Heffner Exhaust Install

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks to wmjim who orchestrated the entire process with minimal contributions from Matt and me. It was a real struggle getting the old exhaust out even with the clam shell off but putting it back together was much easier. A rewarding experience with a great look and awesome sound.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 600
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 581
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 582
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 598
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 510
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 505
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 515
Last edited by a moderator:

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Great look and even better sound ....I have the same albeit with bumper delete!.......Now quick, go find the nearest tunnel!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You've been carrying around the stock cinder block this entire time, Gary? Looks great! Sure it sounds even better.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Looks great and I was told to wipe down the new X-pipe after install so any grease or finger prints don't become permanent. I have worked on a couple of X-pipe installs and the only real challenge is getting the original boat anchor muffler out past the rear of the transaxle.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How do these sound with the long tube headers (no cats)?

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
How do these sound with the long tube headers (no cats)?
That's what I have on my black car. The sound is aggressive.....

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston

That's an understatement.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten

"Aggressive"? Hahaha. My ears still hurt from that drive-by at the Rally.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
If you thought that was difficult wait till you try and get the manifolds off. !!!

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Gents, I'm currently in discussion re the purchase of '06 GT40. This would be my first ford, I'm an avid Ital car owner/fan but extremely excited about this soon to be new addition to my stable. At the same time, im trying to educate myself with the possible exhaust options and what is considered the "best" setup for these cars. I'm not so keen on messing with the SC due to potential homogulation issue/s when importing/registering here in Switzerland

Many thanks in advance

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do you want to have more power AND sound, or just sound?

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I think they are all about the same. I like the GTGuys tips. I have had the Accufab before...i cant tell the difference inside.

Also consider the Ford racing muffler

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
+1 on the GT Guys exhaust. Sound is great not sure about the power.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Gents, I'm currently in discussion re the purchase of '06 GT40. This would be my first ford, I'm an avid Ital car owner/fan but extremely excited about this soon to be new addition to my stable. At the same time, im trying to educate myself with the possible exhaust options and what is considered the "best" setup for these cars. I'm not so keen on messing with the SC due to potential homogulation issue/s when importing/registering here in Switzerland

Many thanks in advance

There are 3 widely used "Cat Back " " X-pipe " Type set ups .. GT Guys, Accufab & Heffner, all perform about the same and sound similar The real plus is the weight savings and better air flow thru the engine bay.
A common power increase is to use the stock supercharger and run the smaller pulley, commonly referred to as "a pulley and tune". It's hard to pass up a 100 horse power at the wheels for a minimal cost. There are many European cars that have gone with this set up..

X- pipe & Pulley and tune is probably the most common set up if a cars has had any performance modifications.

Last edited:

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
Do you want to have more power AND sound, or just sound?

I would like to see more of both

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
There are 3 widely used "Cat Back " " X-pipe " Type set ups .. GT Guys, Accufab & Heffner, all perform about the same and sound similar The real plus is the weight savings and better air flow thru the engine bay.
A common power increase is to use the stock supercharger and run the smaller pulley, commonly referred to as "a pulley and tune". It's hard to pass up a 100 horse power at the wheels for a minimal cost. There are many European cars that have gone with this set up..

X- pipe & Pulley and tune is probably the most common set up if a cars has had any performance modifications.

Thanks very much for your insight.

Is there a well-known and reputable supplier that you gents use for such parts/upgrades?

I'm struggling to find the "right" dealer/tech in Switzerland to work on the car.....GT40 is far from common here

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I suggest you explore the stainless works system or the Borla straight pipe system that eliminate the cats. there are numerous discussions of all these systems here on this forum.

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
I suggest you explore the stainless works system or the Borla straight pipe system that eliminate the cats. there are numerous discussions of all these systems here on this forum.
Thanks very much. I've quite a bit to post/question re this subject matter

GT40KID

Jan 2, 2017
Switzerland
I think they are all about the same. I like the GTGuys tips. I have had the Accufab before...i cant tell the difference inside.

Also consider the Ford racing muffler
Would the Ford racing muffler be anywhere as good as the aftermarket ones you gents have recommended ?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks very much. I've quite a bit to post/question re this subject matter

Would the Ford racing muffler be anywhere as good as the aftermarket ones you gents have recommended ?

I think deleting the cats is taboo in Europe, IMO the headers are expensive, difficult to install and add more heat to the engine bay due to more radiant surface area, the added power is minimal if any.. The Borla box mufflers seem to break at the seams if you run the car.. Not much louder than stock.. and not as much weight savings as the x pipes..
The x pipes are bullet proof. You have a great source for mods , David Jones is in the UK he posts here.. He is GT101 here a post he made

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/32999-2006-Heritage-GT-15-miles-only

did you check out this ? : http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/3051-Complete-Rally-Exhaust-Compilation

Last edited: