ISO Left front lower billet a-arm

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I need a new left front billet lower a-arm. If anyone has one please let me know and just send me a pm if you will. I know a lot of members have bought a lot of spare parts over the years and hopefully will have something laying around. I'm trying to finish a car for a member here and we would really like to put a billet piece back on the car as its an early 05 car.

Thank you

Dan

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since the billet parts were only installed by Ford on a few cars until replacements could be manufactured I doubt you'll find a "new" one. You might find one from a salvage car.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Since the billet parts were only installed by Ford on a few cars until replacements could be manufactured I doubt you'll find a "new" one. You might find one from a salvage car.

There were a considerable amount of them made and cars that had them in 05 and also ford had a stock of them too that were sold and when they ran out then the cast ones were sold.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Correct. MOST of the 2005 cars have the billet a-arms.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Correct. MOST of the 2005 cars have the billet a-arms.

over 1500 cars had billet a-arms.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
over 1500 cars had billet a-arms.
Wow. That's not the folklore. Just the early handful of cars with orders to return to dealer and Ford doing housecalls. Also reference to CNC parts? Is this in Joey's book?

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Tony, I think the handful of early cars that you are thinking of are the ones that actually got into the hands of customers before the manufacturing problem was discovered. Ford sent engineers out into the field to replace these arm at the customer's location. Meanwhile, Ford had spooled up virtually every Detroit area machine shop available to start manufacturing (CNC'g from solid billet cores) the requisite 8-arms per car so as to mitigate any impacts on production. Almost simultaneously, the MSRP of the GT was increased by $10,000. Hmmm.

Ford continued producing 2005 GT's with the billet a-arms until they resolved the manufacturing process of producing the arms as intended. This occurred about 3/4 of the way through the 2005 GT production run.

Reactions: Apollo

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony, I think the handful of early cars that you are thinking of are the ones that actually got into the hands of customers before the manufacturing problem was discovered. Ford sent engineers out into the field to replace these arm at the customer's location. Meanwhile, Ford had spooled up virtually every Detroit area machine shop available to start manufacturing (CNC'g from solid billet cores) the requisite 8-arms per car so as to mitigate any impacts on production. Almost simultaneously, the MSRP of the GT was increased by $10,000. Hmmm.

Ford continued producing 2005 GT's with the billet a-arms until they resolved the manufacturing process of producing the arms as intended. This occurred about 3/4 of the way through the 2005 GT production run.

Yes, that is what I was referring to - the on-site recall. From what I remember owners were told to park the car until they could be repaired, and that the old cast parts were destroyed so they could never be used. Dealers couldn't do the swap, only the tiger team which am inferring was part of the control of the old parts. From the info I'd seen the parts used past those few were second gen cast, but it sounds like the CNC parts were used well into production. That part wasn't clear.

So for those that got the billet parts the question that starts from the original is "are billet parts available from Ford"? If you have a billet part are you owed a pair of cast parts? Is a mismatch really an issue since it is possible that something happened to one and it needed replacement. Aren't these the ones that bushings can't be replaced?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I have an 05 with SN in the 1500's with billet. They sure look nice when cleaned up. Mine must be about the tail end of production GT's with billet, per "nota4re" comment. Out of 1500 cars, there must be a parts car someplace.......but where?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The initial control arms were press cast. The cast had a SLIGHT imperfection in the pressing which in ONE extreme case lead to a hair fracture in a lower front control arm on a very early car .
To recast a modified or correct mold took to long as production was underway.
An outside contractor created BILLET ARMS front and rear with a COST to Ford of aprox $6,000 per set of 8 !
By the time to new cast was created and proven to be road worthy it wasn't till late 2005.
Aprox. to vin 1650 or so.....We took notes back in the day , I think one member had a vin 1675 or so still with the billet arms.
Its all in the original book …….which I don't have in front of me.
Remember if you see a 2005 vin 1600 or so and below with cast arms....either damage or ball joint issues .
Usually damage.
NO BILLET WERE REPRODUCED, Any factory warranty or accident work received the new pressed arms.....
In closing
SCOTT MINCH HAS A COUPLE FULL SETS LEFT.
Take out a mortgage but they are pure jewelry if you want it correct!
God luck!
GTJOEY1314
Front grilles will be a topic for another day :)
THAT BOOK IS FORD GT THE COMPLETE OWNERS EXPERIENCE...You will see men with black hair, don't know them any longer.
Enjoy

Reactions: extrap

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Joey! My book wasn't handy either.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
My 2005 #1725 has billet arms 8/11/05 build date.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
My 2005 #1725 has billet arms 8/11/05 build date.
My ‘05 #1842 has billet arms as well!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
There you go.…….As of now 1842 /2005 is the cutoff...…:)
I forgot and haven't had time to look in the book but that's about right about 200 or so left in the model year.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It is amazing how much time and the game of telephone changes reality.

Reactions: Ed Sims

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
‘05 #1967 has the cast arms.

Joey,
I have time for the “front grille” story😜
‘05 #1967 does not have one.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
SCOTT MINCH HAS A COUPLE FULL SETS LEFT.

He did have at least one brand new set. I bought the lower rear arms so the fronts may still be available.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Why I bought 1316, or a 2006 for driving was, if anything did happen it was ALOT cheaper to fix, no front grill, no billet arms.
In the event something happened