How much power is usable with the Ford GT?

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
I'm considering a standard pulley and tune upgrade vs a Gen II whipple and tune. I don't plan on doing any headers/ exhaust work as I don't want the car loud.

How drivable is the Ford GT with the whipple and ~675-700 rwhp? Can you roll into it in 1st and 2nd without lighting the tires up, or is it just spin city with that much power?

thanks!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have done the standard (FordRacing) Pulley and tune and Exhaust (Borla) . Exhaust is quiet (just a bit louder than stock) and the car Dynos at 612 hp at the rear tires. This combo is entirely controllable. I have had it on dry pavement (Austin / Goliad Texas) and had it on VIR for 2 days on the track in the rain. My tires are the OEM Goodyears and I have 6000 miles on the ODO> You can use as a 'baseline'.
AJB (andy)

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I had the Heffner Pulley/tune and loved it. Currently have a Heffner TT that puts down over 1,000 to the rear wheels.

As for usable power.... all of it, even in the TT form. With warm tires I have not had any drivability issues in either format. The TT will break loose occasionally depending on the weather but really usable power is a driver question (meaning what are you comfortable with) . I drive my TT everywhere. :cheers

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
My ACR with 609HP to the wheels lights up the tires in 1st and 2nd gear on the street.... After having a GT-R and GTT that can put lots of power down easily, the ACR quickly became annoying... :)

I had the Heffner Pulley/tune and loved it. Currently have a Heffner TT that puts down over 1,000 to the rear wheels.

As for usable power.... all of it, even in the TT form. With warm tires I have not had any drivability issues in either format. The TT will break loose occasionally depending on the weather but really usable power is a driver question (meaning what are you comfortable with) . I drive my TT everywhere. :cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
My ACR with 609HP to the wheels lights up the tires in 1st and 2nd gear on the street.... After having a GT-R and GTT that can put lots of power down easily, the ACR quickly became annoying... :)

To clarify, I drive mine often and at high speed regularly. Almost 12,000 miles. 6,000 was with the pulley/tune and over 2,000 with the TT. Never broke loose with the pulley and only occasionally with the TT, but most of my heavy acceleration is in a straight line. I also have an in cabin boost controller that allows me to lower the hp if I want to. I never usually run less than 850rwhp. I was worried about drivability when I went TT. I talked to everybody I could. Chip in particular was helpful as he tracks his TT alot and he told me I would love it and would never regret it. He was wrong though. I don't love it. I LOVE it!! :lol I guess what I am saying is the GT is a drivers car and you seem like you drive noting the cars you have on your signature. Mile racing is what prompted the TT for me, but I really do enjoy it in all aspects of driving and never think about the SC and wish I had taken the TT plunge sooner.

Hope that is more helpful.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
......and aftermarket tires make a huge difference in the complexion of the car. The stock GY's are not great.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I have the Gen II Whipple, Accufab Throtle Body, Accufab Exhaust. 697 HP with the stock Goodyears. As said before the tires and there temp is the limiting factor. With cold Goodyears and cold ambient temps you need to be VERY carefull in first, second and third. Do not ask me how I know this. Rolling into the throtle with warm stuff isn't so bad. Punch it in first, second or dump the clutch in third while rolling and they will spin. Good news! My car seems to track very straight as you boil the tires. I am on my third set of G/Y rear tires and just turned 10K. I have a set of Bridgestones waiting in the garage. I have taken the car out on every run with the intent to be "NICE" and not spin the tires. Just putt along and enjoy the smell of the flowers. I have yet to be successful. Somewhere, sometime, leaving a red light I am going to just let it go for a second and hear that beautifull music a Ford GT makes. It is an addiction, worse than some drugs, just gotta "DO IT".

Larry Boatner

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have about 700+ hp to rear wheels with Bridgestones and a 2nd gen Whipple.
Nice warm Florida weather, awesome Bridgestones, and a tidbit of control over my right foot leaves me feeling that most of my power is usable.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
All of it, as often as I can.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Is the 550 stock Hp rated to the flywheel or to the tires , and how accurate is this figure , has anyone ever dynoed a stock GT

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I am on my third set of G/Y rear tires and just turned 10K....

That's a lot of tire smoking!!!

Last set of Goodyears, I got 14,000.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Ralphie,

Guilty as charged. Busted!! I did wear one set out having more fun than legal at an autocross. You know those guys get upset when you spin out 4 or 5 times in one run knocking down lots of cones at the same time. I did not win anything, but I did get a standing ovation from the crowd on the pit wall when I finished. LOL

Larry Boatner

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm considering a standard pulley and tune upgrade vs a Gen II whipple and tune. I don't plan on doing any headers/ exhaust work as I don't want the car loud.

How drivable is the Ford GT with the whipple and ~675-700 rwhp? Can you roll into it in 1st and 2nd without lighting the tires up, or is it just spin city with that much power?

thanks!

Come and check out my pulley and tune car. I have out run some whipple cars and have the time slips to prove it ... :biggrin

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Stormcat has outrun my Whipple car too many times! His car is awesome and he's a great driver.

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Is the 550 stock Hp rated to the flywheel or to the tires , and how accurate is this figure , has anyone ever dynoed a stock GT
If I remember right, mine dynoed around 515whp stock and around 625whp with a pulley/tune.

I can't think of many other RWD cars that can put down the power like this one.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Stormcat has outrun my Whipple car too many times! His car is awesome and he's a great driver.

+1

That is because Brian sweet talks his cars before each run. :lol

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Come and check out my pulley and tune car. I have out run some whipple cars and have the time slips to prove it ... :biggrin

Do you have the Ford or Heffner pulley/tune????

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
they put down around 500-520 rwhp stock, here are some dynos...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford--GT-Dyno-Sheets.html

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
+1

That is because Brian sweet talks his cars before each run. :lol

There goes one of my secrets,, :secret:

Do you have the Ford or Heffner pulley/tune????

Bob Ida Pulley, Torrie Tune.. There are a few new S. FLa guys here , If anyone wants to come by and talk shop I am here.,,:biggrin

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
There goes one of my secrets,, :secret:

Bob Ida Pulley, Torrie Tune.. There are a few new S. FLa guys here , If anyone wants to come by and talk shop I am here.,,:biggrin

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers