Installed TPMS system last week.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I am as diligent as anyone when comes to keeping an eye on my tire pressures, especially with no spare.
I check them every time the car leaves the garage.

Having read previous threads on the subject, I know there are different views here on how helpful these systems can be.

While I know a difference can be felt when driving as a tire pressure drops, I believe these systems can provide an earlier warning and help avoid possible headaches associated with a flat. One of my bigger reasons was for longer outings.

There are a number of systems available, I chose to go with one produced by Schrader, who happens to manufacture a good portion of the OE sensors. I got the battery powered monitor, however they also have a cheaper set up that can be hard wired for power.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-SCH-...8-23&keywords=tire+pressure+monitoring+system

Parameters for each position can be programmed and a visual, as well as an audible, warning are activated with a 25% or more drop in pressure. You can also monitor on going readings in a one position at a time mode in which you scroll through each position, or set it in a rotation mode which scrolls through each position continually. (I found this distracting)

Only one outing so far, but it has worked great up to this point. It also monitors tire temps.

Found a perfect place for the monitor/receiver, and it is just mounted with velcro so I can access the Air Bag Switch if needed (doubt I ever will).
The monitor shuts off after lack of movement, and only takes the motion of opening the door to active the receiver.

Due to the shape of the rear wheel beside the valve stem hole, I did have to rotate the sensor 180 degrees to keep it hanging free, but that doesn't effect it's function.

I'm not advocating this as a replacement for regularly checking your pressures, but as an additional tool for on going monitoring.

Attachments

• DSC06092.JPG
    DSC06092.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 445

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That's pretty cool. I'm a believer in TPMS. Just a few weeks ago, I got a puncture in a Touareg tire. I didn't feel anything, but the TPMS warned me soon enough to get to a tire shop. Saved me a roadside tire change.

Did you install them when having new tires mounted?

Thanks for posting. And, I see you have one of the ultra-rare Stormcat bottle holders!

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I put one in the GT too. $1.50 from Autozone.

image.jpg

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Lol!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm just giving you a hard time Grey Ghost. That is a neat idea.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
There's a new system just coming out based on simple valve stem caps with Bluetooth results to your smartphone, or a dash module. But the results simply on your phone seems pretty cool to me.....

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
That's pretty cool. I'm a believer in TPMS. Just a few weeks ago, I got a puncture in a Touareg tire. I didn't feel anything, but the TPMS warned me soon enough to get to a tire shop. Saved me a roadside tire change.

Did you install them when having new tires mounted?

Thanks for posting. And, I see you have one of the ultra-rare Stormcat bottle holders!

Short version Gary, I have access to the equipment to do my own tires, so I just broke the bead down on one side, installed the sensors, reseated the bead and rebalanced the wheels.

I love Brian's bottle holders. Dr. Frank hooked me up with Brian after I saw his at my first rally in Austin. (Now Frank is going to want a commission) :)

See you and Amy next month.

Jeff

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I'm just giving you a hard time Grey Ghost. That is a neat idea.

No problem, I can take it (and dish it out now and then) ;)

Thanks, Jeff

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Man, you guys must not have been driving in the 70s

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Cool idea! Since I'm about to change tires, this is a definite consideration. I poked around on Amazon, and there are several other brands, including those that will display to an in-car video system (maybe backup camera display?), and to a rear-view mirror. Hmmmm…

Here's another link: http://www.amazon.com/ORO-Technolog...bs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=15BXC4PHEMH2X6NK7Z4P

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Cool idea! Since I'm about to change tires, this is a definite consideration. I poked around on Amazon, and there are several other brands, including those that will display to an in-car video system (maybe backup camera display?), and to a rear-view mirror. Hmmmm…

Here's another link: http://www.amazon.com/ORO-Technolog...bs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=15BXC4PHEMH2X6NK7Z4P

Save your money to pay your tangible personal property tax. :lol

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Man, you guys must not have been driving in the 70s

We also had bias ply tires (with a spare) and drum brakes all they way around. :)

No reason not to take advantage of modern technology.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I know I like the idea of tire pressure monitoring and I was definitely driving in the 70's

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
There's a new system just coming out based on simple valve stem caps with Bluetooth results to your smartphone, or a dash module. But the results simply on your phone seems pretty cool to me.....

I'm curious to know how pressure which is on other side of valve stem would be picked up/read

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I assume whenever it is screwed on it opens the Schrader valve, exposing the internal pressure to a sensor in the device, and when removed the valve closes until you open it again in the process of adding air.....

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting....

Any issues with the tires spinning really fast (like 200MPH)?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Interesting....

Any issues with the tires spinning really fast (like 200MPH)?

Only had it to 135 since installed and no problems up to that point.
Hope to be able to test them at quicker speeds in 3 weeks. :)

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I assume whenever it is screwed on it opens the Schrader valve, exposing the internal pressure to a sensor in the device, and when removed the valve closes until you open it again in the process of adding air.....

Love the idea of TPMS but not to sure about schrader valve being held in open position by a stem cap, maybe ok but worries me a bit

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Love the idea of TPMS but not to sure about schrader valve being held in open position by a stem cap, maybe ok but worries me a bit

I would think they would be similar to the caps that show the pressure in the top of the cap, turn green when at the preset pressure, or the valve stem extenders used with hubcaps. I have seen these styles leak after time.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I think Paul has the right idea -

I put one in the GT too. $1.50 from Autozone.

View attachment 35220