Looking for a Paint Sample From a Broken Wheel

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Might be a wild goose chase or just stupid, but when I bought my car, someone had already painted the optional wheels black. I want to throw a wrench at them whenever I pass by. After a bunch of research, no one has ever identified the paint code. So I was wondering if anyone had a wheel broken into small pieces that I can get a paint match from.

Thanks (I think)

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I'd buy an OEM silver set and sell the black ones. I'm sure they'd sell.

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
go by a high end body shop,they have computers that will tell you if you can find someone to drive by one on this forum with thier wheel,mine is parked for winter here in st louis

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Both valid suggestions thanks. Have thought about selling mine, but I think the hassle factor gets in the way…..I have to like the set I buy (not an issue if new), shipping is a pain, any anyone that buys mine has the same stuff to go through.

As far as having someone use their car as a sample, that really takes someone doing me a solid. And Houston is so big that it would be easier for the guy to take it to his place and get an equivalent PPG match, but again, a big favor.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Personally I'd rather pay shipping for OEM wheels than for paint that may or may not turn out the way you want; and will it last. I think if you read around on the forum I seem to remember nobody has ever figured out the formula to paint wheels exactly the same as OEM silver, and the OEMs are so nice that's what I'd want.

Reactions: dshears

Tomcat

GT Owner
I believe its not just the color, its the pearl, etc...
I went through this years ago when I had some blemishes touched up. My high-end wheel shop custom blended some and I kept the left-over supply for about 5 or 6 years and then the paint/material became unserviceable.
The touch-up was successful (but I also got another set of the BBS optionals just in case).

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
maybe if you get ahold of bbs,they can figure it out?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
People have tried to match the wheel color over the years. There are many topics on this subject. Noone has declared success. If you're repainting a whole wheel or all of them you'll probably come close enough but for touch up without a complete repaint it'll not match.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Would be repainting all 4 wheels

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
We powder coat them and can get pretty close to oem color but there is no exact match. You will not be able to ppg paint match them if you try and do a profit reading on them. Everyone has tried and it's just not possible. The process BBS did for the color is something only they know.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Would be repainting all 4 wheels
Did you use search? I'm pretty sure that people have posted one or more recipes in the past.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Did you use search? I'm pretty sure that people have posted one or more recipes in the past.

Oh yeah, searched the crap out of it. The only person that made a reasonable suggestion was Shelby back in the day, but I thought these new computer matching equipment could take a sample and get close enough.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
We powder coat them and can get pretty close to oem color but there is no exact match. You will not be able to ppg paint match them if you try and do a profit reading on them. Everyone has tried and it's just not possible. The process BBS did for the color is something only they know.
Can you let me know what the shade is? Then a guy could mix in the metal flake.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Many people have tried. BBS will not give you any help. Best to get a color you like and paint all four wheels. Not being trite, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: dshears and PeteK

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
When my ‘05 was refurbished by Rich last year, all 4 rims repainted. Close but never going to be exact to BBS process. They all four match and that’s what matters most.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
don't try to reinvent the wheel.
I’m an Engineer, that is what we do

Reactions: PeteK

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
When my ‘05 was refurbished by Rich last year, all 4 rims repainted. Close but never going to be exact to BBS process. They all four match and that’s what matters most.
Do you have a paint code number?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is your time to waste.

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
i know one thing,the factory coat on these wheels are beautiful in the color,pat on the back for whoever came up with the potion

Reactions: extrap

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Despite some of these comments, I found BBS to be easy to deal with. I contacted them about touch-up paint for the wheels and they gave me a bottle. The code on the bottle is Silver DSK 09.40.061S. Don't know how helpful this is.

Reactions: roketman