In Car Race Camera

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I know that there must be a thread out there somewhere discussing the options for best camera system, mount etc but I was unable to find it so I'd like to know what eveyone is using and what you recommend. Dont want to drill into the car or cause any damage but would like to have a decent camera system to use on track days. What sayest thou?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Camera

I use a VIO system that I purchased from a fellow racer. The system is very rugged and uses a good camera. Sports Car mag. (the SCCA mag.) did a review and liked this one best including picture quality. It is easy to use and has a remote to allow easy on and off so you don't get lots of pit lane stuff.

The system is, reputably, used by law enforcement and the military and is water resistant. I use it with a suction cup mounting system in the GT to attach the camera to the inside of the windshield and to the rear glass for a cockpit view. Personally, I like the windshield mount best as it gives more front view and the cockpit view doesn't have good picture quality due to the differing light levels. The standard system is self contained but can be powered by the car if you want.

The system is about $700. The guys I bought mine from are racers and great guys. I am not sure about posting their information on the site so, if you want their contact information, send me a PM and I will pass it on to you.

Big Dog

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
you may post the links Jim.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I second the VIO system. A friend of mine has one, it has been in race cars, skiing, and even dirt go karts. it is a self contained system running a CF card. For the race cars and the karts, wire tied the thing to the roll bars.

http://www.vio-pov.com/

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Thanks guys I'll check it out. I appreciate the advice!

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
I use a chase cam....works well and has flexibility. a remote start stop button. picture quality is pretty good. Several ways to attach. and if you use the front and back setup you can change the way the playback windows are setup...i.e. split screen, lower left, upper right...etc

www.chasecam.com

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
www.goprocamera.com

my brother is sponsored by them

here is a link to my bro's website with vidz of him using their motorsports hero quick release mount >>> www.sloneracing.com

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've used the Chasecam system with the splitter and two cameras. A little pricey but it works well and the bullet cameras are very easy to mount and adjust.

I also just bought a Motocomm helmet mounted camera system for a different perspective. I haven't tested it yet so I won't vouch for it but the website is https://www.rflimited.com/Site.asp?CID=3 Click on the DSR-1003G on the left.

As an aside, if anyone wants to try the Motocomm setup, I can get them one through my business at wholesale, which is about $275 plus shipping. Just PM me.

Last edited:

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Camera

With Bony's permission here is the information on the VIO system:

Visual Communications, Inc.
www.vis-comm.com

The camera system is not easy to find on the web site. I just called them up. They were great to work with.

Big Dog

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I have been happy with the Chase Cam/Traqmate set up. Kinda like watching a video game with the g's, speed, track map ect.

Nathan- If you want to see it first hand before buying let me know.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have been happy with the Chase Cam/Traqmate set up. Kinda like watching a video game with the g's, speed, track map ect.

Nathan- If you want to see it first hand before buying let me know.

Jeff, I'd like to see it. I will be at Firebird this saturday morning for a couple laps in the GT with the proautosports group. They will be on the main track Saturday and Sunday. I'm just doing a few laps with the novice/street group. Its the first time my wife will have been on the race track so hopefully I can give her a fun but mellow experience. Probably wont be as fast as I was with your group. Its also the first time on the track with the HP mods and new clutch set-up.

Nathan

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Will you be in the 8am street car group?

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Will you be in the 8am street car group?

I'm hoping to be. My plane gets into Phoenix at 11:30 pm the night before so I might be dragging a bit but thats the plan. Probably just stay for the morning as we have to be at a Barrett Jackson Child Help Gala that evening in Scottsdale.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Great excuse to take a morning cruise in the GT! See you there.

BTW,

Its the first time my wife will have been on the race track so hopefully I can give her a fun but mellow experience.

You might consider asking her to drink some Coke-a-cola to help with any motion sickness she may encounter while on track. Alternatively, I believe there is an over the counter non-drowsy medication available but I have had no experience with it. Here's some more great info in this thread;

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10586&highlight=motion+sick

You never get a second chance at that kinda thing... my wife says she will never get in a sand car with me again! :lol

-Jeff

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Great advice Jeff!

My eldest son, the first time he rode in a track car, completely decorated the interior of a brand new corvette with last nights dinner and that mornings breakfast. It was like a Monty Python movie!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Thanks to Jeff, T38 and everyone else who came out to Firebird to see me, my wife, and my car run today. I really appreciate the comraderie of this group. I cant say enough good things about this site and the people who make it great!