little water under the car

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
I have noticed that there is a little spot of water under my car directly inside the front right wheel maybe inwards about 1 foot , the spot of water is about 2 inches in diameter and I noticed it when the car had not been driven for a month ,

I thought at first it might have something to do with the AC melt down , but it seems to happen even when the car sits still for a month and no AC has been running

Any ideas

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Look closely at the electric intercooler pump, there is a weep hole on the bottom side of it but, it is rather hard to see while still bolted to the bracket. You might have to unbolt it from the bracket to see it but based off my experience there is a high probability that will be the issue. I have replaced several of them in the last year and diagnosed a few more. Unfortunately, it seems the replacements from Ford were all made in 2006 and I have had to go through a few to get a good one that doesn't leak due to the seals drying up while on the shelf for so many years. Overall the job is very straightforward and doesn't take long.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, to make your misery more complete, think about this. The GT has no water in it.... anywhere, front or back. Hmmmmm. Almost has to be condensation of some sort. Based on stated location - this is directly under the AC drain tube so for one reason or another you have a little latent pee from the drain tube.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Look closely at the electric intercooler pump, there is a weep hole on the bottom side of it

Could be... but the drip shouldn't be water then, it would be coolant.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Could be... but the drip shouldn't be water then, it would be coolant.

Correct. He will have to make that determination.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Also keep in mind, OEM the ac drain, spills into the forward belly pan, so it could puddle for a bit. It would not last a month. Because of this, I extended my drain, to keep the pan dry.

H

HHGT

Keep in mind Rodents pee too.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Before the rally I took my front splitter off just to check things out underneath. I found maybe a 1/4 cup of water (definitely water) sitting on top of it that ran out. My car stays in a climate controlled garage and at the time it hadn't been driven in 2-3 weeks and hadn't had a bath in 6-8 weeks. Not sure what may have caused yours to just start dripping (maybe a settling tire?) but I'll bet it is wash water or condensate.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks guys for the quality responses , based on the information provided I have checked and it is definately water , not coolant and it is probably left over water in the belly pan from the AC condensation , or at least that is what I think it is

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
So if you run the GT,..like I did yesterday,..and run the AC,..like I did,..and park the car,..should we assume any little puddle of water roughly under the front axle?
Looked like it was a few inches behind front axle.
Sure looked like water.
Certainly wasn't oil.
Thank you

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes Bigfoot, you are correct. There is a small hose from the drain that might be misplaced but should hang down slightly in the location you identified.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Thank you
Initially I was shocked to see fluid but I've never used the AC and then put the GT right in the garage.
After thinking about it I was certain it must be H2O so I backed out the beast cleaned up the fluid just to make sure what it was.
Happy camper!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
OEM the AC condensate drains in to the metal belly pan under the front axle, at which point it leaks out through he holes in the pan. I used a small plastic tube to extend this, to have it not drip into the belly pan, but straight to the ground. A forum tip I got from someone here, MANY years ago.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Thnx. Good idea.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The cheap black cars must not have come with drain tubes. My red car had one.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Any picture of the drain location and the plastic tube extension would be appreciated it !

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So if you run the GT,..like I did yesterday,..and run the AC,..like I did,..and park the car,..should we assume any little puddle of water roughly under the front axle?
Looked like it was a few inches behind front axle.
Sure looked like water.
Certainly wasn't oil.
Thank you

Taste it.

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Any chance of a picture or update on extending the condensate tube.
I’m thinking of drilling a hole and extending the tube through the belly pan.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Any chance of a picture or update on extending the condensate tube.
I’m thinking of drilling a hole and extending the tube through the belly pan.

No need to drill anything, see Blackice's post here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/7870-A-C-condensate-line-Belly-pans?highlight=tube

Last edited:

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
I can't open the pictures.
How about a description of what he did?