Is the McLaren 675LT an accurate "preview" of the new FGT?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I was fortunate enough to drive the 2016 McLaren 675LT a couple weeks ago, and my story went live Monday on Forbes. Here's the link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer...00-pounds-660-horsepower-0-60-in-2-9-seconds/
2016-McLaren-675LT-Profile-Driving1.jpg

While driving the 675LT it occurred to me that the car had some interesting traits:
666 horsepower
Twin-turbocharged engine
2,900 pounds
Full carbon fiber construction
Zero-to-60 in 2.9 seconds
7-speed dual-clutch transmission and paddle shifters

When I thought about the car's characteristics I realized that, based on what I know at this point, the 675LT shares A LOT with the new GT. It also starts at $350,000 and tops out around $400,000 or more when optioned up.

I'm just spit-balling here, but thought it was an interesting observation. Oh, and if the 675LT is a preview of the 2017 Ford GT, then I REALLY want a 2017 Ford GT. :biggrin

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice article Karl. That's a really nice color on that car.

It's definitely the closest thing to GT intent-wise on the market. A stripped out 675LT with no AC or lift is about 2,930; the ones I've seen weighed so far were 3,065, 3,095 and 3,103. The insinuations on the Mc forum have been that the 675LT is only fractionally slower around a circuit than the P1. If that's true...

Watched a video of a 12C running dead even and then slightly inching away from a 488 over a couple really long rolls. Not a surprise, but proves the 488 has to be lugging around what is likely 3400+ lbs. Even when they "Speciale-ize" the 488, I don't really see it being able to compete with these cars.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Is the metal construction of the 488 to blame for its portly mass compared to CF cars?
I ask because Ferrari is always droning on about how the competition's volume carbon fiber cars aren't that much lighter than Ferrari's super duper excellente aluminum process.

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Nice article Karl. That's a really nice color on that car.

It's definitely the closest thing to GT intent-wise on the market. A stripped out 675LT with no AC or lift is about 2,930; the ones I've seen weighed so far were 3,065, 3,095 and 3,103. The insinuations on the Mc forum have been that the 675LT is only fractionally slower around a circuit than the P1. If that's true...

Watched a video of a 12C running dead even and then slightly inching away from a 488 over a couple really long rolls. Not a surprise, but proves the 488 has to be lugging around what is likely 3400+ lbs. Even when they "Speciale-ize" the 488, I don't really see it being able to compete with these cars.
So, with AC and other creature comforts, the GT will be close to 3000? Hah!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I never said what it will weigh. :biggrin

A non-stripper GT is light. Deliciously light. :lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I was fortunate enough to drive the 2016 McLaren 675LT a couple weeks ago, and my story went live Monday on Forbes. Here's the link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer...00-pounds-660-horsepower-0-60-in-2-9-seconds/
View attachment 40415

While driving the 675LT it occurred to me that the car had some interesting traits:
666 horsepower
Twin-turbocharged engine
2,900 pounds
Full carbon fiber construction
Zero-to-60 in 2.9 seconds
7-speed dual-clutch transmission and paddle shifters

When I thought about the car's characteristics I realized that, based on what I know at this point, the 675LT shares A LOT with the new GT. It also starts at $350,000 and tops out around $400,000 or more when optioned up.

I'm just spit-balling here, but thought it was an interesting observation. Oh, and if the 675LT is a preview of the 2017 Ford GT, then I REALLY want a 2017 Ford GT. :biggrin

I agree with your thoughts . If the New GT is not to be had this would be the second choice. I'm sure the new Gorilla Glass will find it's way into other cars which will help close the weight gap .. I hope the new GT will make 675 HP and 600 Ft Lbs of tourque

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
I often wonder if the horsepower war will be coming to a gradual conclusion. At some point we must be reaching the limits of tire grip, at least for the next several years. It would also stand to reason that tire manufacturers will devote an ever increasing amount of effort to develop and produce low rolling resistance rubber versus high performance offerings. If we look at the performance tests of the trinity hybrids, we see that despite considerable gaps in weight (not mass) and not insignificant differences of power, they all perform just about the same. What's more, the 675LT is nipping at all of their heels...with ~235 HP less. And the GT3RS with ~166 HP less is not that far off of the 675, Z06, 488, etc.

Seems to me that at some point HP becomes a bullet point of one-upmanship in a sales brochure.

Track times are track times, and I love to see the competition between brands, but for me, I'm looking for more than just power. I champion what Ford is doing with the PHX program. Their obsession with weight loss, and dedication to driving dynamics (not to mention otherworldly badass styling) are what I'm looking for in the next generation of supercars. I believe the New GT will reset the expectations of sports car buyers, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Porsche and McLaren follow suit with similar offerings.

Perhaps 630 HP is all it needs?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Agree completely Matt, but I still would like 700 hp!

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I often wonder if the horsepower war will be coming to a gradual conclusion. At some point we must be reaching the limits of tire grip, at least for the next several years. It would also stand to reason that tire manufacturers will devote an ever increasing amount of effort to develop and produce low rolling resistance rubber versus high performance offerings. If we look at the performance tests of the trinity hybrids, we see that despite considerable gaps in weight (not mass) and not insignificant differences of power, they all perform just about the same. What's more, the 675LT is nipping at all of their heels...with ~235 HP less. And the GT3RS with ~166 HP less is not that far off of the 675, Z06, 488, etc.

Seems to me that at some point HP becomes a bullet point of one-upmanship in a sales brochure.

Track times are track times, and I love to see the competition between brands, but for me, I'm looking for more than just power. I champion what Ford is doing with the PHX program. Their obsession with weight loss, and dedication to driving dynamics (not to mention otherworldly badass styling) are what I'm looking for in the next generation of supercars. I believe the New GT will reset the expectations of sports car buyers, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Porsche and McLaren follow suit with similar offerings.

Perhaps 630 HP is all it needs?

The GT is coming with Pilot Sport Cup tires they are Super Sticky.. Close to Hoosier grip. If a Hoosier is a 10 on the grip scale PSC are 9.5 . Grip will not be a problem.. There are always going to be horse power comparison and there is always going to be new tire technology. Yes, I agree all cars will get lighter and require less Horse power to be fun and fast.. I want the new GT not to be close or Slightly out perform the current competition I want it to annihilate it !!.. :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Calm down little kitty.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
:lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
All good points Matt. Horsepower is less impressive to me nowadays since high horsepower cars are ubiquitous. Make cars lighter and fun to drive.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would also say remember that you could knock 100 hp out of the GT and it would still seriously run away from an 06. It's going to be blindingly fast in a straight line.

As an absolutely worst case scenario which is not real, take "under 3000" and "over 600." At those values, you're lugging around 5 lbs per hp. An 06 GT was good for about 125-127 mph in the 1/4 at about 6 lbs per hp (3470/580). I suspect the new GT will crack 140. That's plenty enough power to kill you, and more than enough to require a total recalibration of road course performance, not even accounting for the lightning DCT, tires or very significant aerodynamic advantages.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
1. Nice post Matt, completely agree.

2. Also Agree Brian, here's to spankings for all the other manufactures :cheers

3. Quit screwing around with us DBK

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Once again, DBK nails it.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I'd guess they set their sights on a particular number, say 4lb/hp. Which imo puts it at 725hp and 2900 lbs. Any comment? :D

I would also say remember that you could knock 100 hp out of the GT and it would still seriously run away from an 06. It's going to be blindingly fast in a straight line.

As an absolutely worst case scenario which is not real, take "under 3000" and "over 600." At those values, you're lugging around 5 lbs per hp. An 06 GT was good for about 125-127 mph in the 1/4 at about 6 lbs per hp (3470/580). I suspect the new GT will crack 140. That's plenty enough power to kill you, and more than enough to require a total recalibration of road course performance, not even accounting for the lightning DCT, tires or very significant aerodynamic advantages.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
66*HP...( I won't even type that number). Should make it only in Devil Red. No way I make it that number. Gimme 665 or 667 HP. UHHHHHHHHGGGG!!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Light is right!

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Light is right!

Ed

Oh Boy... I see another Sticker in the works ......:biggrin

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm planning on some cool stickers & one for LeMans of course!

Ed