I've redeemed myself.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Well, finally some of the forum members got curious after seeing my new edit to my signature line. After lots of "nashing of teeth", almost of Biblical proportions and many chides, criticisms, etc. from family and friends, I finally restored the "circle of GT's" and replaced my Midnight Blue, no stripe car. My son is picking it up in Missouri tomorrow, where it will go on to Phoenix and join those of us who are prepping our GT's for the rally at my home this coming Monday. I actually came a hair's breadth away from buying a Porsche Carrera GT this week. I promised the dealer I would let him know my decision on the Carrera GT on Monday. I was torn because I intended to trade my white/blue Ford GT in on the Carrera. I have a friend in town who is interested in a Ford GT and owns a Carrera GT, so he thought it would be a good idea for the both of us to trade cars, switch back and forth and play with the cars on Sunday afternoon. It was awesome for both of us, and made it abundantly clear to me that the Ford GT is the better car. The CGT is difficult to drive around town, is somewhat uncomfortable, and rattles and makes odd sounds everywhere from the driveline to the chassis. Due to the carbon fiber tub, etc. and light weight it feels delicate and sounds like it's constantly falling apart. In fact after our drive, I pulled into his driveway and the automatic spoiler system failed. Now the car looks like a drunken sailor with a lop-sided tail. I let the dealer know that I decided not do the deal. Instead, I bought another Ford GT on Monday. So I have replaced my Midnight Blue no stripe car for another Midnight Blue no stripe car. The "new one" is a 2005, with Mac, standard wheels and has only 2,000 miles. It is 98 cars "newer" than my white/blue GT (according to the VIN) My family loved that blue car and have repeatedly scolded me for selling it...I am now redeemed. Four amigos, all back together again!

Attachments

• 2005 Blue GT.jpg
    2005 Blue GT.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 496
  • 2005 Blue GT2.jpg
    2005 Blue GT2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 500
H

HHGT

That is awesome Tim. Also out of curiosity, did you get as much attention in the CGT as the FGT?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Congrats on restoring your stable!! :thumbsup

And thanks for quelling my desire for a Carrera GT. Now please say something negative about your experiences with a Mercedes SLR McLaren. :lol

:cheers

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
That is awesome Tim. Also out of curiosity, did you get as much attention in the CGT as the FGT?

Funny you should ask. One other "selling" point to keeping the GT's and discarding the idea of the Porsche is that more people "gawked", stopped, and asked questions about the Ford than the Porsche. And, I mean there was a marked difference in people's reaction to the Ford. It confirmed what I knew all along, the Ford GT is truly a SPECIAL car.:biggrin

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Congrats on restoring your stable!! :thumbsup

And thanks for quelling my desire for a Carrera GT. Now please say something negative about your experiences with a Mercedes SLR McLaren. :lol

I almost bought an SLR not too long ago, and for many of the same reasons I decided against the Porst, I decided not to buy the SLR. The ultra exotic materials (Carbon fiber tub, etc.) and exotic construction methods are a scary thought for service, maintenance, and long-term cost of ownership. Plus, the SLR looks like most other M-B's (to the regular guy on the street). I like the idea that I can work on my own Ford GT. I decided that I prefer "metal" cars!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Congrats. Rare find! Especially to own TWO no stripe Blue cars! :)

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, strong words in comparing the GT to the CGT. :eek With the greatest of respect, I'm gonna reserve judgement until I can one day exercise some seat time in the Porsche. :lol Until then, I now have one more opinion to keep tucked away while I enjoy my GT, one of the greatest cars ever built. :cheers Oh the joy in your house to have four (and have had FIVE!!!!!). Congrats on restoring your stable. :thumbsup Just how big is your garage?? :willy

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You dawg Cantwell!

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
The Porsche Carrera GT is a stunning looking car (and it should be for that price) but it has issues. I purchased one for my good friend and former business partner as a gift and even though he really knows what he is doing (as a driver) it almost killed him.

Dangerous car on track days.....glad you made the right choice man.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
How's that song go???? "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Congradulations, on bringing the Blue back into the fold....

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats, she is beautiful!

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Congrats on the new acquisition :thumbsup I'm looking forward to seeing the no striper next week.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Congrats on restoring your stable. :thumbsup Just how big is your garage?? :willy

Well, you have to understand that there are multiple garages. My home in Arizona will comfortably fit six, two GT's will reside there. My home in Ohio has a much smaller garage, but I own a 5,500 sq. ft. warehouse for the car collection less than a mile from home. (It's currently filled, so no more cars until I sell some!)

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Congratulations, Tim!

Jeff

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Enjoy the ride ....gtjoey 1314:thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You'll have to post some photos of the goodies in your warehouse some time.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Blu

Yes Tim, GO BLU.............

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Welcome back to the Quad GT Club Tim! :cheers

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
God i love midnight blue no stripers! Congrats.

Sanjay

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Hey Daddio - glad your rejoined the Wise Man Club.

Your wife, and family, were right. You need a Blu GT!

See ya in October.
Jeff