Leaving the trunk and clamshell open

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Just wondering, but after a nice ride out and about, I got my car back to my garage where I keep it and felt around and thought, wow this car is warm, so I opened the trunk, and the clamshell to let the hot air dissipate faster. When I was done with doing some stuff, I closed it up and left to go home.
My question is, can I just leave them open over night or whenever I get back up there again? I do plug the car into a tender after every use. Just thinking that that would help the car cool down faster and in return be better for the car.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Fran, They suggest opening the clamshell after a good run to let the engine heat escape . This also saves the vents to cool down and not warp as they are plastic. This is why the billet ones came about and are still available on a special run. Search engine is your friend. Glad you enjoying your car.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Question: still stock exhaust? That 6x8 has to block the heat.... also Cooltech has a license plate stand off kit or fab your own... it helps

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Leave them open whenever you want to (I would keep an eye on the struts to make sure they’re still in good shape to hold the clamshell securely open). Billet Aluminium vents are a must if you don’t want to deal with warped plastic vents.

Reactions: 93extxdps

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I just switched out the OEMs for John's billet pieces. The plastic pieces each had a couple of broken screw tabs. The billet pieces are works of art. I had them shipped directly to Rich, he smoothed them, and painted them perfectly to match. I have all the oem pieces bubble wrapped, and put away.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
RPM,
What took you so long to switch out to billet?
I saw a white NSX prowling your area on Sat!
Best,
Mark

Reactions: RPM217

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
RPM,
What took you so long to switch out to billet?
I saw a white NSX prowling your area on Sat!
Best,
Mark
Easy 15 minute swap and great improvement

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

If you don't want to leave your engine compartment open or you can't because your GT is stored up on a lift just pop the release and let it open the 4 inches to the safety catches. The heat can escape through the big gap and your engine won't get as dusty if you live in a dry area like Arizona. I always pop the hatch after a run to exhaust the heat and put it back on it's lift that way. Cheers.

Chip

Reactions: tmcphail

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Question: still stock exhaust? That 6x8 has to block the heat.... also Cooltech has a license plate stand off kit or fab your own... it helps
Yes stock exhaust. What is a license plate stand off kit?

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
If I leave the clamshell open, what about any locking feature? Or is there a factory alarm? All that heat kinda scares me, but I guess I am just thinking too much.

What started me on this kick was I did see my plastic vents on the top look like they were warping, but after cooling, they went back in shape, but ya all have convinced me to get all 4 pieces. I am going to have all of them powder coated satin black, that's the way they are now and I think on my car they look great that way.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
My uncle (also a Naval Aviator) used to leave the hoods on his cars open a few inches all the time for that purpose. It seems to make the rubber hoses and other parts last longer.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Yes, I have done that with my other cars also, and still do. But on the GT I am thinking that both the clamshell and the trunk need to be open. I like to lock up the car though when I leave it and wonder if leaving things open is really a good idea....think of the critters? And such?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
If the GT is parked under a lift, sections of split pipe insulation can be put on the runways over the clamshell to prevent contact.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Loosing the stock muffler will help with cooling and cool-off.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ditch the stock muffler!
The GT guys X pipe is my personal favorite

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Also get the GT guys clamshell lever that way you don’t have to go to each side of the card to release it it’s one solid piece

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look at the titanium x pipe now offered by 101 in Great Britain. It is really trick. You need a tranny cooler by Cool Tech as well.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Ditch the stock muffler!
The GT guys X pipe is my personal favorite
Also get the GT guys clamshell lever that way you don’t have to go to each side of the card to release it it’s one solid piece
What Ron said!! I have the GT Guys X-pipe, had the Borla, much lighter and sounds just awesome with the X-Pipe. Unless you're over 6'4" (too tall to drive the car without having other alterations) the clamshell release lever is just the best!! Should have been put on the car by Ford to begin with!!!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Maybe next time its out at The GT Guys place, but for now, I am new and want it stock. Just enjoying it the way it is for now, however learning stuff everyday! This whole leaving the clamshell open gig was just a question I guess of the alarm for Fords disable system, that when you double lock it, and leave the clamshell open, if there is any harm to it. It's plugged into a battery tender after every use also.