Is this really the 12th car built?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was at the Leake auction in Dallas this weekend and there was one GT there for sale. It was a white with blue stripes, all option 2005 with about 6000 miles if I remember right. It was being billed as the 12th car built.

I found this strange since the vin was 1FAFP90S75Y401572 which would place it almost half way through the production year. I questioned the gent selling it and he was selling it for an Oklahoma doctor he said had paid dearly to get the car just after Leno got his (which was car number 10 wasn't it?).

I know the vin numbers don't reflect the exact production order but aren't they usually closer than this?

The car sold for about $135000. After the 8% commission it was far too cheap.

If the owner is a member maybe he could verify.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Keith /....What did the Bentley GT bring w/o buyer prem? Do you know the color, miles, yr and if it was a GTC? Thanks!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Not even close.

That car was produced late in the 2005 model year. Over 1500 Ford GT's were built before that one. The seller's story is pure BS.

Chip

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
maybe it was 1512??? :rofl

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If the last four of the vin was 1572, no way it's the 12th one off the line. May have been the 12th one that his dealer got in..... :)

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT the 12th car built!!!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Keith /....What did the Bentley GT bring w/o buyer prem? Do you know the color, miles, yr and if it was a GTC? Thanks!

I watched that one go across the block. It was a silver 2004 hardtop. It was a no sale at a top bid of $61000.00.

It was the wrong kind of car for that auction, like the Ford GT. The buyers were there for the collector and custom cars.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
That car was produced late in the 2005 model year. Over 1500 Ford GT's were built before that one. The seller's story is pure BS.

Chip

:rofl:rofl Well, I was trying to be a little more delicate about it than that, but I guess that about sums it up.:rofl:rofl

There was one unusual thing about the car though. It had billet a-arms. A car that late in production should have forged arms shouldn't it?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
World Registry

:rofl:rofl Well, I was trying to be a little more delicate about it than that, but I guess that about sums it up.:rofl:rofl

There was one unusual thing about the car though. It had billet a-arms. A car that late in production should have forged arms shouldn't it?

Texas,

Several late model year 2005s have billet a-arms and there is no exact production cutoff that shows when the last cast arms were installed. A great source of info on our cars is the current World Registry of Cobras and GT40s. It lists notes detailing the history of many of the very early production Ford GTs. The car in question is listed in it's normal serial # sequence.

Chip

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
the gent selling it and he was selling it for an Oklahoma doctor he said had paid dearly to get the car just after Leno got his

While it may be easy for the uniformed to be confused about actual production sequence/timing, there's really no excuse for quoting the proximity to leno's deliver date. This car was produced several MONTHS later. It pays to be informed before listening to the sometimes tall tales of sellers.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My car is '05 #1297, built May '05 with billet arms. No way is this car #12. Billet arms go to at least '06 #13.

DWP

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Southern CA and Utah
I have the 06 car number 400017 and it has the forged arms, not billet.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The billet A-arms were not only used to retrofit the recalled cars, but also were installed during production of all GT's until the production of the replacement forged arms could be implemented into the assembly line. I believe this happened sometime in late August, '05 to middle September, '05 - and between '05 S/N's 1550 and 1850.

Last edited: