Jeremy and the Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SV

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6627275.ece

Curious that the stock GT and this Lambo have exactly the same 0-60 time of 3.2 sec and top speed of 212 mph (at the Nardo ring) at a price of over $400,000...

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Is that what we really want?

Joe,

In my opinion, the most undesirable characteristic of a Lamborghini, is that they don't age well. In the 1970s as a schoolboy, I thought the Countach looked quite exotic. Today, the car looks ridiculous. Lamborghini stylists have always been successful at making their cars look outrageous. Spoilers, scoops, and flares of cartoonish proportions certainly garner a lot of initial attention. But with the passage of time these same features possess all the classic potential of a clown suit. Lamborghini's single exception is the Miura, a classically beautiful shape.

I really enjoyed that article. Especially Jeremy's analogy comparing the noteworthiness of two aircraft.

"Let me put it this way. I ran round the garden last weekend pointing at a Vulcan. I would never do such a thing if you flew over in a Gulfstream G500."

I must say I disagree with him regarding the notion that quirkiness, heavy control inputs, and poor reliability are all part of the character that makes Lamborghinis desirable to some people. I hear the same things said about late 1960s Triumph Bonneville motorcycles. Old cars are like old girlfriends. In hind sight, we tend to remember their desirable characteristics until our dying day, while the aggravating faults that led us to dump them in the first place soon fade from memory.

The magic of the Ford GT, is it's combination of the original's seductive shape, it's race heritage, incredible performance, and 1960s nostalgia, in a modern package 20% larger so we can fit in it, light precise controls so we feel like Ken Miles when we drive it, a great air conditioner so we don't perspire on our way to Don & Charlie's, and almost faultless reliability every time we push the red button.

THAT......is what we're really looking for. At least that's my take on it.

Chip

Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Joe,

In my opinion, the most undesirable characteristic of a Lamborghini, is that they don't age well. In the 1970s as a schoolboy, I thought the Countach looked quite exotic. Today, the car looks ridiculous. Lamborghini stylists have always been successful at making their cars look outrageous. Spoilers, scoops, and flares of cartoonish proportions certainly garner a lot of initial attention. But with the passage of time these same features possess all the classic potential of a clown suit. Lamborghini's single exception is the Miura, a classically beautiful shape.

I agree, it seems like the Countach is the "leisure suite" of the car world...Other cars like the AC Cobra, the old GT 40 and the 911 are like a black tux, they never go out of style..

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Diablo = Geezer

I agree.

I do love the Miura (esp, the SV); however, it does have a strange fish-eye look when you are dead on straight-sqaure in front of the car (the F 275 GTB has this too). The front width/point is narrower and it gives it a slightly reptile quality. Its almost never shot at this angle. Its the mole on a super model.

The Diablo is the worst of the bunch; aged badly....sorta 80s mullet/90s big hair combination.

I think the Murci will age better; not the Gallardo (nose is too snubbed).

The first Countach LP400 with slotted black bumper is actually pretty clean.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
As a fricken car knutt through and through my being able to have something from every significant moment in time has be wonderful however the lack of space and expendable funds precludes me from having all of that at the same time and yet I have and will continue to enjoy them all; even the Countach. The Countach is a terrible gal to drive any distances any yet they are in the truest sense a depiction of a significant turning point in the exotic car arena.

There is no doubt that I have my favorites with the Ford GT being one of the gals at the top of my list however I also like a laundry list of other gals too with each one having her own character as such stimulating me in a different way.

Takes care

Shadowman

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have a different perspective than what it sounds like you all have.

Lambos...I love them all. Who cares how they age! They're absolutely beautiful...all of them! Practical...maybe not, but since when has that mattered? They all have thier quirks.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I still love the looks of the Countach.....but I have also been called a dinasour. :ack

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Me too. I know that they're hell to drive but so what. It was the most edgy car ever at the time and still holds that place in history. Maybe I'm dating myself but when that thing came out it was without question the most exciting development in the automotive world.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Me too. I know that they're hell to drive but so what. It was the most edgy car ever at the time and still holds that place in history. Maybe I'm dating myself but when that thing came out it was without question the most exciting development in the automotive world.

:agree: 'Never forget the 1st time I saw one on the road!:eek:eek:eek 'Darn thing was (naturally!!!) going the opposite way on I-5 and there wasn't an exit for MILES for me to turn around on and give chase!

But, the bloom came off the rose when I sat in one AND CLOSED THE DOOR. The way the door's shape kinda "hugs" your shoulder & head r-e-a-l-l-y gave me an INSTANT claustrophobic sensation...and I don't normally HAVE that pblm. ('Sorta like a CONSTANT "Gurney" situation X 100, if you will.)

I do have to admit, though, that TODAY the car looks juuuuuuuust a little bit comic bookish to me more than anything else. But, MAN! Was it the end all and BE all back in the day!

'Amazing what the passing of a few years does to one's tastes/perceptions.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I still love the looks of the Countach.....but I have also been called a dinasour. :ack

Jeremy driving a Countach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQPjgzV1kA

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
The Miura took my breath away just like the Ford GT40 did when I was a teen.
Today I own the Ford GT because Ford brought the realm of possibility of ownership of the legend back to reality...but I still drool and dream over the thought of owning a Miura.
However if I did own a Miura, I doubt I would drive it very much if at all, and the beauty of the GT is I can drive it every day. :banana
OOhh, but the Miura is ssssoooooo sexy.

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Its funny how the Lamborghini Miura was designed to look like the Ford GT-40.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The Miura took my breath away just like the Ford GT40 did when I was a teen.
Today I own the Ford GT because Ford brought the realm of possibility of ownership of the legend back to reality...but I still drool and dream over the thought of owning a Miura.
However if I did own a Miura, I doubt I would drive it very much if at all, and the beauty of the GT is I can drive it every day.

The Muira was, and remains, a thing of beauty - just beautiful. However I really don't think any of us would want to own one, they're not particularly nice to drive especially with the fuel tank over the front axle giving the car different handling characteristics as the fuel load decreases!

The Muira concept looked wonderful and I wished they'd built it....

But you're right, you can drive the GT anytime. I drove mine last night - in the dark, in the wet!! I went to a lunchtime BBQ and by the time I left it was dark and raining - the GT was just lovely to drive at night, I'm pretty sure it's the first night drive I've ever done in it. Such a beautiful car to drive, it's easy to forget.... :cheers