Is Motorcraft still the choice for oil change?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Oil doesn’t go bad in the containers so why should it go bad in your car if little use.
According to Blackstone, there is no reason to change oil on just a time interval.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I am not sure there is any compelling reason to not use Motorcraft. I have used it exclusively since '06, and will continue to do so.

No one has commented on your new ride and membership.

Welcome, and good luck with your sweet ride. Looks like a real beauty.

No stripes means more red for Dr. Frank.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i use the ford stuff too.

btw nice pictures especially of the interior who took the pics?

Tomcat

GT Owner
May 23, 2013
North Carolina & Perdido Key
I think the red no stripes looks GREAT!
I have a red Pantera with "no stripes".

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
Twin Cities
Nice looking car!

T6 user here.

alpha6164

GT Owner
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks guys. I specifically was looking for a red with all options minus the stripe and found it and it only has 4800 miles. She looks just like off the showroom floor. I am super excited. My first american super car. I currently have a Bentley CGT, Diablo 6.0 and Murci LP640 so it is a great addition. I am stoked.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Hello MTV8, I've had my GT tested ever since I bought mine in 2005, & have had several Blackstone oil tests, done for my car. Don't now what the issue is with the comparison test. I know that is a comment that is old.

Mark
The comparison figures provided by Blackstone are not specifically Ford GT results. They have combined results for all Ford 5.4L SC engines regardless of composition or internal components.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
quahog

Seeking the correct oil and possible options I asked Mobil if their Mobil 1 full synthetic 5 - 50 met fords wss-m97b51-a1 spec / per owners guide . The reply was NO... it does not .

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I think oil gets contaminated with corrosives once it is in an engine and it is wise to change it yearly. It is not like storing it in a clean container.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Switched to T6 for the GT.
Mobil 1 5-50 for the Boss LS because I change it a lot and Napa has it for sale in the summer at under 6 a quart.
The Motorcraft with zinc additive would be appealing.

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
Redline awesome stay away from ams

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I use the Motorcraft in the GT and the race car. Just wish they would put it in a 5q bottle..

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
BTW FANTASTIC LOOKING CAR!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I think oil gets contaminated with corrosives once it is in an engine and it is wise to change it yearly. It is not like storing it in a clean container.
But if you send a sample out of of the reservoir and they say it's still good so why change it based on time alone? That's science not "just because".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Periodic use, with temps above 220 will boil off condensation and burn off any fuel

Lack of use has it's issues too

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Periodic use, with temps above 220 will boil off condensation and burn off any fuel

Lack of use has it's issues too
:agree:

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, WA
The Total Base Number (TBN) tells you if the oil is becoming acidic. Motor oils have base chemical buffers (as in basic pH) in them to neutralize acids that result from combustion and oxidation of the oil. If the TBN gets too low, that's a reason to change the oil. Blackstone monitors this for extended oil changes (it costs $10 more than the $25 basic analysis, but you definitely want that test if you are extending oil changes like I am).

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I sent a sample of Motorcraft to Blackstone for analysis, but they do not keep a GT specific comparison set which makes it difficult to determine whether a different oil would be better.

alpha6164

GT Owner
Dec 29, 2016
Just picked up my stripe delete red 05 FGT and super excited. It is getting a pulley and tune by Torri along with catless exhaust. Will be doing a complete fluid change and i have read so much about the Motorcraft 5w-50 and all the changes and that it breaks down after a 1000 miles that i am more confused than when i started lol.

I am in Florida and so definitely want protection for the hotter climates. I see several have posted about the Rotella T6 but concerns me that it is a 5w-40. Otherwise I love Rotella as a general rule. Does anyone use the Mobile 1 5w-50, Amsoil 5w-50 or Redline 5w-50? Am i missing any other good options?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV