Help with registering my Mustang with DMV in CA.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I just bought a 2011 Mustang Saleen with 3K miles on it from Michigan and the car arrived yesterday. I went my local smog guy and had it smogged and then went to AAA office which handles DMV stuff. They would not register or transfer title as the car is missing the sticker under the hood which specifies the VIN and ststes it can be CA Emmissions certified. As you know Saleen changes the hood to their own CF model and they did not transfer the sticker. Can you guys please advise me as to what I can do or who to contact at Ford to expedite a sticker for my car? ,:confused Please PM me

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Contact Jay Perelli at (818) 892-4335

Pacific Automotive

8349 Haskell Ave

North Hills, CA 91343

(818) 892-4335

You can tell him you were referred by Reid Jensen. Im sure he can take care of this.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thank you so much. I will call and go see him today. Much appreciated for your quick reply

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
CA will not register a car with less than 7,500 miles on it that is a "49 state car". This designation means the car is considered "new" (less than 7,500 miles) and does not have a manufacturer's sticker certifying that the car complies with CA smog guidelines and is legal to register in the state. the law was created many years ago when CA residents would go to adjacent states to purchase new cars which did not have extra smog equipment.

I have personal experience with this section in the DMV code. There are 3 exclusions to this rule: a). You obtained the car in a divorce settlement or via probate of a will, b). You were a member of the armed services and purchased the car out of state while on active duty; c). A car of yours became inoperable beyond repair while travelling out of state and the subject vehicle was purchased out of state as a direct replacement.

If you cannot obtain a sticker with proper CA legal language, contact me at tmctguer@cox.net to discuss this offline.