Introduce Myself- New Owner

mtdubvee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 25, 2019
Beckley WV
Hi everyone. I’m finally a GT owner. it’s been a dream car of mine for many years and about a month ago finally got into an 8k mile white 4 option car. Previous to this car I’ve always bled blue in the form of newer and 60s mustangs and Shelbys. I look forward to learning about the car and driving it.

In the meantime, it’s not in me to leave the car stock so I’ll be looking for a few parts such as a cat delete system and a lowering kit for starters.

Thanks
Matt

WV

rs122179

GT Owner
Apr 16, 2019
Welcome

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Welcome! If there's one thing I like more than seeing any Ford GT, it's seeing a modified Ford GT! (y) :cool: 🍻

Reactions: ScottK

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Congratulations! You will LOVE this car, there is just no other car like it. Looking forward to photos and hearing about your modifications!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I keep sending Borla messages on their website to reintroduce the systems they made before but never hear anything back. I even asked how many sets I would need to buy to have them reproduce them, silence.

Reactions: mtdubvee

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I keep sending Borla messages on their website to reintroduce the systems they made before but never hear anything back. I even asked how many sets I would need to buy to have them reproduce them, silence.

Prob not the reason, but did you see that Alex Borla passed away? https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/god-speed-alex-borla.38245/

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Prob not the reason, but did you see that Alex Borla passed away? https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/god-speed-alex-borla.38245/
Saw that. RIP

Spaceman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 1, 2012
Central Texas
Congratulations & Welcome!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Welcome! If there's one thing I like more than seeing any Ford GT, it's seeing a modified Ford GT! (y) :cool: 🍻

Glad to see you say that!!

Reactions: extrap

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Welcome and congrats! Share a few pics of your modern or classic Fords if you feel inclined, we'd love to see.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Looking forward to updates with your mods, Matt! Welcome.

Folks, Matt truly has had some terrific old Ford muscle, and actually a few years ago I bought a 1967 S-code from him for my youngest son. We are slowly modifying it for street/strip duty. Here is what happened the very first time my son (age 13 at the time) took that S-code out:

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
Congrats and welcome. Dreams do come true!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I strongly suggest that you get a few thousand miles of experience with the car as-is before you start thinking about mods. Then, make one change at a time! If you want more power, upgrade the suspension first by installing the Scott Ahlman shock/spring set.

Next, search the archives for other threads about the mods you are considering. I seriously doubt you will do something that someone here hasn’t tried before, so learn from them.

A note about exhaust systems: changing the exhaust after the cats makes practically no difference in power, just sound. The stock system is very free-flowing already.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Stock exhaust is also fairly large and heavy so there are likely weight loss benefits also, in addition to improved sound.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The stock can weighs 54 lbs.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Many exhaust options, this is what I went with. Claims to reduce "40lbs of weight" - as it weighs in at an estimated 12.5 lbs.

Reactions: GT Tech and extrap

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Sage advice.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Stock exhaust is also fairly large and heavy so there are likely weight loss benefits also, in addition to improved sound.
Should help with heat reduction with the smaller footprint and better air circulation, right? I’m considering one too.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Should help with heat reduction with the smaller footprint and better air circulation, right? I’m considering one too.
Love my GTGuy X-pipe. Great sound, and very light weight. Call Rich........

Reactions: The Grey Ghost

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Exhaust was always my very first modification on street motorcycles. Never regretted it. Well once I regretted it, with a Kerker exhaust on a Ninja. But never regretted it with Supertrapp or Yoshimura back in the day.

I think many '05 - '06 owners have modified their exhausts with good results. Although I have heard indications of current trend is toward stock generally, but maybe that's for the collectors.

I'm not a thermal engineer, but it does seem with the smaller size and increased flow, heat would be less.