Is two layers Expel overkill?

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Stef,

Every surface of my GT has at least 1 layer of Suntek self healing film. The front section has two. The underside of both doors have 4 layers as do the rear edges of all 4 wheel openings (which get creamed). The low sharp edges in front that can take a 90 degree hit have 3. The aero tunnel behind the front tires goes from 4 to 3 to 2 and a ton of small stones fly through that opening. Arizona is rock city, just awful. My GT has 3000 miles and has been above 160 MPH with zero damage so far. A lot of members have seen my GT at events and you can't tell it's got that much film on it. It looks great.

Trying to fix paint damage on a new GT would be a lot more expensive that some precaution now. At least that's my take on it.

Chip

Thanks for the advice. Better safe then sorry latter trying to deal rock damage.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Stef,

Every surface of my GT has at least 1 layer of Suntek self healing film. The front section has two. The underside of both doors have 4 layers as do the rear edges of all 4 wheel openings (which get creamed). The low sharp edges in front that can take a 90 degree hit have 3. The aero tunnel behind the front tires goes from 4 to 3 to 2 and a ton of small stones fly through that opening. Arizona is rock city, just awful. My GT has 3000 miles and has been above 160 MPH with zero damage so far. A lot of members have seen my GT at events and you can't tell it's got that much film on it. It looks great.

Trying to fix paint damage on a new GT would be a lot more expensive that some precaution now. At least that's my take on it.

Chip
This is a very good point as I recently heard of somone having to ship his car back to have it properly pained for few minor chips he got on his NGT. So I think its worth the extra money to double and triple in some areas...

Reactions: THamonGT

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Has anyone (that drives their GT) gone commando on the ppf? Just curious if anyone is going for the purposely distressed look... If so, I’d like to see some wear pics! 😊

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Yikes! Sooooo, about that ppf... 😂

Reactions: GEE-TEE

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Ok I'm sold.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
OMG. I take back my arrogant comment earlier to Stef. By all means at least double up in these areas I would say. This is horrifying. 😬🤯🥵

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I've only got double on lower door sides and underside.

Maybe I'll add a couple more layers... :eek:

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
OMG. I take back my arrogant comment earlier to Stef. By all means at least double up in these areas I would say. This is horrifying. 😬🤯🥵

No worries GEE-TEE, nothing seemed arrogant about your comment at all.
We should all be questioning the process and how many layers best to use to avoid a mess like that pic!

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
No worries GEE-TEE, nothing seemed arrogant about your comment at all.
We should all be questioning the process and how many layers best to use to avoid a mess like that pic!
For years I have been so critical of cars that had a clear bra in the front where you see the line cutoff. I always told friends with Ferraris and other exotics, why make your beautiful car ugly to protect it? I also had seen how the paint faded on the areas without the clear bra differently than with CB. But now that we are doing full car wraps at least there are no cutoff lines and all even. These cars are truly a work of art and deserve every bit of pampering. I hope someone here with NGT has provided some guidance as to specific areas which should have at least double protection if not more. I would also question if windshield should get one layer or more...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Do not put PPF on the windshield. There are products like Clearplex for that. Xpel is NOT optically clear enough for a windshield.

I would also question if windshield should get one layer or more...

Chuck B

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2019
I’ve got two layers on all the lower sides, plus a triple layer on the bottom of the door sills
Did you wrap the headlamps? I am trying to figure out if it is ok to wrap them.
ChuckB

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, most do the headlamps. If you don't, they'll get damaged anyways.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Sliplo is on sale 50% off. No affiliation (I did order it).

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I doubled the front nose I doubled along the sides under the belt line and then I doubled halfway up the front of the rear fender and I doubled the lower section behind the rear wheels. I also did under the door with the windscreen film and then the Xpel on top of it
I can say with over 11,000 miles on my car I’m really glad I did
Although I will say I’m a strong advocate of keeping a safe distance behind the car in front of me and I’m always on the lookout for construction vehicles and try to get by them as quickly as possible and as far away as possible

Reactions: JWZ