Lowered seats

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Grace,
I talked to you (I think) at the Barrett-Jackson auction, I am sure that you would not remember me but I was talking to you about lowering the seat in a GT. I am 6'-7" and I like to run my cars on the track. I need some extra head room to fit in the car with a helmet on. Do you sell lowering kits for the seat that I can install myself? I would like to keep the car looking stock with the stock seats but I need about 2 more inches of head room to fit with the helmet. I could go to a race seat and manufacture a bracket but if you have something that would work I would be very interested.
Thanks
Ted

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
Now, honestly, how could I forget the only person who is 6'7" that sat in the car? The change to the seat is internal, it gets a hair more than two inches of gain to drop it the way that we do. We also install a bladder in the seat base so that a shorter person can raise the seat to stock ride height. The conversion needs to be done at our facility, but only the seat needs to be sent to do it, four bolts and a clip and you are ready to send, a quick alteration and it's back to be reinstalled.. the ride height of the seat is not changed so there is no visable difference for people to see when the car is sitting. Here is a little pic of converted seat next to the stock seat..

lowseatsm.JPG

hope that helps,

~Grace

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I take it that you removed some of the padding from the bottom of the seat and replaced it with an air bladder. Does the conversion make the seating more connective with the road, thus also less comfortable than stock?

Does the complete seat need to be shipped to you, or just the bottom part? Is the passenger and drivers and passenger seat bottoms the same, such that I could send the passenger side bottom and swap it with the drivers side once the conversion is done?

BlackICE

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for the reply, That was not the answer I was looking for. I fit in the car without a helmet and I want to keep the car as stock a possible so I guess it is race seat time.
Thanks again
Ted

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I am only 6'0" and my hair brushes the top of the roof. With an helmet I am sure that it would hit the top of the roof. 2" of lower would be good for me for everyday driving as well, since I have to always move my head down to see out the rear view mirror. I need to do this to get a clear view of any emergency vehicles that may following behind me, before I have to pull over to sign some papers!

BlackICE

Last edited:

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ahh yes, the pretty lights of high speeds.. :biggrin

I have a couple of clarifications.. first to blackice.. no, the padding is not removed, it is changed.. and just as comfortable as the stock seat. if not moreso as the sides and base can be adjusted to exactly where they are best for you...

1) the bladders can be installed to snug up the sides of the seat, there is a lift to raise the base of the seat the two inches, or whatever degree is preferred by an alternate driver.

2) a lumbar support option is available for the seat back.

3) the base of the seats are the only part that we require to do the lowering, and they are interchangible so you can send the passenger side base in and then install it as the drivers seat base..

:cheers have a great day all..

~Grace

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Do you have an option to supply a new lower seat section so the one could keep the original one unmodied? If so what would the pricing be?

BlackICE

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
we are looking for an alternate base that may be cost effective if someone wants to save the stock seat.. the base of the stock seat.. yes, just the base is more than $3,500 before work is done to it.. so we are looking into a possible alternate that is compatible.. I will keep you posted to what we find.

Thanks
Grace

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
When the lower seats are uninstalled from the top the bar for the adjustment can thread from the other side. I had a long talk with the upholsterer about this today and he believes they are in fact interchangible. I had to double check with him because of an earlier question from a client.

~Grace

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
We have several in getting the conversion, I will ask our upholstery guy to install one passenger as the driver seat to be sure but we went through all of the parts yesterday to be sure it could be done, I appreciate the info, I will have it put in just to be sure and let you know for certain,..

~Grace

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I too was wanting a new seat so I don't have to alter the original, or do without for several days.

Also, cargirl mentioned that only the base of the seat is needed, I thought I read that the sides become adjustable as well? Is that the sides of the base or the sides of the seatback. I never got a price quote for lumbar, which of course requires the entire seat right?

I also was unclear about the answer on silver grommets. The upgrade to silver grommets requires a new seat, or is just silver grommets?