Header Bolt question

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
headerbolt.jpg

Was looking at engine this evening - and noticed what appears to be a missing header bolt. The larger interior bolt seems to be there, but the "internal" smaller bolt is not.

Doesn't look like any exhaust leaks..

How much of a concern is this?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
That's just a different bolt someone used there as the header gets in the way to use the same as the orhers

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Shelby!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you want to have a matching 'standard' header bolt in that hole, all you have to do is back off all the header bolts on that bank juuuuuuust far enough so that you can slip a 'standard' bolt thru that particular 'flange hole (after removing the present stud/nut lash-up, of course). Then continually screw this NEW bolt down first as you retighten all the others. By continually 'snugging' that bolt down ahead of all the others, you ought find that you have all the header clearance you need. :cheers

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In detail, we can see an OEM stud (small hex on the end) as well as the OEM jet nut. The "missing" bolt as others have noted, is not really missing but is a bolt instead of a stud and nut. In particular, that is a Stage 8 bolt (http://www.stage8.com/perfauto.html). I believe that those headers typically shipped with the Stage 8 bolts but it was impossible to use their ingenious locking system because the bolt recessed too far into the deep (nice!) header flange.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hi Guys,

I had some custom A286 Stainless Steel studs made by ARP. They seat deeply into the head and have only enough thread on the nut side to have a couple of threads past the nut once seated with 3/8" flanges. Because the outboard side is shorter, they also make it easier to install the exhaust since it is less prone to "hanging up" on a shorter stud. They have a female allen drive for installing them. They use a normal nut of course, I use a elliptically locking interference nut that won't back off "JET NUT". The nut is steel so that it is less likely to seize on the stainless stud.

A286 is the best stainless for fasteners in high temp locations. Just my reccomendation and .02 worth

Cheers

The stud closest is the custom short stud. This pic is of the intake side of the head... I drill the head out and retap them to use for my phenolic spacer / water bypass kits, that's what this pic is from

DSC01581.jpg