looking for info about the Ford GT90

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Hello,
I am building a detailed model of the Ford GT90 and have the following questions:
1) Instruments/dials/gauges. I have pics of the instrument cluster in front of the driver, but the gauges at the door pillars (3 at the drivers side, 1 at the passenger side) are unknown. Does anyone know what they are and/or have pics of it? I am assuming the left ones are water temp, oil temp and oil pressure, the passenger side a clock, but any detailed info would be appreciated. Are the gauges from a known brand or completely custom made (I can't find the used font of the numbers)?

2) On some pics (with the door open) it can be seen that the upsloping part of the sills have a meshed triangular opening. You can see a small part of the vents sticking out when the doors are closed. What are they? They seem useless because the closed doors block their path.

3) Was any aerodynamic testing or research performed on the car? The back end seems quite dangerous. With the spoiler down I expect some positive lift, when the spoiler comes up there will be a serious amount of positive lift and only when it's fully up it has a nose down position and will generate negative lift (but the wing itself has a positive camber). I wouldn't want to raise the spoiler while driving.

Thanks in advance.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rjZnUZ8ums

definitely shows some of the features of the New GT in development.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Yes I know that video. I have found a lot of info about this car. For anyone interested:
A short video of the engine running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dsYE509iYE&list=WL&index=38
Detailed pics of the partly disassembled car in the same shop: http://imgur.com/gallery/WJbzb
A collection of GT90 pics: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/don.mcgrory/
Basically that's it apart from exterior pics of the original unveiling and an appearance at Goodwood.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
the GT90 was a mid 90's (1995) concept car launched by Ford to compete against the Jaquar XJ220 some say...

http://jalopnik.com/the-ford-gt90-may-have-been-the-greatest-concept-car-ev-1441257780

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Fred Goodnow and Camilo worked on it..
andy (ajb)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wasn't Roback in on it?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Not that I am aware. I think Rich was building Lincolns at the Wixom Assembly Plant back then.

Camillo was in Advanced Design and Fred Goodnow was in Advanced/Special Projects Engineering.
The GT90 was a cool ' edgy ' design. I was in the Design Center working on the DN-101 Taurus and Sable.
Maybe Fred could chime in or Camilo if he is lurking..
andy (ajb)

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I believe that a Forum poster here used to own it

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Thanks, any info appreciated. Hope the "insiders" can fill in the details.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
I did the stereo in the GT90...that's when I first met Fred...talk about a taskmaster! Like they say, "...if you want to get the job DONE, give it to a busy man" .... he was all over that! :cheers

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Although I was not on that program, while Fred and I were writing the "Ford GT Team History" book, we spent a lot of hours together talking cars. (he was a drag racer too with a 57 Chevy) He told me a few stories about the GT90. The hoops they had to jump through with NASA to get the same heat tiles used on the space shuttle for the triangular exhaust was crazy. I've been told that there were 2 of the hand built engines made. One for the car, and one stashed away in some secret store room at Ford or Roush. Not sure if it's still around or not.

If you can talk to Fred, and he's willing to talk, he would be the guy who knows. The man is pure genius. I think he has retired about 5 times already, but he just can't slow down. My hero.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
The 90 Degree V12 was laser welded together. There were at least two engines, and more likely, three of them; one used in a Lincoln Continental. Out of the ashes of the 4.0 4 cam V8 modified engine came the 6.0 60 Degree V12 used in the Aston Martin. I spent a few hours photographing the GT90 shortly before it found it's new home.

Regarding interior shots...
GT90-Interior-1Fa-s.JPG

When making a realistic model, be sure to include the signed plate
plate-1.JPG

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Thanks, great pics. That interior takes my breath away every time I see it. I have been working on Pagani models the last 2 years and it is striking how many similarities there are between the Zonda and the GT90. Esspecially the interior; milled alu parts, carbon fibre console, patterned leather on the floor, the stitching in the seats and door cards. When looking at the exterior the glass dome and exhaust layout are similar. Also the engine spec. V12 and 700bhp. I can see the flaws and techical problems of the GT90, but what the designers achieved in such a short time and tight budget is truly amazing. I wished they had been given a few years to get the car finalized and matured and it would have been on par with the other hyper cars. Ford could have entered the hypercar niche, but the management chickened out. I wonder if they now slap themself in the face seeing 1 million dollar/euro hypercars sold like cupcakes.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I don't think so. Ford sticks to their roots, producing affordable cars for the masses and does quite succesfull. Nowadays the engineering costs for a car are getting higher and higher, so their impact on price is quite high. Also you need a total different marketing/sales organization to get your brand value up so (rich) people buy these cars. We can be very happy that Ford management has decided to build the 2005-2006 FGT to celebrate the birthday of the company as well as the 2016-2018 NGT as a technological showcase for 50 years Le Mans victory. I am quite sure that this is a pure marketing project and Ford does not make a profit from it.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I believe that a Forum poster here used to own it

Brett Hajek from Hajek Motorsports now owns the GT90

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Thanks, great pics. That interior takes my breath away every time I see it. I have been working on Pagani models the last 2 years and it is striking how many similarities there are between the Zonda and the GT90. Esspecially the interior; milled alu parts, carbon fibre console, patterned leather on the floor, the stitching in the seats and door cards. When looking at the exterior the glass dome and exhaust layout are similar. Also the engine spec. V12 and 700bhp. I can see the flaws and techical problems of the GT90, but what the designers achieved in such a short time and tight budget is truly amazing. I wished they had been given a few years to get the car finalized and matured and it would have been on par with the other hyper cars. Ford could have entered the hypercar niche, but the management chickened out. I wonder if they now slap themself in the face seeing 1 million dollar/euro hypercars sold like cupcakes.

The GT90 was built on the already old XJ220 chassis, and was never more than a design study, and program that was somewhat of a feasibility study IMHO. This was an era when concepts were really out there, and that is exactly what the GT90 was.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Brett Hajek from Hajek Motorsports now owns the GT90

Thanks, I will contact them.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
The GT90 was built on the already old XJ220 chassis, and was never more than a design study, and program that was somewhat of a feasibility study IMHO. This was an era when concepts were really out there, and that is exactly what the GT90 was.

I think it was more than just a design study. It was a fully functional car. There is a picture on the web where it's seems to be doing its topspeed at around 280kph. Could be a fake picture though.

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
It will be at the OKC Auto Show Mar 4-6. I will try to take some current pics if you would like. Anything specific?

http://okcautoshow.org/

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
It will be at the OKC Auto Show Mar 4-6. I will try to take some current pics if you would like. Anything specific?

http://okcautoshow.org/

Oh that's great, thanks. Yes if possible (if the doors are open) can you get a pic. of the interior rearview mirror? Especially how it is mounted to the main windscreen structure. The mirror is mounted on 2 thin spokes which are visible on every photo. But I have no idea how it is installed inside the car. Are the spokes fitted to a baseplate that is bolted to the inside frame? Or maybe do the spokes run through 2 tubes that are integrated in the window frame? I suppose it will be displayed with doors closed but who knows. Also the instruments are still a big question mark. Probably only black glass facia are visible but who knows dials are visible.

If you happen to see someone at the car please ask why there are air intakes in the sills.
With the doors close you see only a small slot:
HuZU48V.jpg

When the door is open you can see the whole triangular air intake in the sill:
KatV7Gd.jpg

What is its purpose, or is it fake?

Also on this pic. it looks like there is a carbon housing for the NASA tiles formed exhaust housing:
MUDxXkB.jpg

On other pics I have seen a cover that looked like stainless steel. Or is it the tile material self that displays as a sort of carbon structure? Question is what it really is.

What is the color of the inside of the front light housing? It contains 6 small light pods, but it is impossible (due to the sky or light reflecting on the glass) to see if the white paint is also applied inside the light housing, or did they paint it silver?
GWQQ96b.jpg

Thanks in advance.