Maintenance & Repair/Replacement Costs?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Searched, did not see much information. Now that the car is 6-7 years old and only 50% still have delivery miles:lol, I'd like to see some data on maintenance and repair costs for some common items. As you know, I've been cross-shopping other exotics, and the sheer number of $10k+ service bills are mind numbing. Just yesterday, I'm looking at a Murcielago roadster with $14k of service receipts for the past year and a half.:willy

So can you help me with costs for the following?

Oil Changes
Fluid Changes
Brake job
Rear end service
Clutch replacement (a $10k job alone on some other cars)
Engine rebuild
Transmission rebuild
Body panel replacement
Medical bills for hitting your head on the door:facepalm:

Or anything else you've done

Thanks!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I would say the only maintenance on the GT for the most part is routine oil changes and fluid checks and replacements according to the owners manual. If you do your own work all is fairly basic and not expensive. As far as clutches, body panels and tires, depends upon the the adjustment of the steering wheel retaining nut.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There are several people who have 50k plus on there cars.Perhaps they will chine in.The only expense is physical damage.Other than that its bullet proof.I have tracked mine many times .Pads,Tires,front racing rotors and fluid are the only items you need.After that its just change pad and fluid as necessary.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Pads,Tires,front racing rotors and fluid are the only items you need.After that its just change pad and fluid as necessary.

But what is the cost for replacing these items? Are they Ford level? Porsche level? Ferrari level?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
This is actually one reason I bought the GT. There are no exotic car dealers or service centers in the Tulsa area. The idea of having a Gallardo or something similar and having to truck it to Dallas/Houston to be worked on by a capable and certified shop turned me away immediately. I knew the local Ford shops had techs certified to work on the GT. I also knew full and well there would be some ownership expenses that would be more than a regular car, and I was OK with that.

I'd still love to have a 458 Italia but at this time I can't afford to own one.

Sorry that I can't contribute any maintenance costs. I've only had the oil changed on mine.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I've only had the oil changed on mine.

Well how much is that?

Congrats on the great year Tulsa football had....from a UCF grad

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Sorry, I had three items performed.

Oil change: $216.74 total. Oil and filter $132.21. Labor $45.00

Fuel filter replaced: $197.47 total. Fuel filter $154.47. Labor $43.00.

Diagnose oil pressure gauge/sender. Gauge needle was bouncing around erratically.
Sender was replaced. $290.13 total. Pressure sender $71.25. Labor $218.88. (Cheaper than an $800 gauge, thank God!)

I disputed the labor hours because they already had the belly pan off the car for the oil change. I believe they tried to charge me "book hours" for the job originally. They knocked an hours labor off which was $100.00.

I probably could have done all of this myself but 1) I didn't have time and 2) I had just bought the car and wasn't familiar with it at all.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dude, all these items are cheap compared to what they'd cost to anything remotely in this ballpark, so if you're cross shopping between a GT, Gallardo, Murcielago, 458, 430, 360, 997TT, etc. the answer to the question is simply "a lot less."

I bought 4 new rotors for like $850, pads were a couple hundred bucks, oil changes are usually around $300, a replacement OEM clutch is around $2k from FRPP , an upgraded stillen clutch is $2k, and race level spec is $3500, etc.

If you really need an engine rebuild on any of the cars at this level, the answer is just going to be "a bunch." If for some bizarre reason you pop a stock or even remotely modified FGT engine, you can replace pretty much all the usual replacement parts for $10k, but that isn't something I'd be sweating. There's alot of guys on this website with 10,000-25,000 miles running double the power on the OEM longblock. Replacing pistons, rods or a crank in an Italian car is going to cost way more than that.

The GT is a very cheap car to maintain vs. every contemporary even if you get a GT where a bunch of stuff goes wrong. You could have a GT with virtually every thing wrong with it and you'd still be out less than the $90k cost of replacing a non-serviceable 458 transmission.

I've had my car coming up on 7 years. It has 26,000 miles, got the pulley/tune/exhaust at 1000 miles, the turbo system at around 10k. In that time the only required costs associated with it have been the oil changes, replacement of the halfshaft bolts, 2 sets of rotors and pads, and a bunch of tire sets. And it's worth pretty close to the sticker price.

Replacement body parts are a different story, and that is what insurance is for.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Dude, all these items are cheap compared to what they'd cost to anything remotely in this ballpark, so if you're cross shopping between a GT, Gallardo, Murcielago, 458, 430, 360, 997TT, etc. the answer to the question is simply "a lot less."

Even within this group there are vast differences, this is why I want to quantify GT costs.

The 997TT is no more costly than a BMW 3 series (currently have a 996TT and a 335i)

The Gallardo is pretty reasonable for what you get

Any Ferrari and 12 cyl Lamborghini are "OMG" on the maintenance scale

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was under the impression an installed clutch for a 997 TT was around $2k. Is that really what it costs for a BMW 3 Series?

An E-Gear clutch is $5k+ installed and you're not making it last as long as a GT clutch on stock or near stock power. The Lambo dealer by my house wouldn't do an "oil change" for the Performante, they just said they would schedule a "service" that cost a couple thousand bucks to change the fluids.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Maintainance cost are a bit higher than my wifes Escape....but not much. Many parts are run of the mill Ford or other make, available OTC at the ford dealer, or O'Reiliey for Motorcraft or at napa for Wix. Oil filters for instance are the same as most BMW 3 series. Brake pads are the same profile Brembos as the Shelby GT500s use so many compounds are readily available at very resonable cost. Many other parts are run of the mill Ford. Body repairs from damage are expensive as on other exotics but not maintainance. Oil changes are a bit expensive at the dealer due to the labor for removing a BUNCH of screws in the belly pans. I do my own service. Oil change, if that was all I did would take less than an hour. But i usually do a bunch of cleaning etc.

Replaced my oil pressure sender last time as the gauge was getting a bit erratic. Part was $35 and took all of 5 minutes to R&R while doing an oil change.

Give me a call next week as discussed or better yet come by my office for a chat. Can fill you in on a number of details. The GT really is a pleasure to work on and a pretty simple car from a technology point.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Does anyone have a copy of the maintenance costs for the Veyron , I remember reading here or on another forum what the costs were and thank god i was sitting down when I did , astonishing

I think the cheapest part of those cars is the purchase

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
DBK's cost estimates are spot on. I've done a lot of routine service work on the car myself. I have a four post lift so oil changes are simple and actually fun. Majority of work is removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the belly pans. While under the car I can check things out such as the oil pump, accessory belts, AC compressor and the gearbox. 10 quarts of oil, a Mann Beemer oil filter element, and 2 Wix air filters and I'm out less than $150. I've tracked my car enough to change the front rotors and pads 3 times. $500 total for the pads and rotors up front. Try getting that pricing on a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche.
The GT engine is pretty bomb proof. You would have to try really hard to grenade a motor ($35k) or a gearbox ($15k). The diagnostic system is OBD-2, so no secret SD-3 diagnostics like with Ferrari's. I've owned a modern Ferrari and the GT is way cheaper to maintain....and has retained all it's value over the last 8 years.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Hello Shark01 and welcome to the Forums. I'm curious as to what exotic cars you own or have owned? Maybe we can help you out with some specific apples to apples comparisons.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Oil changes 7 years ago were $300 but have dropped to about $215. Oil is $10/quart and you need 10 quarts. The time element is taking down the pans and then replacing them. I can't do the work at home, so I go to the dealer where I bought the car. They treat me very well despite changing hands since I bought. They allow me in the service bay during the whole process, but that's because I understand the car and am familiar with the ins and outs, and the techs like and trust me. Replacing brake and clutch fluid was lees than $200 and AC service is like any other Ford, less than $75. At 30K there is a big sertvice to change all the fluids and the oil pump belt. This will be less than $1K. With 28K on my car, I have yet to replace the brake pads (I know, the boys here will rag because I go so slow on the track). I had one headlight fog up and one clamshell latch both replaced under warranty. I had the Borla, short throw shifter and fire extinguisher put on by the GT Guys six years ago. Two gauges go bad (fuel, water) at $500 each plus $200 to install by the GT Guys at the track. Other than the little blingy things I purchased, the car has been cheap to maintain. If this is a big worry for you, then maybe you should look at something less exotic.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Listen ,if you are choosing between all the cars you mentioned .Is the money really an issue? Buy a car because you just love its attributes,or not. Its one of a very few cars made where you want more than one!

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
When I was looking at a new car, I was looking at the GT, MP4, Murcielago and the Superleggera.
After that have been looking at the LP640 I started to hear with Lambo dealers here in Scandinavia with the maintenance and costs and IT WAS SHOCKING!
Clutch change each 10000 miles at the price of around 19.000 in USD, with that they said that I should do a regular service at the price of almost 9.000USD.
AND if I was going with the LP I should have been aware of the tires because if the tire tread was not equal in front and on the back the the 4wd system can get damaged. So from there I dropped all my Murc plans.

About the MP4 there are no workshops in Scandinavia, I had to send it to Dusseldorf in Germany each time. SICK!
So about the GT, I had to just use the search here in the forum, found out that there are several GT gurus and fastpartsnetwork helped me out with:
*Engine oil
*Transaxle oil
*Filters
*Sparkplugs
*Magetic bolts to the transaxle
*Shipping costs
*12% toll fees
*25% taxes and ALL THIS came at the same cost as I payed ONLY for the transmission oil to my GT-R here in Sweden !!! So the GT MUST BE the cheapest supercar out there!!!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^^ If you don't buy one of these things, your'e nuts.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here are some estimates from what we typically charge:

Oil Changes ~$260 (Typically every 12-18 months)
Fluid Changes ~$275 (Every 3 years per Ford's intervals)
Brake job- MUCH easier than most cars. Frankly have seldom needed to do them except for upgrades
Rear end service ~ $200 (Transaxle fluid change. After first year and then every 3 years thereafter per Ford.)
Clutch replacement ~$4,000 (But RARELY ever required. We've done many but typically only for guys who are racing.)
Engine rebuild ~ Not sure why it would ever be considered. Many 1,00HP TT cars - and still never needed to rebuid a motor.
Transmission rebuild ~ Same as engine. Relatively bulletproof even in 2X OEM HP levels
Body panel replacement ~ Expensive. Front left fender as example is about ~$7,000

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
if it helps, it was about 6-7 hrs labor to RnR the blower to replace with a whipple. about 4-5 hrs to RnR the fuel filler nozzle if you have done it before. Plugs are "right there" and take minutes. Removal of the stereo head unit is a 15 minute proposition if you wish to add RCA cables for mp3 input.