Mecum Dallas Auction

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
There are two GT's in the Mecum Dallas auction next weekend. One is a Silver/Black stripe and the other is a White/Blue stripe

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
keep us posted on the results

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
i will be there for the auction. i will try to post with results on the two GT's.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I bet they'll sell for less their than they typically do online...but I could be wrong. Would love to see the final sale price though.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
If somebody could post the miles. These bigtime auctions rarely post miles as Manheim does. Also, if viewing in person, let us know if the cars appear straight, unmodified and never damaged.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
The White/Blue stripe has 6870 miles on it

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
If a seller had a car (any make) with an issue that is out of warranty the "collector auctions" would be a good source to sell it. There are no test drives, no warranty. Buyer beware. You bid , you own. Let's say you have a Ford GT or Bentley with a transmission issue ($20K repair or more). You could take it to the auction...it's not a visible problem, clean Carfax, nice history, no paintwork....even if it brings a net of slightly less than market you have done well. Odds are MOST cars at auction are ok mechanically....but not all. I'm not big on gambling unless I can't lose. If car was $30K below wholesale with my buyer's premium and I couldn't SEE or KNOW of a issue I would do it...otherwise no. Auctions are a scary place.....lots of remorse afterwards....not usually on the seller's part. I like buying from an individual....and that can be done after the sale when the car is a "no-sale". Then you can talk to the owner and drive the car. No fees.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
i have bought two cars at auctions and did not have a problem with either car. They were from a reputable auction house who had done their homework on the title and ownership history. it was my job to check them out thoroughly before the auction and either bid or not bid.

There is risk buying a high dollar car at auction, but if you know the VIN of the vehicle, you can do research ahead of time on boards like this, or with other collectors. the key is do your research ahead of time so you know what the risks are.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Nardo has really spelled this out well. Auction sales are well known as the place to dump a problem car. There really needs to be a huge break towards wholesale. I really enjoy speaking with the owner first, lots of info can be sorted out
with a short discussion.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
"Auctions are a scary place.....lots of remorse afterwards....not usually on the seller's part."

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. If it were true, auction houses like RM, Gooding & Company, Barrett-Jackson, Mecum, and Russo and Steele would not be doing so well. While I agree that there a risk buying at auction, there are ways to mitigate the risk.

The exception at a reputable collector car auction is a buyer who is not happy. Auctions are not for everyone, and no one forces a bidder to raise their hand and make an offer.

There is nothing wrong with buying from an individual, or even a reputable dealer. Any way a buyer and seller can come together on a collector car is usually a good thing for both parties.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
So far, I've purchased and currently own an '08 Z06, '08 Viper SRT10 and an '05 GT - all from E-bay - all with low to almost no mileage, all at great prices and not a single issue. My Z06 now has 25K miles, my Viper has 11K miles and my GT 2.5k miles. The GT was sight unseen and money wired - but that was to Shelby of course. You just have to know what you're buying and what you're doing. I have a buddy who just bought a 2010 GS with 3K miles from a dealer who claims they're the largest auto seller online. The car wasn't at all what it was represented to be, but he has no clue how to buy online or what to do. He was too eager and too trusting; didn't do the research and got somewhat hosed IMO.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
If anyone is at this auction let us know the true condition of these 2 GTs. They all look mint on TV under the lights.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
I just looked the two cars over. Here's the info:

VIN 401572, white with blue stripes. Mileage unknown. Paint is decent, but engine is dirty IMHO for a car about to be auctioned. Does not appear to have the transaxle bolts done as Torqx nuts are still on the car. The passenger rear wheel well has a 'genuine Ford' sticker with a bar code on it indicating that it may be a new part. It also has an odd tan plastic sticker on the wheel well.

VIN 401910 silver with black stripes. Unknown miles. Nicely detailed for the show. New looking tires all around. Transaxle bolts do not appear to have been done as Torqx bolts remain. Front spoiler is barely scratched. This is a much nicer example.
Let me know if you have any questions.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I just looked the two cars over. *Here's the info:

VIN 401572, white with blue stripes. Mileage unknown. *Paint is decent, but engine is dirty IMHO for a car about to be auctioned. Does not appear to have the transaxle bolts done as Torqx nuts are still on the car. The passenger rear wheel well has a 'genuine Ford' sticker with a bar code on it indicating that it may be a new part. It also has an odd tan plastic sticker on the wheel well.

VIN 401910 silver with black stripes. Unknown miles. Nicely detailed for the show. New looking tires all around. Transaxle bolts do not appear to have been done as Torqx bolts remain. *Front spoiler is barely scratched. *This is a much nicer example.
Let me know if you have any questions.

The white car was on the block a couple years ago...

From Texas GT post
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
"I was at the Leake auction in Dallas this weekend and there was one GT there for sale. It was a white with blue stripes, all option 2005 with about 6000 miles if I remember right. It was being billed as the 12th car built.

I found this strange since the vin was 1FAFP90S75Y401572 which would place it almost half way through the production year. I questioned the gent selling it and he was selling it for an Oklahoma doctor he said had paid dearly to get the car just after Leno got his (which was car number 10 wasn't it?).

I know the vin numbers don't reflect the exact production order but aren't they usually closer than this?

The car sold for about $135000. After the 8% commission it was far too cheap.

If the owner is a member maybe he could verify."

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks for the condition report. It will be interesting to see what they bring. Overall the cars at this auction seem to be bringing strong $$$

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Coverage starts at 1. Interested to see what they bring. Drunk Texans with money. Should be enertaining.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...just after Leno got his (which was car number 10 wasn't it?).

1st 10 went to the Ford family & # 11 was auctioned off. His was the 1st sold to the public.

(So it appears the auction's 'billing' for the white/blue wasn't quite accurate.)

Last edited:

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area

That is a nice car...........and very rare color in the 429 world.................I would love to know what this car sells for...as I am thinking of selling mine, which has never taken less than a Gold in many National MCA and SAAC shows (div 1)........and it is basically all NOS..except for tires and exhaust.

Gino