published diameter and width when comparing.

I had already posted some of the diameters in another thread, so here they are ... and you can use these links to compare tire widths:

Goodyear from https://tiresize.com/tires/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Supercar.htm (Couldn't find specs on goodyear.com)
235/45ZR18 26.3” diameter / width 9.3"
315/40ZR19 28.9” diameter / width 12.6"

Bridgestone from https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re050a/265-40ZR18/
265/40ZR18 26.34” diameter / width not stated
345/35ZR19 28.54” diameter / width not stated but I measure mine as 13-1/16"

Michelin from https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s
265/40ZR18 26.06" diameter / width 11" on a 9.5" wide rim if this is accurate, it's prob too wide
345/30ZR19 ??.??" diameter / width ??" ... Michelin's link doesn't show a 345 width tire for a 19" diameter wheel :unsure: I see a 325/30 (diameter 26.72" / 13" wide on an 11.5" wide rim) and a 355/30 (27.42" diameter / width 14" on a 12.5" wide rim) ... so the 325/30's width is OK but its diameter is waaay too small, and the 355/30's diameter is 1.5" too small and ~1.5" wider than OEM.

(Some tire manufacturers state a tire width on a certain width rim since the width of the rim that the tire is mounted on affects the width of the tire)

All this said, I don't think too many are using the Michelins since I don't think their diameter and/or width match up well enough. I seem to remember seeing them a couple times and they don't look right to me: Too small, too narrow or too wide, can't remember if it's fronts, rears or both, but you get the gist from the numbers.

Reactions: donnymac

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The Bridgestones may not be as good as the pilot sport Cup2’s but they are very good tires and they fit properly

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
which implies the Michelin would have a smaller diameter but since manufacturers round their numbers as they see fit you should go by the published diameter and width when comparing.

Tire manufactures make tires to size specifications. This is very important - especially in terms of diameter. When it comes to tread width there is the possibility of differences because of tread design/pattern and discrepancies on how different people mat apply a measurement. But diameters are precise - and easy to calculate. Let's look at the Goodyear and Bridgestone rear tires as well as the proposed Michelins for the GT.

OEM Goodyear: 315/40-19
Tread width= 315mm = 12.40 inches
Profile (rim to tread) = 40% of 315mm = 126.00mm = 4.96 inches
Diameter = Top & bottom profile + rim diameter = 4.96 + 4.96 + 19 = 28.92 inches

Bridgestone: 345/35-19
Tread width= 345mm = 13.58 inches
Profile (rim to tread) = 35% of 345mm = 120.75mm = 4.75 inches
Diameter = Top & bottom profile + rim diameter = 4.75 + 4.75 + 19 = 28.50 inches

Bridgestone: 345/30-19
Tread width= 345mm = 13.58 inches
Profile (rim to tread) = 30% of 345mm = 103.50mm = 4.07 inches
Diameter = Top & bottom profile + rim diameter = 4.07 + 4.07 + 19 = 27.14 inches

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Bridgestones all the way I’m at 2000 miles on mine an there’s no comparison to the original Goodyears, the Bridgestones fit perfectly and the hookups are incredible

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I too am a big Bridgestone fan.

I love the meaty sidewall and fender fill. They are excellent on the street and are pretty damn good for novice days at the track.

If I needed more at the track, I would find a dedicated track car.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Michelin's require a wheel change. A number of people have done this. 19/20's Then you can find a proper Michelin.
Staying with the stock wheel size. The Bridgestone's are the go to tire.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
People love Michelins I guess, they just don't work on the stock wheels.

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Thanks to all for the replies and technical comparisons. I've tried calling Bill at Radial Tire with no success. Hopefully he can get me set up with the Bridgestones.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks to all for the replies and technical comparisons. I've tried calling Bill at Radial Tire with no success. Hopefully he can get me set up with the Bridgestones.
Did you try his cell?
If not here it is
He Is usually really good about returning calls
+1 (703) 554-4803

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Tire manufactures make tires to size specifications. This is very important - especially in terms of diameter. When it comes to tread width there is the possibility of differences because of tread design/pattern and discrepancies on how different people mat apply a measurement. But diameters are precise - and easy to calculate. Let's look at the Goodyear and Bridgestone rear tires as well as the proposed Michelins for the GT.
You also have to consider how wheel width can change the tire diameter. Squeezing a wide tire on a narrow wheel as is the case with with the GT and Bridgestones will increase the diameter more than stretching the same tire on a wider wheel.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You also have to consider how wheel width can change the tire diameter. Squeezing a wide tire on a narrow wheel as is the case with with the GT and Bridgestones will increase the diameter more than stretching the same tire on a wider wheel.

A measureable amount?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
The Bridgestones even though they are a larger tire size then the original Goodyears fit perfectly there is no real visible difference in my opinion and they are definitely a better performing tire. Besides there really is no other options in the rears.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Nope. Not even a little bit. The belts in the tire prevent it from expanding in the middle. Otherwise, air pressure would make the tire balloon in the middle of the tread too.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
If anyone located in the western USA needs Bridgestone tires, contact Jim Fogelquist; jfogelquist@bfrc.com

Jay

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
If anyone looking for Bridgestones in the NY area ask for Mario at Whitey’s Tire Service in Brooklyn. (718) 277-3000

Reactions: analogdesigner

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
A measureable amount?
We are discussing measurements to the hundredth of an inch here, so most likely. This should just bring them even closer to OEM diameter than indicated.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Nope. Not even a little bit. The belts in the tire prevent it from expanding in the middle. Otherwise, air pressure would make the tire balloon in the middle of the tread too.
The Bridgestones are known to wear more heavily at the center.