Is it just me?

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I've owned many cars that have held my money. The Ford GT is is however the newiest. Most were collectable when I bought them already, the risk really wasn't that big other than the economy. The GT for being such a newer car, not only seems to be holding its own but increasing rapidly even in a sluggish economy. Is it just me or am I right. I'd like to hear from the guys dealing in these cars to see if they see the samething I think I'm seeing. I enjoy my car for what it is, so it doesn't make much difference to me. It always seemed the Ferrari market was very stable as well as the Pantera market, Mustangs etc. The Gt seems to be the same. Is the over seas market holding these cars up in value or are they just that rare? In short, what gives?

Mike

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I've owned many cars that have held my money. The Ford GT is is however the newiest. Most were collectable when I bought them already, the risk really wasn't that big other than the economy. The GT for being such a newer car, not only seems to be holding its own but increasing rapidly even in a sluggish economy. Is it just me or am I right. I'd like to hear from the guys dealing in these cars to see if they see the samething I think I'm seeing. I enjoy my car for what it is, so it doesn't make much difference to me. It always seemed the Ferrari market was very stable as well as the Pantera market, Mustangs etc. The Gt seems to be the same. Is the over seas market holding these cars up in value or are they just that rare? In short, what gives?
Mike
I think that the GT is holding remarkably well, but your Ferrari 430 and 360 have dropped like a stone recently, so don't think your statement is too accurate.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I agree. What I should have said was "in the past those vehicles held stable for years." It seemed like Panteras were 30,000 to 35,000 for fifteen years or so. The 2000 Cobra R Mustang (300 made) have stayed in the 40,000 to 45,000 range for 8 years. The GT has not only stayed consistant but has increased especially the last 6 months it seems. I think the 430 and 360 has dropped maybe due to the GT. Performance is there, look is there, but it doesn't cost a fortune to maintaine a GT. Just my thoughts

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Ferrari market sucks. Only Ferraris that hold value are the BRAND BRAND new cars, or the old vintage cars. Current 599's, 430's, 360's, 612's, etc all suck in resale. Only Ferrari made in the past 10 years holding any value is the Enzo.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Shelby....why do you think that is. Are people tired of the Ferrari brand, is it the economy or what. I know the Ferrari market is tough but the GT market is not. That is the question I'm trying to answer. Is it a maintance issue or a change in preference?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Modern day Ferraris are depreciating assets. Same for MB and Porsche. Unless it is a limited numbers edition like the Porsche GT. Several thousand units are produced yearly. A newer, better model every 3 to 5 years. Look what's happened to values of 360's, 430's, and Scuds since the 458 came out. Vintage Ferraris (pre '73, Enzo era) are a different story. That market took a bit of a hit in 2008 but values are starting to creep up slowly. Even cars with "higher" production numbers 330 GTC's (about 600 made) and Daytona's (1200 coupes) command 250K to 300K+. A lot of money to park in a car but there's nothing like the sound of a front engined 12 cylinder Ferrari (or a Ford GT with aftermarket exhausts). I think 10 years hence you'd do OK if inclined to sell and you would enjoy the car in the meanwhile.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I guess they were in such limited production - and with the 1000 or more less today than than original production - and seeing how much car this really is for any amount of money, it's no surprise that they hold value as well as they do. I have now owned mine for a month or more, and still have never driven it. It's driving me around the twist just sitting in my garage.

I love the fact that an oil change costs $100.00 rather than 3K like on a Lambo...gotta love that!

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I think the biggiest plus for me is that the GT is so cheap to maintain. I'm strange, I never was concerned with the price of the vehicle but the cost of up keep for a car I didn't drive just wore me out! Oil change on a GT is a bargain I agree!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I love the fact that an oil change costs $100.00 rather than 3K like on a Lambo...gotta love that!

And yet, some owners still complain why they should not be able to go to K-Mart and buy their lesser expensive oil/filter there instead of using the (higher priced, relative speaking) Motorcraft/Mann products recommended by Ford (and most others here as Forum owners).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have now owned mine for a month or more, and still have never driven it. It's driving me around the twist just sitting in my garage.

Uh-oh!!! Stand by for a FLAME JOB by the usual, "get out & DRIVE IT!", suspects!

Eeeeeeeeh, just to be on the safe side, 'mebbe' you'd better throw in the fact that you haven't driven it 'cause you're up to your butt in SNOW right now, or whatever the case may be weather-wise wherever you live.

No...wait a sec...Jeffey and a couple others use their GT's as snow plows, so they'll jump on ya anyway. Hmmmmmmm, 'tis a 'pur-dicka-ment' fer shur...

Oh, wait a minute...you're name's not Pockets! FERGIDDABOUDIT! You're home FREE!!! :lol

H

HHGT

You wanna get depressed, buy a BMW and then try to resell it. If you owned an iPhone and a BMW at the same time, then the only cure is Alcohol.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You wanna get depressed, buy a BMW and then try to resell it.

Wifey can sure vouch for that...:frown

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Why Chip thinks that is.

....why do you think that is. Are people tired of the Ferrari brand, is it the economy or what. I know the Ferrari market is tough but the GT market is not. That is the question I'm trying to answer. Is it a maintance issue or a change in preference?

Several items are in play here. Performance, handling, beauty, rarity, durability, maintenance costs. Most older Ferrari's suffer on all counts (I said most, not all). A whole lot of us don't think the styling of the higher production Ferrari's ages well. The older 15" wheel cars handle like a school bus compared to modern cars and performance wise, a new 5.0 Mustang would humiliate most of them on the track or strip. A 308 or 328 pulling up to a stoplight next to a high school kid in a hood scoop shod Subaru is in for a drubbing. But at least they cost a fortune to maintain, parts are ridiculously expensive, and the cars aren't very rare.

The Ford GT is an anomaly. The Ford GT styling has been around for 45 years now and like the P-51D Mustang, it's beauty has proven to be timeless. With a current population of about 3400 cars spread out all over the world, it is relatively rare and getting rarer every year as they are destroyed at the rate of about one a week. It's handling, especially with Hoosier's and Penski coilovers, is world class, AND, with a few relatively inexpensive mods, it will out accelerate just about anything.

When I am driving my TT GT, the chance I will encounter anything faster on the road is ZERO. The chance I will encounter a more beautiful car on the road is ZERO. Think about this, in a race to 200 MPH, a $200,000 TT GT will beat a Bugatti Veyron by 5 seconds. The GT has proven itself to be very durable even when it's putting out nearly double the stock horsepower, and it's cheap to maintain. Parts prices are the only fly in the Ford GT ointment.

These cars are a tremendous bargain. That's my take on it.

Chip

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Good to know the GT is holding its value and is expected to appreciate further and believe the reasons why have been stated on this forum many times and will continue to be repeated in some form or another. Wonderful for all of the people that have been fortunate enough to purchase and hold on to this asset. Maybe our crystal ball is a little clearer than most have, or we just got lucky to have a GT in our possession. Agree that most Porsches and Ferraris are depreciating, however, for owners of these Marques like me; I don’t care about the depreciation factor. Purchased these cars because I love the way they look with the added benefit they are great cars to drive and they are important for me to own and keep. Same story for the GT purchased this past Tuesday. The older cars in my collection have all appreciated well beyond any expectation and will all continue to be very collectable and firmly believe the GT will have this fate as well. Again, I don’t really care at this point (value wise other than bragging rights) because I have entrusted the sale and profits on these cars to be my executor’s problem. DJ

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

When I am driving my TT GT, the chance I will encounter anything faster on the road is ZERO. The chance I will encounter a more beautiful car on the road is ZERO. Think about this, in a race to 200 MPH, a $200,000 TT GT will beat a Bugatti Veyron by 5 seconds. The GT has proven itself to be very durable even when it's putting out nearly double the stock horsepower, and it's cheap to maintain. Parts prices are the only fly in the Ford GT ointment.

These cars are a tremendous bargain. That's my take on it.

Chip

:agree:

H

HHGT

When I am driving my TT GT, the chance I will encounter anything faster on the road is ZERO. The chance I will encounter a more beautiful car on the road is ZERO.

Chip

The chances there's a better looking man than Chip is ZERO as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The chances there's a better looking man than Chip is ZERO as well.

That is always true when he is standing next to you :)

I don't know about the better looking man, but few are finer men!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Same story for the GT purchased this past Tuesday.

Pics?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Uh-oh!!! Stand by for a FLAME JOB by the usual, "get out & DRIVE IT!", suspects!

Eeeeeeeeh, just to be on the safe side, 'mebbe' you'd better throw in the fact that you haven't driven it 'cause you're up to your butt in SNOW right now, or whatever the case may be weather-wise wherever you live.

No...wait a sec...Jeffey and a couple others use their GT's as snow plows, so they'll jump on ya anyway. Hmmmmmmm, 'tis a 'pur-dicka-ment' fer shur...

Oh, wait a minute...you're name's not Pockets! FERGIDDABOUDIT! You're home FREE!!! :lol
How about 3' of snow and ice? How about - the law here says you need snow tires from 12/15-3/15? Ain't no snow tires for this thing AFAIK...and I don't happen to have a snow plow or an AWD FGT...besides which, salt and aluminum don't go well together, and we've got millions of pounds of salt on the roads here now...

How about - this is what I drive for winter fun -- 525 HP modded Duramax with over 1000 LBS of RWTQ and a measured 0-60 of 5.3 seconds!
I rest my case now. The GT will have to wait a bit longer - :(

newfrontbars.jpg

IMG_0794-1.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
You wanna get depressed, buy a BMW and then try to resell it. If you owned an iPhone and a BMW at the same time, then the only cure is Alcohol.

Spoken like a true drug lord! with all those 100 bills.