March trip

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
I'm going to be driving my FGT from SoCal to North Idaho late March. Not sure which route I'll take, but would like some feed back from those that have driven I-15, on speeds the police will tolerate. I don't intend to set any new land speed records, but would like to open her up a bit in the less populated areas.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'm going to be driving my FGT from SoCal to North Idaho late March. Not sure which route I'll take, but would like some feed back from those that have driven I-15, on speeds the police will tolerate. I don't intend to set any new land speed records, but would like to open her up a bit in the less populated areas.

Well I drove my F250 pulling a trailer with my GT in it from Phoenix to North Idaho last September. I pretty much had the cruise set at 80 and was running with the traffic. Never saw a LEO in Montana or Idaho. As you would expect the roads are wide open and pretty empty once you get north of SLC. With limited overpasses and sight lines miles long, I would say you could run pretty strong with a good detector. I'd be surprised if anyone was using laser on those stretches.

Where are you headed in North Idaho?

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
Chris I should have contacted you directly (whoops). This is Gregg in Spokane. I've driven I-5 to Portland then over to the Dalles and up to Spokane/Coeur d'Alene, I-15/I-90, and US 95 from Las Vegas.

I'm leaning towards I-15 because I'd like to air it out a bit (under the speed of sound). Which ever way I go makes radar detection a must. Suggestions?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Idaho

Any chance you have a red/white stripe and were in Harrison for the "Haul your Ass to Harrison" car show last September?

Jim

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
Idaho

I would be very careful about watching the weather report. Rain can often become snow in Idaho March. Thats how you go from the best car on the road to the worst!

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
Responding to 2 questions at the same time: Never been to Haul your ass to Harrison (but the drive would be great if you like windy road) and, I'll only be concerned about that going through 4th of July pass and the Silver Valley (maybe a little on the Montana side). Hope I'm not being a little too flippant.

Gregg Thurman

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2007
A friend has suggested US 93 from Las Vegas to Missoula, MT. He hasn't been on it in about 20 years but says its lightly traveled and very straight with no overpasses. Only drawback is that its two lane country highway. He did describe it as very fast.