Is the Viper run ending?

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
With all the rumors of the Conner Avenue plant, it’s starting to look as if the Viper is at the very least up for discussion.

Does Chrysler think the Challenger has enough to become the company's flagship?

Does the new ZR1 cause Chrysler to say 'enough', and throw in the towel?

It would be disappointing to see this vehicle come to an end but it seems highly probable.

Any thoughts?

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Viper Ending?

Hmm, It bothers me. I do not have a Viper but have been waiting for the new 600 hp to be available. I just drove a new unsold 2006 and was impressed with the handling. The power was good but I really want the 600 hp.

I was considering a Lambo Murc to add to my stable. In fact i made bid on one and at least so far did not get it. What is changing my mind on American cars is the Ford GT that I own plus a drive in my freinds Z06. Finally American car companies seem to be on the hunt. They both are very good cars! As a second point, the dollar being so weak has me worried about the cost to maintain European cars which I have a few.

So I thought i would at least look at the American offerings. i drove the Shelby Mustang 500. Nice car, not great but not bad. i just could not get by the solid rear axle. They did a nice job of tuning the chasis so it is bearly noticeable. The Z06 impressed me but it looks like a million of them. I was hoping the ZR1 would have stronger design cues. It has styling frills but no enough for me.

SO I drove the 2006 Viper and it handled alot better than the Gallardo or Murc Lambos I drove. i was impressed. The car also look agressive. I did not expect to like it. I do!

I understand they are owned by an investment company and they must do what they think they must do to package the company up for resale later. personally I hope they do not sink the Viper. Ford called the GT as a "Pace car for a company". I thought it was only marketing but I must admit it has changed my view of Ford. I have noticed the new cars from Ford look and proably drive better. When my Toyota Highlander need replacement i will give Ford a drive. That I imagine is what they were hoping for. I think the Ford GT is better than my F430 F1 tho not quite in exhausr note.

Lee

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
When I drove the 08 Viper by chance a few months ago, the nutso Dodge engineer who had the car told me that the car was a lame duck. He said there was a chance it could be continued but that it was not looking good past 2010.

I think part of the problem was how weak the sales were of the 03-06 models because of the change in body style. He made mention that in calendar year 07 they still had MY05 cars sitting on lots 15k under sticker.

That said, I believe some of the luster on the Viper nameplate has been restored by the 08 model car. Despite what the magazines have done, the car is a monster. Hennessey (and others) have shown numbers as high as 545rwhp stock. Simple exhaust and intake mods have yielded mid 130 mph trap speeds. Perhaps this new wave of attention for the car will generate enough attention to save it.

Chrysler is in very poor condition. They've b-word has been thrown around recently. We'll see.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I don't think its looking good past 2010. I Don't see a big future with low production low profit cars especially with Chryslers current financial issues. I'm waiting on my Snakeskin Green 08 Coupe.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
I love my 06 SRT/10 convertible. Side pipes, big motor, big wheels, fits like a glove, no frills, basically the modern definition of raw. It has a stigma as being unforgiving and thus I drive it with a sense of angst. It is no accident that it bears resemblance to the CSX car design of yester year. It is still American muscle, hand built, maintains exclusivity, has at least 500hp, and a nice garage mate to my FGT. I hope we do not lose the run, but like the FGT, all good things seem to come to an end.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i have the one and only viper i have ever wanted and will ever have. with that said i hope the viper never dies but things are not looking good for this car. i bet within 5 years or less the car is dead. the reason that the viper will die though has nothing to do with a corvette, ford GT, challenger or any other car for that matter. the viper imo has no competition and stands on its own in a class by itself. its a one-of-a-kind car with a truly unique character that legends are made of.

30 years from now at the barett-jackson the viper will be looked upon in the same way 60's cobras are today.

if you have ever had a desire to own a viper now is the time to strike. because when they quit making these cars the prices are gonna start goin up. its simple supply and demand issues. the biggest factor that determins how collectable a car is > is its rarity.

since 1953 1.5 million corvettes have been made
since 1992 30,000 vipers have been made
in 2005 and 2006 4,038 ford GT's were made

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
30 years from now at the barett-jackson the viper will be looked upon in the same way 60's cobras are today.

if you have ever had a desire to own a viper now is the time to strike. because when they quit making these cars the prices are gonna start goin up. its simple supply and demand issues. the biggest factor that determins how collectable a car is its rarity.

What are the historical production number for the Vipers?

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
According to the intellegence on the the Viper forum, 2009 will most probably end the run. If it is the end, i hope they build a something with 620+ hp.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
What are the historical production number for the Vipers?

Back in the 60's and 70's most folks drove the wheels of their cars, they modded them. Nobody planned that they would appreciate. Cars where sent to the bone yards. Today folks are buying cars with the expectations that they will become great investments.

Clinton, you asked the hard question, how many where built? Take a look at the cars that are bringing real money and they are all limited production or only a few survivors remain.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
According to the intellegence on the the Viper forum, 2009 will most probably end the run. If it is the end, i hope they build a something with 620+ hp.

If that is the case, I will most likely look hard at acquiring one. I can honestly say I was never that huge into the Vipers I've driven, but it's a definite American icon and it would be sad to see it go. Without the GT or Viper, there is no spiritual successor to the raw/no frills cars of yesteryear.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
viper production numbers here:

http://ivr.viperclub.org/build.php

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

thanx 4 the link :thumbsup

since 1992 26,135 viper have been made not including the 2008's

of those 26,135 > 8,186 are the gen 3's.

while this is not as low volume of a car a compared to the 4,038 ford GT's made. its still alot less than the 1.4 million vettes that have been made since 1953. the viper is a collector car imo.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm with Bony on this. Back in the day most owners of the now-revered muscle cars didn't treat them as collectibles and drove them into the ground. With few exceptions, the cars were not being preserved for future value or posterity like they are today. Therefore relatively few of the sought after cars survived, thus ensuring their desirablity as collectible cars. Is this the same scenario we are likely to see in the future with the Viper or GT? I doubt it. The GT will certainly increase in value (particularly the low mileage cars), but by no means is it a sound investment for anyone with limited funds to invest.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I'm with Bony on this. Back in the day most owners of the now-revered muscle cars didn't treat them as collectibles and drove them into the ground. With few exceptions, the cars were not being preserved for future value or posterity like they are today. Therefore relatively few of the sought after cars survived, thus ensuring their desirablity as collectible cars. Is this the same scenario we are likely to see in the future with the Viper or GT? I doubt it. The GT will certainly increase in value (particularly the low mileage cars), but by no means is it a sound investment for anyone with limited funds to invest.

i am an investor by trade and i invest in stocks, bonds, commodities and real estate. collecting cars is just a hobby for me. the circumstances that will shape and mold the collector car market 30 years from now will be vastly different than they are now. whats hot now won't be hot then. if you look at all the sports and muscle cars made in america since 1980 the ford GT and the viper are at the top of the list with very little competition. the market and playing field for cars built after 1980 is very different than it was in the 60's and 70's. that bein the case if you have to hang your hat on any cars made in the USA since 1980, my #1 choice would be the ford GT followed by the viper. name some cars built in the USA after 1980 that you will think will be more collectible than the viper 30 years from now? i can't think of any? if you are tempted to say a grand national GNX or a corvette ZR1 (both C4 and C6) or a limited edition camaro SS, or the new shelby gt-500's, KR's, super snakes or cobra R, etc. think again? the viper has nitch models too; like the GT2, the ACR's and the FE's. the only car that i can think of that should do better than a viper or maybe even a ford GT would be a saleen S7. i hear that the S7 is no longer bein made and that they only made like 300 of them? the price of admission to buy one of these cars is steep and since it is more tuner car than factory car, imo its a wild card that i wouldn't want to take my chances on. but for the BIG time gamblers and ballers out there the saleen might just blow us all away in the end. btw, i drive and race all my cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats.

Last edited:

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
There are alot of things going against the survival of the viper right now. I think the biggest is that it is due for a redesign to keep up with the competition and with the fuel economy wars going on I just dont think they will invest in a new program. I would venture to say that they will go out with a boom in 2010.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
UPDATE - GM is only going to make 2000 C6 ZR1's so the value of this car has just gone up. 30 years from now at the B-J the C6 ZR1 might do just as well as a limited edition viper depending on what the C7 turns out to be. we won't know what the C7 is gonna be like for a few more years still. while a ZR1 is faster than a stock GT; once you mod both cars the GT will be faster. 30 years from now at B-J the GT will still be worth way more $$$$$$$ than the ZR1 imo.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Saw that sexy green '08 machine at Russo,.... very nice!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Starting to sound like Mark Twain's death. For the most part the rumors may be highly exaggerated. I am an optimist on this issue, they have dumped many $$$ into redesign of engine, drive train, suspension ect. into the 08 vipers. I believe all 08 vipers will sell, two have sold at my dealership on paper alone before they hit the showroom floor. Not even brought up for bidding. I am in line for the 3rd viper, snakeskin green. Chrysler will have not icon if the viper dies, and no presence to improve autos with acquired racing technology. VCA presidents met with Chrysler officials in Phoenix last month with a positive outcome of the meetings and a pledge to continue the viper. We all know what reliability can be placed on those comments, but viper sales will be strong this year, even with low production numbers. I am looking forward to the new viper.

Best we take with a grain of salt predictions of the demise of the Viper.

:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

What the heck happened to production in '05 (total units = 6)!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah, right. The FGT! :lol