How to tell if your CF panels have been repainted (in the future)

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
This may actually apply to our GT's:

An attribute for appraising
Back in the day, the carbon fiber weave on the F40s may not have been as visible off the production line but as the years go by and the carbon fiber goes through more and more temperature cycles, that weave becomes more apparent. This attribute is used by collectors and aficionados to determine whether a panel’s been painted or repaired.

It’s virtually impossible to sand or prep the original surface without flattening the tops of the fiber weaves, and repairs will most likely be coated with a filler primer to smooth the panel before painting it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I can’t think like that!
What if’s are a waste of time

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I watched the paint process and witnessed the over the top extreme care. Typical Viper about 95 to 102 hours Ford GT 600+ hours. I wish like our 05/06 GT that we would hear talks about the painting process they did for our cars. The testing of every painter was insane the hand picked crew created the best of the best. They prep work the prime coats the carbon sealing and the paint work made it seem almost impossible. Imagine each stripe that is next to the paint was "filled" to match the same thickness level (not sprayed over the base paint). Curing process was altered to keep the paint from becoming brittle. The buffing pads were reduced in size to and held to special formulas to prevent edge burning and low heat. so much was done it would be difficult to describe. Maybe someday we can hear from Multimatic or the sub that spent so much work to make a perfect car.

Reactions: ENZO BTR and JWZ