Le Mans Classic July 2010

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I remember a while back, I reported on a fine trip to Le Mans and how much fun it was to drive my GT on the track that is the spiritual home of our GT's. Quite a few here expressed an interest at that time about hearing more were another trip ever to be planned again.

I'm planning to go again this year - it's over the 9th, 10th and 11th of July and promises to be an absolute blast.

Is anyone on the Forum keen to attend?

Revolve in the UK (who used to be named 'Roush') are putting together the trip and I have details if anyone should like them - there's even a full speed run on the circuit..... I'm going all misty eyed just thinking about that element!

Namor

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2008
London, UK
sounds stunning. I took my car around the Le Mans short circuit last year, (the "Bugatti circuit" used by MotoGP) last year and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Dave Jones has kindly sent me the invite, how much Le Mans track time do we get? Are we the only ones on it so we're not under any rules? how many cars can go?

thanks

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The track session is a half hour exclusive session arranged by the organisers. 20 Ford GTs + 60 GT40's (original and replicas) + 20 De Tomasos - all lead by a Merc SLR. It takes place before Friday evening practice starts....

The full circuit is sensational, I got so excited last time that I very nearly stuffed my GT on an early corner! Got it all terribly wrong - braking in the middle of the corner etc.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The track session is a half hour exclusive session arranged by the organisers. 20 Ford GTs + 60 GT40's (original and replicas) + 20 De Tomasos - all lead by a Merc SLR. It takes place before Friday evening practice starts....

The full circuit is sensational, I got so excited last time that I very nearly stuffed my GT on an early corner! Got it all terribly wrong - braking in the middle of the corner etc.

THAT.....sounds like it would be so much fun! :banana I hate having to work for a living. :bored

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It's fun!

LeMans9.jpg

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I second that Chip and I would think it would be worth the trip just to get to see all the original GT40's much less get to drive the track.

Steve

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I remember a while back, I reported on a fine trip to Le Mans and how much fun it was to drive my GT on the track that is the spiritual home of our GT's. Quite a few here expressed an interest at that time about hearing more were another trip ever to be planned again.

I'm planning to go again this year - it's over the 9th, 10th and 11th of July and promises to be an absolute blast.

Is anyone on the Forum keen to attend?

Revolve in the UK (who used to be named 'Roush') are putting together the trip and I have details if anyone should like them - there's even a full speed run on the circuit..... I'm going all misty eyed just thinking about that element!

For those of us on this side of the pond, and if I can only attend either the LeMans Classic or "the" LeMans 24 Hours, which is a more interesting event? I enjoy watching the classic sports cars and the modern cars equally. thx

Ed

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I would say if you only had one choice and had never seen Le Mans before, then the 24 hours. But it's modern machinery of course... You have to stay up all night.

Check the Steve McQueen film for, what is, quite a realistic flavour!

Le Mans feels like chaos. Is chaos. Quite unique. :biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Great Photo!

An FYI for those of us on the left side of the big Pond, in G.B. and Europe GT 40 "kit cars" are about 40 to1 in popularity vs Cobra " kit cars". Just the opposite of here in the States.

It's fun!

LeMans9.jpg

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Waiting to go on the track.....

LeMans7copy.jpg

En route to Le Mans

LeMans2.jpg

Lunch stop

LeMans3copy.jpg

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Le Mans

Hi Neil-

I am going to both Le Mans 24 and Classic Le Mans. PM me when you can and hopefully we can get together.

-Gary

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Will do!

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
I live in the Netherlands and have a ford gtx-1,can you put me on a list to join the group?? thanks Willem

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I live in the Netherlands and have a ford gtx-1,can you put me on a list to join the group?? thanks Willem

Hi Willem, this trip is being organised by Revolve in the UK - do you need their contact details? Would love to see your GTX1, I have yet to see one in the flesh!

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
yes I want there details.thanks Willem

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Neilda,

me too, please! Did Roush trailer the cars to le Mans or did you GT drive?

Desi

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Desi, you drive your GT's from the UK to Le Mans.... avoiding les gendarmes sur la route! Great fun to have a convoy of GT's - I know the guys do it more often in the USA, but it's even more of a rarity in Europe.

Revolve's details are:

david.jones@revolve.co.uk

David is the chap putting the trip together and can give you all details.

As far as I am aware, Revolve will have a technical crew going down (to ensure any mechanical issues that might arise can be dealt with there and then) and also a luggage transfer from the UK to Le Mans and back again.

For those that don't know, Revolve were the technical partner with Ford on the GT, so they know as much about the GT as just about anyone - they service most of the GT's in Europe too.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Great to see so much interest in the trip. Kai - I have your message and have sent you a short reply, I'll send you full details tomorrow. Willem please drop me a pm or email to the address Neil suggests and I'll get details to you too.

In the next few days I hope to put up a page with more information on the Mountune Automotive web site to keep everyone updated with the latest news.

It's snowing outside here now - roll on sunshine in Le Mans...

Dave Jones

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
We will try to make it (my wife, son and I). We had to cancel a trip to England and France last June, so we're due!

piplani

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 30, 2006
Switzerland
I too.would like to come.Details pls.Thanks,JP