Kudos to Ford for their "Process"

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I know that there will be some sour grapes among those who were not selected in the initial round of builds for the new FGT. And for those loyal customers and fans who really wanted a new FGT, I hope that some day you will have your opportunity to buy one some day.

Receiving my notification that I am "IN" yesterdya evening was a great delight and a big surprise for me. As I downloaded the two documents attached to my email from Ford and reflected on the process that Ford created, I have to say, that Ford did a very good job so far. As a long-time Porsche and Ferrari owner, I have to say that we (as FGT buyers) are uniquely privileged to participate in what appears to be a very well conceived process to introduce this unique hyper-car to the marketplace.

I was reflecting on my experience with Porsche when the Carrera GT was introduced in 2004. Near the end of the production run, Porsche was begging me to take one their last CGT's off their hands as they did not have enough demand to sell every car they produced. They sent me to track days to drive the car gratis, and fell all over themselves to sell me a car. Likewise, the 918 suffered similar results in the marketplace with many 918's sitting on dealer's floors long after production was finished.

Ferrari has had different "issues" with their process with their hypercars being sucked up by clientele who had very secretive "inside-track" relationships with dealers and/or the factory. Ferrari keeps their clientele in the dark during the process making it difficult for the "everyman" to even conceive of owning one of their special editions. I have to say to Raj and all the Ford Execs that it seems they are doing it right by allowing everyone access to apply for the new FGT, then taking the process the next logical steps to keep the process moving along a logical path for the customer and for their own production and procurement planning. Good job Ford!

I look forward to the journey ahead. It will be somewhat difficult for me to choose all the colors and options this time around as there are many more options to consider. Purchasing my other 2005-2006 GT's were a piece of cake, because I chose them right off the dealer lot. It will different this time around with access to the people and a view to the build process. This is a very unique experience given the fact that I don't have to travel to Italy or Germany to participate in the ordering and build process for my new car.

It's a really cool thing to know that I already have met all the "movers-and-shakers" who created this car and will continue to build and market this new car, definitely something that I can't say for the Ferrari's or Porsches I have owned, it is a truly personal experience with Ford. - Again, Thanks Ford!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
+1 Tim. Nicely done, there's little to add to that other than mention of Ford's decision to put the car directly in the hands of the buyer. I'm certain the administration of that decision was in itself, a huge headache, but I know about 500 people who think that is as much as a differentiator as the car itself.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well put, agree 1000%. A treat and an honor to be selected, and to have insight and access to the people responsible for this amazing automobile. Makes to overall experience, even better.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Congrats Tim

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Well said Tim. Just another great example of The Ford team putting the customer experience first.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
+1 Tim. Nicely done, there's little to add to that other than mention of Ford's decision to put the car directly in the hands of the buyer. I'm certain the administration of that decision was in itself, a huge headache, but I know about 500 people who think that is as much as a differentiator as the car itself.

Nicely stated Tim and Rex.

Agree with how difficult it must have been. But Ford absolutely executed as Raj told us they would at the Rally 10 Design Studio. High praise to Ford's selection committee for giving the original ownership ranks due consideration in the allocation process.:thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Thanks for that Tim (Dad).

Sitting at the kitchen table, fresh cup of coffee, sunny day, seeing rabbits, squirrels and deer in the yard, black berries and huckleberries ripening nicely. And all my emotions on a high level.

So glad Ford found such a nice way to put these new GT's in the hands of appreciative owners. Not an easy task. As you wrote this morning, I'm excited and honored to be selected. The joy of reading that letter last night was a dream come true. Such a high!

And for those that weren't lucky yesterday, I would be happy to share my GT with you as I travel around this wonderful country.

Thank you Bony - God Bless America.

Thank you Lance - Life is good.

Thank you Ford!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Totally agree with all.. humbled and elated and today !!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Thanks for that Tim (Dad).

Sitting at the kitchen table, fresh cup of coffee, sunny day, seeing rabbits, squirrels and deer in the yard, black berries and huckleberries ripening nicely. And all my emotions on a high level.

So glad Ford found such a nice way to put these new GT's in the hands of appreciative owners. Not an easy task. As you wrote this morning, I'm excited and honored to be selected. The joy of reading that letter last night was a dream come true. Such a high!

And for those that weren't lucky yesterday, I would be happy to share my GT with you as I travel around this wonderful country.

Thank you Bony - God Bless America.

Thank you Lance - Life is good.

Thank you Ford!

A gracious offer, Jeff. Thank you, congrats, and let me know if you ever pass through South Dakota in your new GT!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That isn't a meaningless platitude from Jeff either. Clint, there will be another one to share in Florida.

Ford really had an impossible task and did the best possible under the circumstances.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I am happy to also share rides either in Ohio or Florida as the new car makes its way back and forth.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
That isn't a meaningless platitude from Jeff either. Clint, there will be another one to share in Florida.

Ford really had an impossible task and did the best possible under the circumstances.

Thank you, Paul, and congratulations, to you all. Despite the personal outcome I feared, I have MUCH respect for Ford, and the way they handled a difficult situation. While I am disappointed, it's certainly not the end of the world, and I sure don't have any "sour grapes" mentality. It is so nice to be able to commiserate with my Forum friends, win or lose! I am excited to watch the next phase begin for you, and really, for us ALL!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
A gracious offer, Jeff. Thank you, congrats, and let me know if you ever pass through South Dakota in your new GT!

Will do so with pleasure. And if it's your first ride. . . you'll be behind the wheel.

New one is down the road, and like everyone else, awaiting the details.

stew

Jan 20, 2015
Louisiana
I didn't get picked, but I can't see how they could have done it better. If only Ford GT owners were chosen, that's still a group of over 3,000 to select from without considering other factors. Those are pretty steep odds. Hopefully they can figure these out how to ramp up production like BMW did for the i8. They were supposed to initially build 500, but when demand was so high, they ramped up production to 7,200 delivered by the end of 2015. That's a carbon fiber exotic with a pretty complicated drivetrain. Surely Ford can do better!!! :)