King of the Hill: Ford F-350 Numbers Revealed!

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
01-ford-super-duty-jan-630op.jpg

Heavy duty truck lovers have been waiting for these figures for a while, so let's just cut to the main course. The 2011 Ford Super Duty can be had with two engines: the 6.2-liter gasoline-powered V8 found in the upgraded SVT Raptor, which puts out 385 horsepower and 405 pound-feet of torque, or an all-new, Ford-designed 6.7-liter turbo-diesel V8 producing 390 hp and a pavement pummeling 735 lb-ft of twist (at 1,600 rpm).

The latter engine in the F450 is able to tow some 24,400 pounds and has a maximum payload of 4,920 pounds. The F350, which is the closest competitor to the Chevrolet, GMC or Ram equivalent, comes to the fight with 21,600 pounds of towing capacity and 6,520 pounds of payload (if you're curious why the F450's maxium payload is less than the F350's, check out this explanation half-way down the page). Each engine is mated to a 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift six-speed automatic transmission.

Our First Drive of the new King of the Hill will be forthcoming, but you can get all the details in the press release after the jump. Oh, and General Motors, there's a big ass ball in your court.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/25/2011-ford-super-duty-power-towing-specs-released/

http://jalopnik.com/5479718/2011-f+series-super-duty-ford-tows-chevy-to-woodshed-smacks-it-around

Chevy had recently released their numbers for their new 3500 a few weeks ago and boasted about destroying Ford and Dodge in performance. Well looking out Chevy because that 6.7L is a beast from hell.

BTW - The new 6.7L is now a in house engine.

H

HHGT

Time will tell. Four Diesel Engines in a Decade or so is not a good track record.

Visually speaking the F series have always been stunning in the looks department over GM products - at least in my opinion.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Time will tell. Four Diesel Engines in a Decade or so is not a good track record.

Visually speaking the F series have always been stunning in the looks department over GM products - at least in my opinion.

Well as far as the engines go this is a big step in another direction as they are no longer using Navistar engines. The 6.7L Powerstroke diesel is made in-house by Ford Motor Company.

Last edited:

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Maybe I was misinformed but I thought they changed this based on new epa regulations not for performance or durability reasons.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They changed it because the relationship with International was what you could call "not good". You probably don't want the person building your engines to be the same person you are seeing in court during litigation.

6.7 is an animal. Quiet, no lag, tremendous torque. I'm told it can make 1000 lb/ft pretty easy.