Is it possible to import a euro spec 2nd gen Ford GT into the US?

F150

Feb 8, 2023
Wondering if it is possible to import a 2nd gen Ford GT euro spec to the US?
Dose anyone know what the differences are in the US version vs: euro version?
Or.. What would need to be changed in order to bring it to US specifications and be street legal?
Or.. Who I would need to contact to find out.. Customs were no help..

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Or.. What would need to be changed in order to bring it to US specifications and be street legal?
Hello F150, what year Ford GT are we talking about ?

F150

Feb 8, 2023
Hello F150, what year Ford GT are we talking about ?
Hello italianjoe..
The newer generation looking at a 2020 that a family member has overseas at a better price then seen with dealers/flippers here in the US..

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Hello italianjoe..
The newer generation looking at a 2020 that a family member has overseas at a better price then seen with dealers/flippers here in the US..
Is this a car in the UK? Because if it is then it maybe a problem. For instance, headlights are aiming in the wrong direction and would need to be replaced and I would have to look into what year they started putting In the restrictive exhaust in the UK cars so that cars has a different calibration ect ect....if it's a German or any where elese then it maybe ok but I would need a vin number to see what the car has....if you would like you PM me the vin and I could check for you....

Joe

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Customs "no help". Imagine that!

I'm sure you'll be able to get it done, but also sure that many obstacles will be put in your way.

Good luck.

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
From a general regulatory standpoint, the car was developed with both in mind (mirrors for example meet the ECE and C/FMVSS requirements). The main differences are around lighting. Headlamps, even for continental Europe have a different beam pattern than US. Tail lamps have a split amber turn function which the US doesn’t have. This also means controllers may be different, the extent of the software changes to support lighting, I don’t know.
Emissions and noise regs are also different, so Like Joe mentioned, calibration, exhaust and maybe some other related things.

Reactions: italianjoe

Hootie Kovach

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2023
Eastern Pa.
I’ve had a bit of experience here. Would not be easy, and may be very costly. I’ve was told that the non USA bound cars had differences. These would all need to be defined…and corrected to meet USA standards. They would then needed to be documented, certified and then would need DOT AND EPA paperwork to certify that the work was done and done correctly. The FED is very stricked here…and not an easy task. One item incorrect or not done…it’s back to square one again. A lot of paperwork and documentation.
I was involved with Ferrari cars like this back in the 80’s…was very time consuming and expensive.
good luck. Your new car could be setting in impound for a very long time If you fail.

Reactions: Ed Sims and dshears

F150

Feb 8, 2023
Thanks for all the replies!!
I have come to the conclusion that I should probably start looking in the US..
Too much money at risk and variables involved to take that kind of gamble!!!

Reactions: italianjoe

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

Actually it's truly '3rd Generation' Ford GT.
🙂