MarkH Camo FGT 267.6 mph Texas Mile World Record Video

Mar 15, 2006
[video=youtube;bVg3oXKt8s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVg3oXKt8s8[/video]

I just have to say that I am very proud to know MarkH. We go back a long way all the way to Gen1 Viper days. And I can tell you that when he sets a goal, he sets it high, and he achieves it. Mark, on behalf of everyone at Hennessey Performance, thank you for letting us be a part of this very special car. Many talented people (Kevin, John M., ShaneT, Patrick, Don, Dave) helped make Camo GT the fastest car at the Texas Mile. And its all because of you.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
:thumbsup :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Again, awesome job to Mark, John H, John M, Hennessey Performance and everyone else that has been involved with the project. Thanks for keeping Ford GT at the top of the heap. :cheers

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
That is freakin-a awesome!!!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
It is amazing how smooth that car runs. Absolutely tremendous accomplishment to continue to improve each year. Keep up the great work guys. It is a pleasure to watch the best in the world. :cheers

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
It is amazing how smooth that car runs. Absolutely tremendous accomplishment to continue to improve each year. Keep up the great work guys. It is a pleasure to watch the best in the world. :cheers

Agree completely. They make it look easy. Sign of a master at his craft.

Vince H

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congratulations Guys. Great job. It can't be as easy as it looks.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Incredible. Question from a standing mile noob. From the vid, it looks like he never made it out of 5th gear. Wouldn't he be able to eek out a few more mph by getting into 6th?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Incredible. Question from a standing mile noob. From the vid, it looks like he never made it out of 5th gear. Wouldn't he be able to eek out a few more mph by getting into 6th?

It depends on your engine's torque curve and redline and if you have changed the gearing. I have to shift into 6th, because I top out and 194 at 7K RPM in 5th with the Stillen's 3.9 gears. Most of the really fast cars are spinning up to or past 8K using the stock 5th gear. All bone stock cars will do best leaving in 5th. Mark McGowen proved that at Nardo.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
It depends on your engine's torque curve and redline and if you have changed the gearing. I have to shift into 6th, because I top out and 194 at 7K RPM in 5th with the Stillen's 3.9 gears. Most of the really fast cars are spinning up to or past 8K using the stock 5th gear. All bone stock cars will do best leaving in 5th. Mark McGowen proved that at Nardo.

Well, the question is "Is the car still accelerating at 8K RPM's in 5th"? And even if it is, would the rate of acceleration increase by shifting into 6th before redline in 5th? I 'think' I heard/read somewhere that the goal in mile runs is to ramp up to the highest gear possible as soon as possible??

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Well, the question is "Is the car still accelerating at 8K RPM's in 5th"? And even if it is, would the rate of acceleration increase by shifting into 6th before redline in 5th? I 'think' I heard/read somewhere that the goal in mile runs is to ramp up to the highest gear possible as soon as possible??

I would guess not, but I don't have and never will have 1st hand experience. But I have to believe the guys that do and go 230+ in the mile know there stuff and understand the torque curves and the limitations of the motors and drive accordingly. I believe, neither Ray nor Mark ever use 6th. Johnny might have used 6th or another gear box but Guinness didn't say.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Thanks again for all the kind words from everyone. No doubt the mile record is not just mine. I have a great group of friends that let me be a part of such a fun thing. No doubt wit the Camaro crash it sure puts things into perspective and makes me realize what a great group I am associated with. Thanks go out to Kevin Kesterson with Hennessey who built the car as well as John Mihovetz for a well built engine, Shane T for tuning the MoTec and Patrick O'Gorman for getting the power down the track safely. Also thanks go out to all the folks at Hennessey Performance including John, Don and Dave for allowing their facility to be used for such a great build. Not sure where we go from here but I will get with the group and see what we all feel is the next move. If this was the last race at the mile, it has sure been fun.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Thanks again for all the kind words from everyone. No doubt the mile record is not just mine. I have a great group of friends that let me be a part of such a fun thing. No doubt wit the Camaro crash it sure puts things into perspective and makes me realize what a great group I am associated with. Thanks go out to Kevin Kesterson with Hennessey who built the car as well as John Mihovetz for a well built engine, Shane T for tuning the MoTec and Patrick O'Gorman for getting the power down the track safely. Also thanks go out to all the folks at Hennessey Performance including John, Don and Dave for allowing their facility to be used for such a great build. Not sure where we go from here but I will get with the group and see what we all feel is the next move. If this was the last race at the mile, it has sure been fun.

Wrecks like the Camaro one can really make you think about continuing to run. I know it gives me pause and I don't run near as fast as you guys. If that was your last pass at the mile then you hit a walk off home run. Not a bad way to head off into the sunset. For selfish reasons because I love to see you guys run I hope you continue. But if you hang it up know that we all appreciate you allowing us to watch you make GT history. :cheers

By the way....unless I missed it on another thread does anyone know what caused the Camaro to wreck??

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I would guess not, but I don't have and never will have 1st hand experience. But I have to believe the guys that do and go 230+ in the mile know there stuff and understand the torque curves and the limitations of the motors and drive accordingly. I believe, neither Ray nor Mark ever use 6th. Johnny might have used 6th or another gear box but Guinness didn't say.

Johnny crossed the finish line in 5th gear. he has custom gearing that has geared his car up which allowed him to hit 283 mph in 5th gear....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Johnny crossed the finish line in 5th gear. he has custom gearing that has geared his car up which allowed him to hit 283 mph in 5th gear....

So Johnny was using a "stock" Ricardo gearbox with custom gears? I wonder why not bone stock and use 6th, other than that would cost another shift and lost of speed. Each time I shifted it took almost a second and I losted 2 to 3 MPH! I didn't want to rush it as if you grab the wrong gear it could be fatal. e.g trying to go to 6th but getting 4th instead.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
How come Johnny will not release a video of his mile run like everyone else does so we can see the action of the driver in the car and what it looks like as well as an outside camera view. Its just hard to believe that someone goes out and runs a supposedly record run of 283 but there is not footage of him taking off from the line and completing the run while showing him going through the gears and such.... I personally have spoken to him as well as he has told me that if you are NOT using 6th gear then "obviously you are not making enough power to run a big number like him". Seems like some different information has been given out.... Oh well, congrats to all the folks that go out and run their car time and time again showing how great the Ford GT still is.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location

Ummm. OK.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Mark, an amazing accomplishment. The video makes it look so easy! Well done.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats Mark!

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Mark,
Great run AGAIN..... Congrats, you have the true record... one question, how much horsepower do you think you have?