Interesting GT thread on Viper site

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great looking Viper Ripper 02. Love the color/stripe combo!! Wouldn't mind seeing an engine shot!!
That Viper is slow. I heard it only ran an 8.75...that's at an 8th mile track I assume? :confused :wink

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
To begin I offer the apology for the following ramblings of a fool.

I was very close to buying 2005 viper and I didn't. I took one out. I was enamoured by its power but was very lacking in refinement. The way the seats "grab" on to you is great. It was close but I couldn't do it. The gt was a no brainer.

The vette is the way to go if tracking or autocross is your priority. The others cannot match it in this respect. Cheaper to repair, maintain and find r rated tires for. It is built to be tracked out of the box with all its cooling devices, sump pump, multi pot break calipers which let you do endless laps in it. ENdless means without fear of breaking down. This thing is built for an endless day of abuse at the track. And a relaxed drive after on the way home. And if you break something you'll find some parts. Try that with a lamborghini and you will be very dissappointed.

Have you ever noticed that at least half of the magazines testing the Lambos find they inevitably break. I laughed when the marcielago in the latest evo (best car of the year) broke down. Before I even read the article I thought "I bet it breaks down". The gt needs some work to match the relaibiliy of a full day at the track compared to the vette but can still play very well at the track. But the looks of the gt is one of a kind! The viper lost its way.

THe original vipers were undeathdefyingly low and wide with an outrageous amount of horse power. For its time, its appearance could only have been extracted from the DNA of a cartoon sports car.( That is like todays GT). I loved it.

They should have left the looks at the point of astronomically outrageous. Pushed the horsepower and refined the chassi and interior quality. In refining the vehicle overall they ruined the essence of the next generation of the viper. Unfortunately they have continued down that road with the new viper. You either make it a gt or a vette.

Misdirected refinement also ruined the 430 modena. THe 355 was lower, wider and sexier. Impractile but horny.THe 360 was still great looking but you could see the trend to the 430 which frankly is a mechanical display of excellence but an exercise of a wind tunnel designing along with a practical design. Something an arthritic ravaged body can get in and out of and have a place to put its walker. Cars like original viper the pre 430 ferrari's and GT's are idolized for their seductively outrageous appearance which takes precidence over convenience and is topped off with a performance chassi and engine that makes anything else seem like a sniveling biproduct of genetic evolution gone wrong. That is what makes the GT such a great vehicle despite a few stupid washers and less than excellent bolts and both the vette and viper not!

Last edited:

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Love my vipers,BUT!

Come on!The GT is like nothing else.I am getting an 08 viper,But i love my
gt so much i had to buy two.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois

Last edited:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I gave accolades to the viper to the POS Z but you Lamboman.....be the gt?.............You ARE the GT. Thanks for not bereaving me. I felt like a fool who forgot his medication........and there it was, my post.
Then again I have been known to show up in my GT at autocross ?!?!?!?
I must admit when I see a first gen viper (rt/10) go by with the targa top off I get stupid. It is that shape and how it almost looks like the car has melted from the heat over the course of the day and is ready to fufill its destiny and spread itself across the the rest of the pavement like the t-1000 from the terminator. To me a car not that tall is iconic. The 355 creates almost the same illusion but not quite. I wish they would have taken a few more liberties in the body of the 2008 model other than adding a bunch of louvers. None the less all those ponies, brake etc. at that price is an act of generosity by Dodge.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Link doesn't work!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ditto the above!

( and it's all YOUR fault, jdoc!)

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Ok, how bout' now:thumbsup

wormdoggy

Jan 23, 2007
Hello everyone;
I am new to this forum and I am the one that posted on the Viper site. I own a Viper and I am debating on whether or not to purchase a new 08 or a GT. Both cars are superb and I'm just trying to get some additional information.
Thanks
Patrick

Here's the link.......

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=784299&an=0&page=0#Post784299

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They call it the morg for a reason :lol

Just kidding. It's almost impossible to compare the two cars. Ask any number of the guys on here who own tons of Vipers as well as the GT(i.e Lamboman has had over 50 Vipers, Awsum GT is a VCA pres and has multiple Vipers, Ripper 02 has TT versions of both, etc). Ask at the Alley. The majority of guys who own both are here, but there are many at Viper Alley as well and they may be able to give you a more Viper-ish slant. Org devotees seem a bit more Dodge brand specific than the alley. Here is probably the least of the three as owners tend to own a bit of everything from Viper to GT to Ferrari to Lambo etc...

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Sold the other cars. The GT is so rock solid and does it all fast top end more of a machine instead of a car. Now I like all cars but after I drive the GT the Z06 felt like a fast everyday car and the viper well I hadn't driven in a long time and took the guy for a road trip and and was tired of shifting after 3 miles. The GT is just way cool from the mid ship fuel tank to the aluminum everything. Cheap to and easy to bang 650 RWHP out of her as well. Now what to buy......I guess I can only drive one at a time. :wink

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
For being in THE KNOW...you have missed out. 3 tests from different mags are already done, you just haven't seen the results yet. No tie either.....

Yeah I know..if another guy was driving the Z at another track on another day in another country......heard it all before. A loss is a loss...can't make it a win with spin.

Ok..no more Viper /Z stuff on this thread for me. But Mom...I didn't start it!! Long live American Muscle..including the Z06. Think I will go out and beat on mine for awhile.
I Agree a Win is a Win same track,same day,same conditions,same drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hello everyone;
I am new to this forum and I am the one that posted on the Viper site. I own a Viper and I am debating on whether or not to purchase a new 08 or a GT. Both cars are superb and I'm just trying to get some additional information.
Thanks
Patrick

Here's the link.......

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=784299&an=0&page=0#Post784299

Doggy:
Of coarse, you MUST realize you won't get a nonprejudicial recommendation from anybody HERE, don'tcha?:biggrin
Seriously, drive the GT.
'End of your debate!:thumbsup :cheers
And, remember: there will likely be Vipers produced for the foreseeable future, so you'll be able to buy a new one whenever the mood strikes. There will be NO MORE GT's. Period.

Oh. These "bolt" pblms we've all been screaming about on this site and which some folks (including yourself) have mentioned having concerns about on your own Viper site? A solution WILL come about. It'll just be an "issue" 'til then. And remember, the pblm has just affected about 1% of the GT production. WHY we don't know yet. But, we WILL. (Some of your Vipers have had their own pblms as well, remember? Folks on your site have mentioned THOSE. But, the Viper is still what IT is regardless, right?)
As an aside, there are a number of guys on this site who own BOTH these cars!
So, there you go!

'Pockets

Last edited:

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Canuck: "GT's are idolized for their seductively outrageous appearance which takes precidence over convenience and is topped off with a performance chassi and engine that makes anything else seem like a sniveling biproduct of genetic evolution gone wrong. That is what makes the GT such a great vehicle despite a few stupid washers and less that excellent bolts and both the vette and viper not!"

Love it.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome, they are both great cars, I love my GT, but will buy a Viper. Never real paid attention to Vipers until I joined this site. They are two different toys. Stick arround, pour a cold one and enjoy this site.:thumbsup

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Well, I have owned my GT for almost a year now. My newest toy is my 06 Viper Coupe. The Viper is a great car, and more practical. The GT is not practical at all, but who bought their GT to be practical? I sure as hell did not. I have never understood why people complain about practicality with the GT when that was never the idea. People who complain about it are not the target demographic, and they just try to have something to complain about. Drive one and make up your own mind. Opinions are just that, opinions. The only one that matters is yours. Good luck!:cheers

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
The ford gt is on another level.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
The only reason I don't sell the viper is its 96'...I always wanted a B/W Viper..I finally bought one about a year before I got the GT...

The way I equate it to people when they ask me what the viper is like compared to the GT is that its a brick with a motor...it takes alot of getting used to driving it again...actually I don't think I have driven it in about 2 months!!!! Guess I need to take it out tomorrow.

Matt

M

Mark O

They call it the morg for a reason :lol

Just kidding.
No you're not, it's the truth! :lol

BTW, it's also called Flander's Forum. But not for long from what I understand.

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Great looking Viper Ripper 02. Love the color/stripe combo!! Wouldn't mind seeing an engine shot!! I'll show you mine first.

Thanks Lamboman!!!!!

Your Monster Looks nice !!!!!

Here is a few pics..

And Yes Dave.... the 8.75 was 1/8 mile hehehehehehehe:thumbsup