Houston Police need FASTER Car?

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
This is a true news story just posted in Houston a few minutes ago. Really, maybe they need driving lessons. Just thought it was funny!

HOUSTON -- Three men have been arrested in connection with a crime spree in northwest Houston Thursday.

Houston police said a woman was robbed of her purse near a McDonald's on Antoine Drive near West Little York Road shortly before 10 a.m.

A second robbery was reported at St. Pius X High School, 811 W. Donovan St., a few minutes later. Witnesses said men in a car asked two people for directions and then tried to steal a woman's purse.

Police spotted the robbers in a Toyota Prius, but lost the men during a short chase.The car was found at an apartment complex in the 5900 block of Pinemont Drive, detectives said.

All three men were found hiding out in a unit at the Pine Forest Apartments, police said.

The men's names have not been released. Police have not said what charges they may face.

Larry Boatner

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I Agree!!

madmaxcar.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good lord. Any LEO who can't catch a PRIUS(?!) obviously isn't trying hard enough & clearly ought to be fired just on general principles! :biggrin

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
Bicycle cops?!?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Foot patrol!

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
When I was in my early twenties (just a few years ago) Iwas speeding (accidently) through a burb in Houston called Southside Place. Anice area that loved serenity. I look in my rear view mirror and saw that thecop was an elderly gent of maybe 70 or 75. I decided to stop not because I was losingground, but because I didn't want him to have a coronary. When he got out ofthe patrol car I could see it obviously took what energy he had. I was veryregretful. :frown
John

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Maybe they got their hands on the newly announced performance pack for the Prius.

H

HHGT

Its because they could not hear the car

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
These cars should be able to catch a Prius.

2011-BMW-5-Series-Police-Car.jpg

Sam it looks like BMW is trying to get some market share in the US LEO space.

http://www.newautosnews.com/2010/03/bmw-carbon-motors-e7-police-car/

H

HHGT

These cars should be able to catch a Prius.

2011-BMW-5-Series-Police-Car.jpg

Sam it looks like BMW is trying to get some market share in the US LEO space.

http://www.newautosnews.com/2010/03/bmw-carbon-motors-e7-police-car/

I dont think so - unless we have gone to right hand drive

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I dont think so - unless we have gone to right hand drive

Click the 2nd link some company is making US BMW police cars.

New autos 2010: Carbon Motors’ E7 Police Car gets BMW Turbo Diesel Power. At a joint press conference held in Washington D.C., BMW and Carbon Motors announced a strategic partnership that will see the German automaker supplying the American law enforcement vehicle manufacturer with diesel engines.

The agreement calls for delivery of BMW’s 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder diesel engines complete with cooling and exhaust gas system and 6-speed automatic transmission for the Carbon E7 rear-wheel drive purpose-built police vehicle.

In the U.S. market 335d and X5 35d, the straight-six diesel produces 265-horsepower at 4,200 rpm and 425 lb-ft of peak torque between 1,750 and 2,250 rpm, while returning 23mpg city / 36mpg highway and 19mpg city / 26mpg highway respectively.

Carbon Motors, which was founded in 2003, said it is estimated that the U.S. law enforcement fleet consumes around 1.5 billion gallons of gasoline and emits an estimated 14 million tons of CO2 annually.

The company believes that the BMW-diesel-powered Carbon E7 will cut both figures by up to 40 percent.

“America’s largest, and most visible fleets of government-owned vehicles, now in excess of 450,000 units, deserve the most durable, efficient and reliable powertrain available,” said William Santana Li, chairman and chief executive officer, Carbon Motors Corporation.

“The strength of BMW as a partner will allow us to provide our women and men in uniform with a diesel engine capable of the performance they desire along with the significant reduction in fuel consumption and emissions that U.S. taxpayers need.”

When it enters full production, the Carbon C7 will compete with the new FWD/AWD Ford Taurus Interceptor powered by either naturally aspirated or turbocharged V6s, GM’s new RWD Chevy Caprice Police car offered with V8 powertrains and the current Dodge Charger. The police car market in the U.S. comprises about 65,000 vehicles annually.