Is This A Short Throw Shifter?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I am going thru everything on my 2005 GT with 20,000 miles. Bought it six months ago, put 1500 extremely enjoyable miles on it, now down for winter and maintenance. Fluids, belts, windshield, etc. The oil pump belt cover is sure a bear to remove. I was checking the shift cable adjustment and saw this nice blue anodized aluminum shifter body and nice tig welded linkage. I assume this is a short throw shifter. With the use of a mirror, I looked at all surfaces, but found no part number.
Can anybody tell if this is a short throw and who made it? Or is it just stock? It really shifts easy and smooth. However, the shift throw seems rather long compared to say a Mustang short throw.

Attachments

• 20191108_121011.jpg
    20191108_121011.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 21

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How long is the shaft? Is the mounting plate on rubber grommets or metal standoffs

Here is pic.

20191011_064325.jpg

Last edited:

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Toni - Perfect, thanks
Any chance you could include a top view picture and one of the other side?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm pretty sure based on color that you have the short throw. Like I said in the first post it is most likely confirmed by the mounting of the plate to the tunnel. Factory used rubber grommets to isolate the shifter base from the tunnel. The short throw had the option to use a metal spacer (you can see them in my pic). Most were rigid mounted for the extra feedback. The shaft length is a sure tell but I don't have pics of the factory unit out of the car. I don't have any more pictures.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Its stock.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Its stock.

B.M.F. - What are the identifying features?

I will be checking mine later today.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In the photo I attached on my screen the paper on the bottom of the box is 11". The screen measure is 4.5. The proportial size of the shaft from the base to the top is about 4.25". Measure the shaft. If yours is longer its the factory shifter.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Thanks, I will check that.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I measured everything. My shaft length from the top of the ball pivot is 4.25", same as the short throw shifter. However, the shifter body stanchions where the mounting bolts fit are 3/4" taller in the STS. The linkage arm length from the center of the pivot ball to the center of the cable ball is 2.7" on the STS and 2.0 on the stock shifter. This results in a decrease of 25% in throw. 2.0/2.7=0.74 or a 25% decrease. So mine is the stock shifter. These measurements are based on ratio-ing the dimensions in the picture, which seemed to be close. Advertised reduction is 25%.
Thanks for your helpful picture.

Last edited:

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I have short throw shifter still in packaging. Just saying. Actually might have a couple...

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I have the "Short Throw" installed - Fantastic !

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I have short throw shifter still in packaging. Just saying. Actually might have a couple...
I might be interested in one...

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I might be interested in one...
PM me I have lots of parts, as I am not buying anymore Ford products as per the BS over my 2019 Ford GT Heritage Edition.