Michael Schumacher is back!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
As if to underline that nothing is ever predictable in Formula One, Ferrari announced Wednesday evening that Michael Schumacher is to stand in for the injured Felipe Massa at the forthcoming Grand Prix in Valencia and beyond.

With Massa out of action due to the injuries sustained in qualification for the Hungarian Grand Prix and making a strong recovery, the rumour mill had been rife with speculation as to who would take over the F60 cockpit alongside Kimi Raikkonen as the Brazilian recuperates.

Indeed, no less than 13 drivers had been linked with the drive amongst reports that the 40-year old seven-time champion was not interested in resurrecting his career with the Italian champions.

"We have said before that it is possible that Michael Schumacher could return to help us out," head of communications Luca Colajanni said ahead of the official announcement.

Schumacher last competed in the sport in 2006 where he finished second to Fernando Alonso in the standings, having secured no less than seven victories to add to his tally of 91 wins.

"Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian driver will be able to race again," the team stated.

"Michael Schumacher said he is ready and over the next few days will undertake a specific training programme at the end of which confirmation will be given of his participation in the championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August."

A controversial figure despite his massive success in Formula One, Schumacher will be the centre of attention later this month as the series regroups following the summer break.

Earl ALEXANDER
© CAPSIS International
f1news.com

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Would it not be a testament to his prowess if he wins next week!?

H

HHGT

I have personally experienced Bob Bondurant's driving skills at 70. Age has nothing to do it.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
He may bring back some European interest in Formula 1, just as Lance Armstrong did to the Tour de France this year.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Interesting that he would be competing against Ross Braun's tactics for the first time. Should be fascinating and a shot in the arm for F1.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I think it only adds to the excitement of the F1 season.
Its a same the U.S. doesn't cover F1 the way they do in the U.K.
I must say when they do the in car ,I get very excited!!

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
My wife is especially thrilled at the return of Michael. She has pulled out her Schumacher helmet and her assortment of MS memorabilia and is now reliving the glory days dancing around the room!:lol

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
I've been fortunate to have seen Michael in action and against the current World Champion, Hamilton, in Monaco. If Schumacher puts on anything close to his previous driving feats, Valencia will be a "Must Tevo"!
While wishing the Brazilian only the best recovery, I would really like to see Michael back at the Monaco circuit next May.

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
There is no way I will miss this.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I hope it doesn't end up like a Tyson fight - all hype and build up, then over with within seconds.:ack

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
This is going to be AWESOME!!!!
With the Mclarens and Ferrari's finally coming around, the Brauns falling off, this is shaping up to be a sweet season.
I won't miss one second. Thank the lord for digital cable recorders!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
The next race isn't for a month. That may be adequate time for Massa to recover enough to drive after all.

Howard

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
The next race isn't for a month. That may be adequate time for Massa to recover enough to drive after all.

Howard

NO chance, according to the medical reports he has a fractured skull, and there is no way in hell the doctors will let him drive soon. This wasn't just a concussion. Massa will be out for some time. All the talk is just Brazilian macho, which I respect him for. He is a tough guy, but he won't be risking his life with a new baby on the way. A hit on the head in the right spot over the next few months and he's a dead man. It does sound like he will drive again, probably next year.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I hope it doesn't end up like a Tyson fight - all hype and build up, then over with within seconds.:ack

Don't worry Herb, just qualifying would be more than interesting to watch. I'll glued to the TV with both DVR on in 3 weeks' time. May even wear my Ferrari jacket again while watching the race. Sam, of course will wear his Ferrari Spandex unddie... One more thing Sam, get that home theater finished in time and invite us all to come over to watch the race (but no Ferrari unddies please).

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
As soon as I heard the news, I went to the F1 website to see the next race date. I was surprised that there is nearly a month long gap between the last race and the next. It should allow Ferrari to get the car sorted and Schumy acclimated to the F60 car. God knows Ferrari need all the help they can get! I can't wait to see him in the seat again. Now if they can only re-negotiate a deal to come back to America, I would be one happy fan.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Michael has announced that he won't race.

Injuries picked up in a motorcycle accident earlier this year have ruled him out.

Sad news, it would have been amazing.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Michael Schumacher has had to abandon his planned Formula 1 return due to the neck injury he sustained in a motorcycle accident earlier this year.

The seven-time world champion was set to deputise for Felipe Massa at Ferrari from the next race in Valencia onwards, but said on Tuesday that medical tests had showed his neck wasn’t strong enough to withstand the physical demands of racing an F1 car.

“Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and team principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe,” Schumacher told his website.

“I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out.

“Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1 day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.”

Schumacher had admitted that concerns about his neck might derail his comeback plans after experiencing discomfort following a 67-lap test at Mugello in a 2007 Ferrari on July 31.

He pressed on with his physical preparations, losing 3kg in body weight and doing two days of karting in Italy last week, and was planning to get back behind the wheel of an F2007 on Tuesday.

But the 40-year-old said further medical checks on Monday afternoon had revealed that the neck problems were persisting.

“The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February – fractures in the area of head and neck – unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe,” he said.

“That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet.

“This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon.

“As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination already yesterday.”

The prospect of Schumacher returning after nearly three years in retirement had electrified the F1 world, and the German was relishing the new challenge he had set himself.

He admitted to being “disappointed to the core” to have had to call off the plans.

“I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me,” he said.

“I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power.

“All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races.”