Mercedes s550 or BMW 750i?

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Gentlemen,

I have to replace my company car soon, which presently is a Lexus LS460L. I've narrowed the class down to the S550 and the 750. Any thoughts, experiences or ideas you would like to share?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was faced with the same choice and went the a 750iL because I like the increased rear leg room and IMO better handling of the BMW. Sam would disagree. But this was back in 2006 I presume both have changed since then. iDrive sucks then and probably still does. Voice control was a sick joke and aggravation. I am sure that the people that did the UI for the iDrive never worked at Apple.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I'd hit the S class Bluetec. But thats probably not on your list.

750i.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I like the Audi A8 better, personally. Worth a look IMHO

H

HHGT

My neighbor had a 2008 750 and returned it one year ahead of its lease. He hated the car. I drove it on a couple of occasions and Clinton is right the iDrive is SHIT! When I was in the market for a luxury 4 door, I bought the S550 without even driving it - got it at the highline auction with 2,900 miles on it at 60% of retail, a no brainer. The car is extremely comfortable but does suffer from occasional rattling issue (behind the dash) when in Sport mode - dealer does not know how to fix it. Resale is horrible on the 7 series and bad on the S550. The stereo is awesome on the MB. If you can swing an AMG, I would definitely recommend it.

One last thing, the S550 gets 27 MPG highway.

H

HHGT

Agreed.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az

Same here! The A8 and S8 are great cars!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I'm with the A8 guys. I've had each and find the Audi to be more solid and require less maintenence. I've also had better experience with Audi dealers related to service and simply found Audi to be a better way to go.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Have an A8L.....love it.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
A8L:thumbsup

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
If you like the 7 series, look at the Alpina B7, I have a good friend, and fellow "Enthusiast", who's on his 3rd, can't wait to get the next one as they're now available with the all wheel drive. Car is a real sleeper, certainly worth a look if you're going to look at the AMG or S8.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
S550 is the ultimate cruiser. I am not a fan of the 750… sport cars and luxury sedans are only similar in that they both have 4 wheels, everything else is based on a different driving philosophy. Don’t get confused when you're shopping for your car. I have found that car companies find a way to mix the worst of both worlds when trying to mince the two together. I’ve only owned the S550 and it was a great car.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
For me.....it would be a used S65 AMG....an '08 can be had for less than a new S550, and once you experience that twin turbo V12, nothing else will suffice.

If you are a gadget hound, the new 7 series offers things like 360 degree cameras and a much improved UI for the i-drive. And the TT V8 is no slouch either.