Hyundia and Kia busted again.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
So ten years ago they got caught overstating the horse power on 1.3 million cars.

Now for 2012 when mileage sells cars like nothing else.

The EPA has caught up with them again. Almost a million vehicles of overstated fuel economy. Including all 6 of their models they claimed to deliver 40MPG.

They were questioned by many writers and automobile critics, some who could only get 26mpg out of their claimed 40 mpg cars. And they had nothing but excuses.

Of course the company reports their testing process made some errors.

Yea right 13 different models two brands, it was just simple error.
:bs:bs:bs:bs:bs
There goes the residual values again.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Of course the company reports their testing process made some errors....

Kinda easy to understand -

Their measurements were obviously in Kilometers/hour - Do the math: 40 km/h = 25 mph

Nobody every taught math to the sales & marketing people :frown

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Are you saying that they the tests are are using fuel mileage calculations based on a 25 MPH speed rather than a 40 MPH speed?:eek MPG equates to "Liters /100 km's", usually anyway.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Are you saying that they the tests are are using fuel mileage calculations based on a 25 MPH speed rather than a 40 MPH speed?:eek MPG equates to "Liters /100 km's", usually anyway.

I'm saying that Marketing/Sales was probably given a number (an integer) like 40.

They added the "l/km" or "mpg" to it without thinking about it.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I like Ralphie's analysis....how convenient for them...and costly for buyers!! What recourse would a buyer have? Who will hold them accountable? No use in having them pay a fine, as that will not help all the customers who are on the receiving end of false advertising/bad math/inconvenient truth.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I love the smell of a class action lawsuit in the morning. It smells like . . .victory.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I like how they weren't even remotely in the ballpark. :lol 26 mpg on an advertised 40? Ha!