I guess I am truly a GT owner now: My first gauge failure.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Chalk up another speedometer to the guage gremlins. My speedometer worked perfectly when I had the GT out a few weeks ago, but it is now pegged at 0 and will not move. There were no indications of impending failure. The odometer and all other gauges seem fine.

I have replaced the speed sensor to no avail. I replaced the battery with an OEM Optima last November. My GT is almost always on a Battery Tender when she's sitting in the garage. 10,700 miles on the (still functioning :bored) odometer.

To the more knowledgeable on the Forum:

Is there anything else I can check before I take it to the dealership (cringe) and have them run a computer diagnostic to confirm the speedometer is bad? I would like confirmation before I spend the money to replace it.

Has anybody had success with having their speedometer repaired? If so, could you please pass along who performed the work?

Best Regards,
Waldo

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Its not fair--the odo should at least go out too.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does each individual gauge 'ground' separately...or do they all ground at a single point?

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Welcome Waldo!. 3rd guage here over a year...different ones. Ford will do nothing....yet.....supposedly a "normal" condition on a $150K car 5yrs old with 10K miles lol. I know they are in a "pinch" and we should be "lucky" to just have the car....but I still believe/feel what I do. Drive with the tach.......pretty easy, just annoying and you shouldn't have to.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Waldo, crap luck man. I've got no ideas on the gauge situation, but I'm pretty sure your pics (when the site had pics) helped me decide to go silver/black.
Thanks for that:thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Don't let the dealer scratch your leather dash while swapping gauges.

Don't ask me how I know.:frown

Better yet, do it yourself if you can.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We just shipped a new speedometer to another member yesterday... unfortunately that's one of the more expensive gauges. Sorry it happened to you.

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
Just happened to me at 3500miles. No warning just didnt work one day when I fired it up? I'm gonna get the dealer to send pulses to it on a obd scanner to confirm and then change myself. Good "how to" thread on here somewhere. Cheapest speedo I've seen online was $895 +shipping. Good Luck

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I felt last year at the rally the ford (I think he was a buyer) told us they were going to get this fixed....Not like Ford just to let us hang. So easy for them to put some guys on it and I would hope at least they would sell us gages that work and for a manufactured price.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome to the club Waldo! I am on speedo #3 & fuel gauge #2.

Ed

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
....Not like Ford just to let us hang..
Yeah, right. They've NEVER done that before. Naive.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Confirmed...

After following Torrie's advice to use my SCT programmer to datalog vehicle speed from the ECU, I'm pretty sure I have confirmed that my speedometer is toast. Thanks to all who responded with special thanks once again to Torrie for saving my GT from a trip to the dealership.

At least I finally figured out how to use the SCT LiveLink data acquisition software. If you've never used it, it's pretty cool. Now I need to decide if I replace the speedometer immediately or wait until a common failure mechanism is determined.

Best Regards,
Waldo

H

HHGT

After following Torrie's advice to use my SCT programmer to datalog vehicle speed from the ECU, I'm pretty sure I have confirmed that my speedometer is toast. Thanks to all who responded with special thanks once again to Torrie for saving my GT from a trip to the dealership.

At least I finally figured out how to use the SCT LiveLink data acquisition software. If you've never used it, it's pretty cool. Now I need to decide if I replace the speedometer immediately or wait until a common failure mechanism is determined.

Best Regards,
Waldo

wait would be my suggestion.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Where did you find a tach for $895 + shipping ???

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
canadiancobra referred to a speedo for $895, not a tach, just to clarify. Waldo, I think you will have a long wait. I've been doing the same for well over a year with my replacement guages. If it really bugs you to be without speedo, I'd roll the dice and replace it. Otherwise wait, but it does not seem like any thing is right around the corner.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
but it does not seem like any thing is right around the corner.

Except Mardyn?

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
I am very nervous to replace mine!! Everytime I start the car I check my guages wondering if I have to spend more money.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
canadiancobra referred to a speedo for $895, not a tach, just to clarify.

How much are Tachs?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
How much are Tachs?

I had to replace mine a few months ago. I think it cost me $1,100. When I disassembled the old unit, it looked pretty basic inside… a very small circuit board that could fit in any of a hundred different units offered by Autometer. I have been meaning to look at the I/O for a standard Autometer gauge to see if I could change out the connector. One more thing on a long list of todo’s.