Just a reminder...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Starting next year, recently passed federal legislation will let small automakers like Superformance build up to 325 complete cars annually without having to meet current crash test standards, just emissions rules. They’ll come with a VIN, just like any new car, making them much easier to register, insure and finance.

The hitch is that they have to be licensed replicas of cars that are over 25-years-old, not new designs..."

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/10/06/superformance-shelby-daytona-test-drive.html

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Except there seems to be very little interest in the Cobra community that believe a Cobra with a Chevy engine (the only one approved so far) isn't correct and even if a Ford Coyote were to come (which it eventually will) still want that old 427 sideoiler or other period correct engine.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i wouldn't mind a coyote in a cobra. wait that just doesn't sound right. May I can finally find an all black no stripe superformance after all. As to the above I don't know many cobras that run a chevy motor although there are some out there I don't think I have ever heard of a superformance one with a chevy in it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Except there seems to be very little interest in the Cobra community that believe a Cobra with a Chevy engine (the only one approved so far) isn't correct and even if a Ford Coyote were to come (which it eventually will) still want that old 427 sideoiler or other period correct engine.

Which confirms yet again that somewhere between the conception of a good idea, writing the legislation to bring it to life, and actually passing it into law, 'the powers that be' always manage to find a way to screw up the best of intentions. :bored

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
i wouldn't mind a coyote in a cobra. wait that just doesn't sound right. May I can finally find an all black no stripe superformance after all. As to the above I don't know many cobras that run a chevy motor although there are some out there I don't think I have ever heard of a superformance one with a chevy in it.

Oddly enough, Peter Brock's own Brock (Daytona) Coupe has a LS5 engine in it....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Which confirms yet again that somewhere between the conception of a good idea, writing the legislation to bring it to life, and actually passing it into law, 'the powers that be' always manage to find a way to screw up the best of intentions. :bored

There are some Cobra manufacturers that also make other replicas that will make use of it. Factory Five makes a 1932 Ford that they say they will likely do. The thing about Cobras is that people just can't get around having an engine that doesn't leak oil or require weekly tinkering :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Classic Ford with GM Engine = Fail

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Oddly enough, Peter Brock's own Brock (Daytona) Coupe has a LS5 engine in it....

Money doesn't buy you taste.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+100000 Like oil and water.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Money doesn't buy you taste.

+100000 Like oil and water.

Weeeeeeell...some would say doing the reverse is just as bad - or worse! But, most people in that camp get a kick out of seeing someone do it as opposed to considering it a case of 'auto blasphemy'.

E.g.: There's a guy in my area who put a Ford 'mod motor' in his '56 Chevy. 'License on his car reads "HERETIC" (so he obviously 'gets it', too!). Of course, the Chevy guys up here often give him the obligatory hard time about it (it is expected after all), but, it's a good natured hard time. IOW, I've yet to see anyone get shot or bloodied over it! 'Different strokes, and all that...:

http://www.whidbeycruzers.com/chevy-cars/

That said, there are certain cars which I personally think practically demand to have a proper 'factory' engine in 'em - and rightly so...like a GT40 replica for instance...or the aforementioned Cobras. Buuuut, that's just my own personal opinion...not the law of the land. YOPOMV.

:cheers

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The article also focuses on the Daytona Coupe, which is technically manufactured by Hi Tech (the manufacturer for both Superformance and Shelby fiberglass cars) but the Coupe which used to be sold by Superformance is now sold by Shelby as a CSX9000. They are quite nice and "softer" than the originals. I almost bought the first (of 3) alloy body cars that was hand rolled by HiTech (not Kirkham) but bought the Ford GT instead. My wife hated the Cobra and thought the coupe was just a Cobra with a hard top.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... My wife hated the Cobra and thought the coupe was just a Cobra with a hard top.

'Odd you should mention that.

There was a Daytona coupe sitting a few feet away from a GT40 we'd gone to see at a Superformance dealer's showroom/shop in 'Vegas (across the street from the L.V. Motor Speedway). Wifey spotted the Daytona immediately and asked me what it was. I told her, and then asked her if she preferred it to the GT40. Let's just say,"Hate it", falls far short wifey's actual response...:biggrin

There are very few cars the two of us disagree on looks-wise. The Daytona is one of them. :facepalm:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

First time I ran the Texas Mile there was a Superformance Cobra with a built small bloch Chevy. I think it ran 168. I asked the owner why he'd done that and he said the cheapest horsepower comes out of a Chevy engine. I agree - my MG Midget had a 383" chevy, 501hp, cost me less than $5k. Try and build a smallblock Ford with that amount of power for $5k!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You can get your heart surgery cheaper in Guatemala.

Go for it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...the cheapest horsepower comes out of a Chevy engine...my MG Midget had a 383" chevy, 501hp, cost me less than $5k. Try and build a smallblock Ford with that amount of power for $5k!

...precisely why we see SBCs in so many 'vintage' Fords ('32s, etc.)...that, and the fact the SBC is about 1" 'shorter' longitudinally and has a rear sump vs. front. :wink

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You can get your heart surgery cheaper in Guatemala.

Go for it.

'Apples and ox carts much! :rofl

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
'Apples and ox carts much! :rofl

Of course. Point is cheaper is not always better.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Of course. Point is cheaper is not always better.

Understood. But, the reverse is also true, Grasshopper... :wink