Jumping Out of Third Gear

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
If you have had difficulty with your GT jumping out of third gear, please post (or PM me) as to what was determined to be the problem/solution.

Thank you,

- doc

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
no problem at 4800 miles....and I drive my at the track

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
2005 with 1300 miles and no problem with popping out of 3rd gear? PD :frown

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
There are reportedly only three cases of this occurring, but as yet, I have not been told what was determined to be the cause.

The shop manual covers this as well.

- doc

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
no problem in third gear at all

but first to second rapidly can simply go into neutral even though the shifter is lodged in second..

i have to bounce it out to neutral and reshift it into second

thnat is the only issue for me..

JOE

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
piko6 said:
no problem in third gear at all

but first to second rapidly can simply go into neutral even though the shifter is lodged in second..

i have to bounce it out to neutral and reshift it into second

thnat is the only issue for me..

JOE

I HAD the exact same thing.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My assumption is that some, if not all, of these anomolies can be explained by improperly adjusted shift linkage. For those of you with problems, I'd recommend trying to get together with someone with a car with no problem and compare "throws" of the two shifter arms protruding from the transaxle. I removed the entire muffler, so my arms are VERY accessible. In fact, I'm sure the guy behind me can watch me shifting through the license plate "hole".

Anyway, there are two cables. One of them moves the arm through a short arc, approximately fore and aft. The other cable moves this first arm up and down vertically. In other words, gears 1 & 2 are in the same horizontal plane. 3, 4 are in another plane, and 5,6 are in a third plane. (I didn't observe reverse yet.) I don't think it would be too difficult to get some reference measurements from a "good" car and compare these to a car with one or more of the symptoms in this thread. I suspect that one of these two cables may be 1/8" or less out of adjustment and could be easily remedied.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
It is possible that the linkage is the culprit, but I suspect not. The factory meticulously went through and adjusted the linkage before re-delivery. So we shall have to wait and see what they have found to be the cause in the few cases where it has occurred.

- doc

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The factory meticulously went through and adjusted the linkage before re-delivery.

Ooops, didn't know this had already been done.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Nota4re:

No, you may well be correct. Just because it was meticulously gone over does not insure that it is, as a result, correctly adjusted. Human error.

- doc

Last edited:

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
My 2006 has 2,800 miles on it and has started doing the same thing. It started with 3rd gear and has now also spread to 2nd - but with much less frequency. I had the linkage at the transmission adjusted one full turn which gave the shifter a much much better feel but has yet to resolve the jumping out of gear problem. I will have the linkage adjusted one more full turn and see what happens. And yes, as the shop manual suggests, the transmission / engine mounts got retorqued which was required in a few places.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Contact your dealer. It is a synchronizer problem. Have your dealer check for very recent service bulletins, but it is a transaxle issue.

- doc

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Hence my problem... I have yet to find " The One " Ford Dealer in my City / area to service the car and especially for warranty issues. I am currently using a very well respected Porsche facility by the name of AutoWerks owned by Courtney Walsh.

As well, unfortunately the Ford GT hotline could not advise me except for a general " go see an SVT Dealer". This person's response gave me zero confidence and hence my current situation.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Shesgotlegs:

Yes, that has to be very concerning. My selling dealer had no past experience with the GT, but another local dealer has some good people. They have sold several GTs and are now servicing them. They will be doing my transaxle work in the weeks ahead. I would like to swap exhaust systems at that time so it will be good to learn what Tungsten finds out in a comparison of systems.

- doc

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Doc,

Once you get the tranaxle work done and if it isn't to much trouble could you give me some of the specifics?

It may be good for me to have the bullets ready when I go see my dealer in a short while.

Thanks

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Would be most glad to do so, but I do not think I will be taking my car in for about 4-6 weeks due to schedule. I do not think you want to wait that long. But I'll let you know after the work is done.

- doc

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Did you ever find the answer to your third gear question. My 2006 has 4,650 miles. Never jumped out once until this week. Popped out under hard acceleration at 125++and now free wheels in third completely. No trans noise, all other gears fine. Can push shifter into third while driving 70 with clutch engaged. It may as well be neutral. Linkage appears to be functioning upon a visual inspection. help.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Allryze, you probably want to e-mail Rich Brooks at richbrooks@thegtguy.com

He has some experience with this problem with a local car that had the same thing happen.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Joe, did you find your issue to be the shifter adjustment or transaxle problem. thanks, Jerry

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
thanks much.