How to remove McIntosh radio?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
This might have been discussed before, but I didn't find an answer in a quick search. I put a new Speedhut panel in my GT this weekend. I'll write more about that later, and I'm even working on a YouTube video of how to do it. However, I will need to put in a separate boost sensor to complete the setup (20 PSI gauge). I also need to pull out the radio. There is a connector on the back of the radio, however, there is one wire (actually a pair of wires, black, that look twinned like lamp cord) That do not seem to have a connector. They go straight from the radio back to the wiring harness. I also opened up the top of the radio to see if there was some way to disconnect them internally, but that didn't look promising either.

Anybody give me a hint?

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It's been years since I had the McIntosh out so I can't picture it, but all the wires had connectors. One is really buried. You may need to take the lower dash out to get to it. I don't recall anything that looked like lamp cord.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is special tool to remove the radio. There were several threads on this. You have to pull off the silver side pieces to expose the vertical slits to slide the two release mechanisms on each side of the radio. Use a lot of blue tape and towels to protect everything. Torrie used to have the tools in stock for sale. There should be wiring harness and wire running to amp on firewall. If you're in there, time to install wire with two RCA plugs so you can hook up iPod etc.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
There is special tool to remove the radio. There were several threads on this. You have to pull off the silver side pieces to expose the vertical slits to slide the two release mechanisms on each side of the radio. Use a lot of blue tape and towels to protect everything. Torrie used to have the tools in stock for sale. There should be wiring harness and wire running to amp on firewall. If you're in there, time to install wire with two RCA plugs so you can hook up iPod etc.
I have the removal tool. I wouldn't know about that wire if I wasn't already in there. Good suggestion to install the RCA plugs-to-3.5mm headphone jack, which I did a couple years ago so I could play music from my iPhone. I'll have to pull more apart to see if there is another connector further upstream.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Pete- there should be just the 3 wires from what I remember. The big blue connector, the small yellow wire with the white connector and the antenna lead wire. those are just for the radio. doesn't include the power amp and sub woofer connections but those 3 I believe should let you remove the radio.
PS: FYI- there is a big blue connector and big gray connector. the gray is for the base radio and the blue is for the McIntosh. Ford provided both in the harness. you only use one or the other. Thank you Ford Motor Company!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Scott, thanks for the info. I think I have to loosen the silver frame to find the connectors. I'll get to it tomorrow.