Jerry Wiegert, Vector Cars, RIP

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Jerry Wiegert passed away at the young age of 76. I met him around 1984 when he had a small shop in Venice, CA. He took me for a ride in his prototype, never getting into any type of trouble. He also drove my new at time DeLorean and of course he was NOT impressed! Take care Jerry, RIP
.Vector-2.jpg

Reactions: digman1

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I still remember how out of this world the car was, being a child at that time it made it high on the bucket list. In reality it Never happened, somehow too niche and too risky for me.

Still my heartbeat increases every time I see/hear something about it. He made an impression with that car he is going to be remembered for. RIP

Reactions: analogdesigner

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
RIP!
Was a cool car in the day.

Reactions: analogdesigner

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
RIP

I liked their use of breakers instead of fuses, lot of neat tech in the car, for the its time..

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
RIP

I liked their use of breakers instead of fuses, lot of neat tech in the car, for the its time..

Breakers would be great! Wonder why they aren't used?

Reactions: soroush

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
They are used in some cars for some applications, such as power windows. The window motors can draw a lot more current when they hit the top and bottom of the regulator travel. A breaker can be designed to allow some temporary over current before it trips, and then self-reset so it’s ready to be used again. The breaker will protect the circuit, and stop the window, without needing to replace a fuse.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Breakers would be great! Wonder why they aren't used?
Yes as pete said there are some self resetting breakers used in automotive but nothing like the vector. I suspect the cost is the reason.. I believe they are more common in aviation.. I think that was the original inspiration for the vectors design cues.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes, most likely cost, and probably also packaging. A fuse block is smaller than the equivalent space for circuit breakers.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Lets not forget weight.