Instrument Cluster Binnancle Removal

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
I want to replace my instrument cluster binnancle, but first I have to get it out. I found the three screws at the top and the two in the front. The binnancle seems to be held by screws on the sides which are covered by the dash.any way it didn't move when the 5 screws were removed. What is the trick?

Any help on this would be aprerciated.

GT Bill

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Hey Bill,
There are a number of excellent posts on this topic on the site.
Try a search.
Best,
Mark

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure you use a LOT of blue tape and towels to do this grasshopper.

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
Ok Thanks. I searched the gauge panel replacement threads again and found one that dealt with the binnacle removal.

Thanks Again!

I'll post another thread for buying a good used OEM binancle.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ok Thanks. I searched the gauge panel replacement threads again and found one that dealt with the binnacle removal.

Thanks Again!

I'll post another thread for buying a good used OEM binancle.
You must be installing a CF one.

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
No, I didn't read the posts about taping the unit before I scratched it (yea I know - dumb move!) and I want to replace my scratched OEM with another OEM w/o scratches.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
No, I didn't read the posts about taping the unit before I scratched it (yea I know - dumb move!) and I want to replace my scratched OEM with another OEM w/o scratches.
As I recall the top left corner is tight when removing the gauges, the thickness of the tape makes it more so. The Speedhut panel is a little smaller in dimension and goes in a bit easier.

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
OK Thanks but I still need to replace my scratched binnacle. And you are correct that is where I scratched my binnacle - top left. ugh!

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Hi GT Bill, can you send/post the link of the binnacle removal instructions. I searched and didn't find it. I did find a bunch of other interesting posts though.

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
Search - type in - Instrument panel. go to thread by wonkawonka "How do I remove the instrument panel?" dated 6 2011

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
That was helpful. If you have a chance to take a few pictures that would be fantastic. Thanks so much.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
You are so right about the left side. If the panel was 3 mm shorter on the right side would be able to take it out without any problem. Right now it has 1 layer of blue tape on the binnacle and I am afraid if I forced it it will cut through the tape into the binnacle. The right side barely moves. However the whole panel easily wiggles back and forth nicely
As I recall the top left corner is tight when removing the gauges, the thickness of the tape makes it more so. The Speedhut panel is a little smaller in dimension and goes in a bit easier.

. I have not checked but could the harness be holding this up on the right side? I did release the harness.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area

You are so right about the left side. If the panel was shaved 3 mm shorter on the right side would be able to take the panel out without any problem. Right now it has 1 layer of blue tape on the binnacle and I am afraid if I forced the left side it it will cut through the tape into the binnacle. The right side barely moves. However the whole panel easily wiggles back and forth nicely . I have not checked but could the harness be holding this up on the right side? I did release the harness. Any thoughts? Please do not be offended. I am going to write this question on different threads to try to get alternative opinions. Thanks.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Getting that panel out was very tough. I wise person said that you don’t want to take that panel out again and recommended replacing the gauges with Autometer gauges. They are spot on to the OEM gauges. Apparently they are a better gauge than the Ford gauges. So I bought all the small gauges (they on’t make the larger two gauges). Was pricy but probably worth it. Started it up yesterday and everything is functioning. I also recommend taking pictures of each gauge so they are reinstalled exactly. This was Kendall’s recommendation and it was very helpful. I’m an old fart and don’t work with gloves. Gloves definitely give you a better grip when removing the panel. I thought about using suction cups but didn’t need to. I couldn’t have done this job without Kendall, Shadowman and everyone’s contributions. Now the daunting task of putting the panel back.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Has anyone tried using a fine file to remove 2mm of material on the left side of the panel?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Smart move replacing all of the smalls.

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
Pulled my dash yesterday and replaced all the small gauges... finished it off this a.m. Biggest problem for me was disconnecting the (2) electrical connectors; top one went ok, but the bottom was a bear. Probably had 45 minutes and two "time outs" to cool down and get blood flowing back into my shoulder (it's an Advil day for sure).

I bought a small 90 degree "pick" from the hardware store. When I had about 1/2" of clearance on the left side of the panel and had the right side out far enough that the bottom part of the right panel where it transitions from round around the tach to straight below the fuel gauge had cleared, I hooked the left side through a mounting hole and was able to pull it the most of the way out, at the end just had to slide the assembly a little to the left to finally pull clear.

Getting the electrical tape off all the gauge connectors and replacing it was kinda tedious too.

While I was at it, I took a Dremel with a wire brush and cleaned up the bolt, the terminal and the threaded hole in the frame for the neg. cable and smeared on some diaelectric grease before reconnecting the battery.

Was lucky; everything fired back up and no engine codes from being off the battery.

Just back from an hour shakedown run - sweet!

Dan

Reactions: DakotaGT and GTMD

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
After taking a vacation from R&R the gauge panel with Autometer small gauges I started up the car and all is good. Next will be to reinstall. I haven’t looked at the panel to see if I can file a few millimeters off the left side without ruining it. As no one has offered up this idea it probably is not wise.
Dan, nice overview of your work.

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
If I had an extra gauge panel with nothing attached (circuit boards, odometer, wiring harness, etc.) I would have attempted to trim it down. But after seeing all the places that filings could “hide”, I wouldn’t do it.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
If I had an extra gauge panel with nothing attached (circuit boards, odometer, wiring harness, etc.) I would have attempted to trim it down. But after seeing all the places that filings could “hide”, I wouldn’t do it.
Good point. Filing is out.