Inspection Problem

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm trying to understand a problem on a local GT. The car is a low milage, pulley tune car with stock exhaust. It will not pass the state inspection but it doesn't show any codes on the SCT handheld unit. The state's inspection machine is the type that would require OBDII port to be attached while the car turns a dyne wheel (it's hard one to fake out). Also, the actual state inspection machine show that the Evap/Emission test is failing. All other XXXX/Emission codes are showing a pass.

I suspect the "75 mile emissions test" is the problem but I thought it would throw a code on the SCT. Any thoughts from the group?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
If the car has an OBDII port then they don't require it to run on a dyno. The dyno test is only for cars without the OBDII... if they ran it on a dyno they need to go somewhere else. Also one failure doesn't fail the test. My viper failed 1 of the many items and it still passed.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The place up the road from me put every car on the dyno, OBDII or not. I have been told that the standard varies from county to county.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Question for those getting tested in CA, beside running your car on the rollers and stuffing a probe in the tailpipe, does the technician connect the machine to the car's OBDII port? I have heard that some do and some don't.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'm trying to understand a problem on a local GT. The car is a low milage, pulley tune car with stock exhaust. It will not pass the state inspection but it doesn't show any codes on the SCT handheld unit. The state's inspection machine is the type that would require OBDII port to be attached while the car turns a dyne wheel (it's hard one to fake out). Also, the actual state inspection machine show that the Evap/Emission test is failing. All other XXXX/Emission codes are showing a pass.

I suspect the "75 mile emissions test" is the problem but I thought it would throw a code on the SCT. Any thoughts from the group?
My car did exactly that after having the pulley/tune done to it, just failed the NY inspection, I drove it about 100 miles, came back and passed with no problem. No codes were displayed.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Yea thats crap..so your saying its a in Denton or Collin county? The requirements are by the state not the county. They either have to test or don't based on the pollution in the area.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
agree with aggie, test is state based, just take it to another place those bozo's dont know what theyre doing, they just want to see the car again :)

Uncle Jim

May 2, 2010
CA emissions test vary by county. We have a rolling emissions and OBDII test in SF Bay Area. Pulley shouldn't affect emissions results. They test at two RPMs during rolling test.

James

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
agree with aggie, test is state based, just take it to another place those bozo's dont know what theyre doing, they just want to see the car again :)

I bought a 91 NSX which passed the inspection in San Antonio. When I went to get it registered I was told I needed to have it inspected even though it had a valid inspection sticker. I was told by the clerk that some counties had different standards and weren't as stringent as Fort Bend county. It passed, but my Testarossa didn't and now I am having to put a tune in it to pass. :thumbsdow I never heard of anyone having to do the dyno with a OBDII though, just cars 95 and before.

John

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Oddly, reverting to the stock tune and running thru the emission cycle got it to pass the inspection.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Oh and Texas inspection standards do vary from county to county.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/item_insp.asp