How to remove seat base?

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Can anyone tell me how to remove the seat base in the NFGT?

Working on options for some more headroom. Want to see exactly what I’m working with.

I don’t fit with a helmet on and it’s time to get this car on the track!

Reactions: Ed Sims

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Think I figured it out. Have to remove the little storage area first....

Will report back with details for the next person who wants to try this.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I did full custom seat project for more room as well. Happy to share how

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Step one complete. Two T10 torx bolts to remove front storage bin. Bottom of compartment velcro’d to the floor.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Step two. Two 13mm bolts easily visible and accessed after storage compartment comes off

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
E5224DDA-CA5C-47E0-8F50-45EE1587049F.jpegA743634E-DEF7-4840-B6DA-4E430B37D49B.jpeg7EE3C143-AE17-4E9E-81F8-357187000AD2.jpegFC685B2B-4F2B-4D72-BAC7-99B4DDADBB6C.jpeg

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Hmm... now it looks like I might need to remove seat back to get to bolts at the back of the seat base... investigating.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Step three. Two 13mm bolts at back of seat. Was able to access by angling seat back forward and accessing from behind the seat.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Step four. No step four. All done. FFAE46B2-9024-4F18-98CB-0681BBECFDDA.jpeg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't undo the airbag wire on the passenger side. You will have to go back to the dealer to have it reset

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Don’t take off the rear nuts, just loosen them. The seat’s rear bracket is slotted, so it’s a lot easier to push the base back in rather than mess around trying to thread the nuts back on

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Thanks for the pictures. Keep us updated. I’m interested in the same thing. My head brushes the roof without a helmet.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Take up @jaxgt offer to share what he did. I don't know all the details, but he had a 2 part foam seat bottom made (how race car seats inserts are made). Perhaps he can share more.

BillyJRacing

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2018
I worked with an interior group to make a replacement foam seat bottom, upholstered identical to OEM and gains about 2" of head room. at 6'0" (with the torso height of a 6'3" person) I can fit with a helmet no problem. A 6'5" guy now fits in the GT with no issues. I can put you in touch with them so you would just need to remove your foam and then slap in the lower profile foam and replacement cover. Or send your seat bottom in and i'm sure they can do the install and send you back your original foam and cover to have on hand to convert it back if you ever wanted to.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
I've got the guys at Canepa cutting up my seat and re-upholstering it to look OEM. To get as much room as possible actually cutting a hole in the carbon fiber of the OEM base so (minimal) cushioning and alcantera will be resting directly on seat tub. Keeping the carbon fiber frame everywhere else and still have some bolstering for my legs.

Should get the car back soon, I'll post photos of the finished product.

I also bought an extra seat base from Ford so can bring the car back to OEM spec at any time.

Canepa is an amazing place and they do concours+ level work. If you are in the Bay Area and haven't been there you need to check them out.

IMG_0538.jpegIMG_0544.jpeg

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
You could buy just the base or had to buy the entire seat?

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
You could buy just the base or had to buy the entire seat?

I was able to buy the seat base from Ford without having to purchase the seat back. Cost me $2,799. Kevin Koshkarian at Pat Miliken Ford took care of everything and was awesome as always.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I was able to buy the seat base from Ford without having to purchase the seat back. Cost me $2,799. Kevin Koshkarian at Pat Miliken Ford took care of everything and was awesome as always.
KK is a professional and a pleasure to deal with. Thanks

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Any updates? Does dropping the seat cushion allow for the side bolsters to be a little more supportive? Does it narrow the seat any? Please posts pictures of the bottom cushion before and after.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Got the completed project back. It’s great! Will write more and take photos later today.

Reactions: CJ428