Help, loose bolts and grease in engine bay

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I noticed a couple black specs on the inside of my rear window today and a bad smell after driving the car. When I opened the clamshell, I saw lots of splattered grease on the driver side of the engine and a bolt that has worked its way out of where the rear axle goes into the transmission.

So, a couple questions for the experts…

Has this happened to anybody else?

Can I tighten the bolt and drive it 35 miles to my mechanic or should I flat bed it?

What possible damage has been done? I can’t say for certain that this didn’t happen in Vegas, so I may have driven quite a bit with grease leaking out of this thing.

Thanks

2873010713_538448f39b_b.jpg

2873839638_3cb8bc9f83_b.jpg

2873010395_f55d14db99_b.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Those are the half shaft bolts, they are on the recall.... Flat bed it to the dealer.
Are you aware of the Customer Satisfaction Program?

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Those are the half shaft bolts, they are on the recall.... Flat bed it to the dealer.
Are you aware of the Customer Satisfaction Program?

I've already had my half shaft bolts replaced. This should make for an interesting call on Monday.

Only BONY would post a reply within 4 minutes of my original post.
:thumbsup

Thanks

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The Torque sepcs are here via search as I recall. Those bolts are not the ones we had issues with. Never seen that before.

It does not look like you lost enough fluid to be concerned about a short drive, unless the belly pan has a quart in it. personally I would remove the other outers and check the torque of the inners as well. Then I would have no issue driving it. Also worth checking to see the other side is at least snug.

Was the recall done?, if so, it may just be that someone did not mark there spots when torquing the bolts.

To Tighten:
You can put the car in neutral and push it fore or aft to get to the bolt you want easily. Don't forget to put it back in gear and parking brake on for your re-torque, or the whole car will move. You need to be able to roll it the diameter of the tire to reach them all this way.

May also want to PM Nota4re , the GT Guys or Shadowman they has done a dozens or more of the upgrades/recalls. Some I saw, had fluid in them and others were dry. There is not supposed to be fluid there except for a very minor seep. You may need re-seal the area around the input shaft. They will be able to add more color and address any concerns. Plenty of reading on axle bolts under search, but may be more than you need.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Aug 25, 2006
I noticed a couple black specs on the inside of my rear window today and a bad smell after driving the car. When I opened the clamshell, I saw lots of splattered grease on the driver side of the engine and a bolt that has worked its way out of where the rear axle goes into the transmission.

So, a couple questions for the experts…

Has this happened to anybody else?

Can I tighten the bolt and drive it 35 miles to my mechanic or should I flat bed it?

What possible damage has been done? I can’t say for certain that this didn’t happen in Vegas, so I may have driven quite a bit with grease leaking out of this thing.

Thanks

2873010713_538448f39b_b.jpg

2873839638_3cb8bc9f83_b.jpg

2873010395_f55d14db99_b.jpg

There is "NO" reason that the bolt should have backed out other than the proper torque was not applied.

As for driving her; I suspect that if you could secure this bolt and then you could make the methodical 35 mile drive only "IF NEEDED" however as shared by Bony if given the option I would flat bed her rather than take any risk.

Furthermore as was also shared also by another the entire recall process as completed on your gal is now suspect as such it "NEEDS" to be done again meaning remove all hardware and make certain that from the inside out the hardware was properly installed and sealed.

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How about the grease? Are you sure this is coming from the halfshaft area? The halfshaft junction should not be a source of grease, since none is normally there. :confused

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I would add to Shadowman's comments the following question: WHICH replacement 1/2 shaft bolt kit was installed? Do you know for sure? There were two 'kits (in case you're not aware)... the "origional" replacement kit used as a "stop gap" measure, and the BOMB PROOF replacement kit that followed the 1st one after MUCH research. As long as you're going to have everything checked out inside & out, I'd have the 'bomb proof' 'bolts installed at the same time if they in fact ARN'T the ones in there already.

Regardless, I can't recall anybody else who's had one of those "outer bolts" come loose. 'Totally agree 'proper torque down was lacking there.

:cheers

Aug 25, 2006
How about the grease? Are you sure this is coming from the halfshaft area? The halfshaft junction should not be a source of grease, since none is normally there. :confused

The grease is coming out of the CV joint; no bolt pressure = leaking

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Perhaps I can be a little more pointed. Whoever did the axle bolt upgrade did not torque the bolt(s) properly. Note that there is both a proper torque spec as well as a specific sequence for tightening.

As Shadowman points out, that looks like grease as opposed to transaxle fluid, so it is the CV joint that is leaking. As in any axle bolt repair/preventative maintenance, the inside of the coupler should be inspected when disassembled. If there is any transaxle fluid present then the TSB procedure should be applied. In this car, whoever is making the repair should also inspect the stamped "cap" of the CV joint for damage. That grease is coming from somewhere and the cap may be damaged.

With respect to driving the car, I'd recommend not to; 1) you may not want to erase any "evidence" of what is happening or get accused of damaging the CV cap by re-assembling and; 2) as the torque to the outside bolts has not been done properly - there as at least suspicion of the condition of the inside bolts.

If you flatbed, please make sure it is done properly. Winching the car up onto the flatbed can be done with the tow hook, but make sure the tow truck operator does not "winch the car down" using the tow hook. The operator should winch it up, strap the tires down and then RELEASE the pressure on the winch.

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
The grease is coming out of the CV joint; no bolt pressure = leaking

Shadowman

Shadowman: I know the CV boot is filled with grease but how does the grease leak out from a loose bolt? I thought the metal bands on either end of the boot would retain the grease. :confused

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Shadowman: I know the CV boot is filled with grease but how does the grease leak out from a loose bolt? I thought the metal bands on either end of the boot would retain the grease. :confused

The grease is coming from 3 seams in the flange. This picture doesn't show it well, but inside the half-cylinder shield, there are three parallel lines of grease.

Thanks again for all your comments. I really appreciate them.

2875651206_554bf439de_b.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Mark, good pictures. The grease is still a bit of a mystery. In your photo, the CV joint separates from the black transaxle coupler at your right-most arrow. In other words, when we do the axle bolt upgrade and remove those 6 outer bolts, the halfshaft seperates at that right-most seam. The metal band between the middle and right-most arrow is part of a stamped "cap" that fits over the end of the CV joint at the end of the halfshaft. Somehow this cap has become damaged or loose and it is letting grease seep out the seams. Granted, the outer bolts typically help to keep this cap in place and secured, but it is normally pressed on over the end of the CV and tighter than snot even without the bolts.

Best of luck with the repair. Make sure they tend to the repair/fitment of this cap because something is not right - undoubtedly due to damage caused by the loosening of the outer bolts. I would also insist on loosening and re-torqueing the inner bolts to spec - regardless of how they may appear.

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
In the above picture the drive area of the bolt looks chewed-up, if it is maybe the entire refit was botched. It may be time for an independent going over.

Aug 25, 2006
I am sure that in the end you will be fine however for the amount of grease to come out the CV joint had to be either installed crooked or the entire assembly is in fact very loose.

Please have the entire assembly on both sides disassembled, inspected, and the properly reassembled.

Takes care

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
In the above picture the drive area of the bolt looks chewed-up, if it is maybe the entire refit was botched. It may be time for an independent going over.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that.

Sorry to hear you've got problems.... keep us posted.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Mark06GT as everyone said I am afraid that the recall was not done correctly. Make sure that those bolts are replaced not just rettighed. I would want a complete new kit used on both sides. If there is a problem with one side there may be a problem with both. Now as far as the grease. Depending on where your recall was done. I have seen some techs who were not experienced with the recall, or can't read directions, pack grease into the half shaft connection. THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE! I guess they feel since it's splined or something it should be grease. This is possibly what has been done on yours. I can't be sure obviously but this may be an explanation. Please update us when you get it fixed.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I've already had my half shaft bolts replaced. This should make for an interesting call on Monday.

Only BONY would post a reply within 4 minutes of my original post.
:thumbsup

4 minutes? Bony must've been napping.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mark06GT as everyone said I am afraid that the recall was not done correctly. Make sure that those bolts are replaced not just rettighed. I would want a complete new kit used on both sides. If there is a problem with one side there may be a problem with both. Now as far as the grease. Depending on where your recall was done. I have seen some techs who were not experienced with the recall, or can't read directions, pack grease into the half shaft connection. THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE! I guess they feel since it's splined or something it should be grease. This is possibly what has been done on yours. I can't be sure obviously but this may be an explanation. Please update us when you get it fixed.

I talked to the dealer today. They have ordered a new kit and have agreed to redo both sides. I'll be sure to ask about the grease as well as the other concerns people have made. I'll be watching the whole process so I can see exactly what they do.

I greatly appreciate all of your input.

Mark

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Mark, much success with the fix.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Here’s a follow-up on my half-shaft bolt issues.

The dealer and mechanic accepted full responsibility for the problem. No backtracking, no excuses. They ordered a new half-shaft bolt kit and just to be safe, they also installed a new axle, knuckles, etc. for the driver side. Passenger side was inspected, but since none of those bolts were loose, they did not replace the axle.

On closer inspection, the bolt heads that appeared damaged in the pictures were not damaged. The mechanic invited me back to the garage several times during the project to show me how it was going and let me inspect anything I wanted to. The actual half-shaft bolts had not moved, but he replaced them anyway.

Thanks again for all the advice and well wishing.