Have we talked about oil lately?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If I remember the Ford 5W-50 oil for the FGT (type "A"?) is gone....

While looking at another thread and talking to my son ('11 GT500), many are moving from the only offered Ford 5W-50 to other types including M1, T6, Amsoil. Case in point jcthorne uses T6 in everything but has yet to test and flip the oil in the FGT...

so, if this is true - who is using what if different from the FoMoCo 5W-50?

SVT thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/787413-official-uoa-thread-oil-poll.html

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Motorcraft 5w-50 is alive and well and still readily/easily available. Just in our shop, we are going through literally cases per week as it is also the recommended oil in the Boss 302 Coyote motors as well. We won't switch to anything else for either the GT or the Mustangs that we are now maintaining.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
My local Ford dealer has all you could want thankfully as i have no intension of useing anything else.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My local Ford dealer has all you could want thankfully as i have no intension of useing anything else.

x2. The Mustang forums endlessly debate the oil issue but the information is of little practical value.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
There is no Motorcraft 5W50 'A' spec oil available. Long gone.

The currently available 'B' spec is NOT the same oil formulation originally specified for the FGT and it has shown through labrotory testing to not be among the highest performing lubricants. Several competitors offer better performing solutions including Shell, Redline and others.

Continue using the 'good enough' Motorcraft product if you wish, it likely will not cause any harm to your engine during its normal life span. I am among the first to admit that these discussions of the 'best' oils is picking nits at best. I prefer the Shell product for several reasons and it has performed well for me. YMMV.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There is no Motorcraft 5W50 'A' spec oil available. Long gone.

The currently available 'B' spec is NOT the same oil formulation originally specified for the FGT and it has shown through labrotory testing to not be among the highest performing lubricants. Several competitors offer better performing solutions including Shell, Redline and others.

Continue using the 'good enough' Motorcraft product if you wish, it likely will not cause any harm to your engine during its normal life span. I am among the first to admit that these discussions of the 'best' oils is picking nits at best. I prefer the Shell product for several reasons and it has performed well for me. YMMV.

Good info about A spec vs. B spec.

I have long been a believer that OEM recommended oils are not the best available. A offshore marine engine is harder on oil than any automotive use (including racing) and none of the top engine builders use Automotive OEM oils. None. They simply are not the best available.

That said, the issue is not a simple one. It won't get solved here and it will unlikely change minds if we discuss it too far.

:usa

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
If I remember the Ford 5W-50 oil for the FGT (type "A"?) is gone....

Sorry, I stand corrected, I didn't read close enough.:frown

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
from the thread we all posted in Oct 2008.... Sorry to resurrect this but to jcthornes point the B - which is not what came with the GT's have shown break down ~3k miles. My son and I got into it about this and the resutls on SVT tell me to use T6 or Amsoil 10-40....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WSS-M2C931-A is essentially SAE 5W-50 API SL. WSS-M2C931-B is essentially SAE 5W-50 API SM.
-A is GF-3 and -B is GF-4 [all honesty - I have no frigging idea what this means:facepalm:]

10-23-2008, 07:46 PM​

It is reported by some that running a *w-40 oil in the engine will cause a loss of power from less than full valve lift due to leak-down of the hydraulic lifters. I recommend only running oil meeting the Ford specs.

jack at accufab proved it! :thumbsup :cheers:cheers

BlackICE
10-23-2008, 07:49 PM​

jack at accufab proved it! :thumbsup :cheers:cheers

It thought it was John at Accufab and Jack at Muscle Motors. :confused

RALPHIE
10-23-2008, 11:15 PM​

Jack Roush ... which meets Ford WSS-M2C931-B....
http://www.roushoil.com/5w-50.html

Castrol ...Ford WSS–M2C931–A .....

Anyone familiar with the difference between "A" and "B" specs? Not sure I want to deviate from the "B" as it is specified for our gals. At least not until the warranty period is up.

MAD IN NC
10-23-2008, 11:19 PM​

Anyone familiar with the difference between "A" and "B" specs? Not sure I want to deviate from the "?" as it is specified for our gals. At least not until the warranty period is up.

"?" was originally for the GT500's but now I believe I saw a post that A=B and that's all FoMoCo supplies :confused

Viper
10-24-2008, 08:47 AM​

Thanks Neilda

But I f I had to deviate on the 5 or the 50 I guess I ought to deviate down on the 5?

Indy GT
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM​

This motor oil topic has been discussed many many times. Please do a Forum search on the topic. For our UK members expressing "difficulty" in getting the specific 5W-50 Motorcraft oil designed for the FGT engine, I have a hard time believing Ford or Rousch enterprises cannot get this oil which is now specified for both the FGT and the Mustang Shelby 500/KR engines. This oil is out there and as tmcphail posts, he can sell it to you if necessary.

The development and operating characteristics of our unique engines (and now similar offspring in the Mustangs) is premised on continued use of "good" oil being used. Using the factory recommended Motorcraft fluids is a no-brainer. You don't need to worry about warranty coverage, lubrication characteristics, batch-to-batch variation, viscosity selection, etc. It is all done for you. Ford recommends the use of THIS oil in our engines, and Ford continues to over-check production batches to ensure the product meets its lubrication requirements.

Unfortunately you can't go to Wal-Mart, Meijer, K-Mart, etc to buy the oil, and it does cost a bit more than other fully-synthetic oil offerings from say Red-Line, Penzoil, Amzoil, Moble-1, Royal Purple etc. If you can afford to spend $180K on a FGT, how can you reasonably support an argument to use a non-recommended lubricating fluid in the most expensive component of your GT? And WHY would you want to?? It just does not make sense.

Incidently Mike, the Ford WSS-M2C931-A spec (API service "SL") oil was the original formulation and comes with a "black" cap on the bottle. The newer WSS-M2C931-B oil (API service "SM") has reduced amounts of “ZDDP” wear resistant additive which has been linked to high mileage converter fouling and comes with a gold colored cap. I would think by now most of the "A" oil in inventory has been consumed as the switch to "B" oil was made quite some time ago. Both are equally acceptable in our engines and the newer "B" API SL oil has been reviewed (and tested) by the engine engineering team for acceptance.

Use the lubrication fluids Ford recommends for both the engine AND (very important) the transaxle as well. You will thus have much more time available to worry about something else.. (and your engine and transaxle will be happy). Note, I do not work for Ford nor do I have any financial gain in promoting the use of their fluids.

BlackICE
10-24-2008, 05:28 PM​

Incidently Mike, the Ford WSS-M2C931-A spec (API service "SL") oil was the original formulation and comes with a "black" cap on the bottle. The newer WSS-M2C931-B oil (API service "SM") has reduced amounts of “ZDDP” wear resistant additive which has been linked to high mileage converter fouling and comes with a gold colored cap

If you could find old stock, the A (SL) spec oil it may be better than the B (SM) oil for maximum engine life at the expense of a possible reduction of CAT life.

Indy GT
10-24-2008, 06:23 PM​

I understand your logic, and thought the same...

Although I believe it will be more difficult as time goes on to find any "A" oil remaining to use.

I have it on a reliable source, the "B" oil will work as fully intended in our engine application and has passed internal durability testing to support this conclusion. Use either will full confidence.

I think the reduction of ZDDP for catalitic converter fouling in our application is a "non-point". I would venture only "Seattle Jeff" will put the number of miles on his car to even think about converter fouling. Most of us owners will NEVER accumulate the miles necessary to approach this concern, nor will we ever fully utilize the fully synthetic Motorcraft oil attributes as we (at least I do) change the oil at very low mileage intervals and more on a "time" basis.

Thanks as always for your insightful comments!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The redline 5-50 is the best oil in the country for a 5-50 weight. The Gt500 5-50 breaks down in about 3000 miles to a 5-30 weight i believe if i remember correct. There is a huge study on it under the GT500 Section on svt performance. Redline is what I will be running in my GT.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The redline 5-50 is the best oil in the country for a 5-50 weight. The Gt500 5-50 breaks down in about 3000 miles to a 5-30 weight i believe if i remember correct. There is a huge study on it under the GT500 Section on svt performance. Redline is what I will be running in my GT.

I run RedLine 10W-40 synthetic in my Sanger Picklefork Hydro, but I'll stick with the Ford Motorcraft 5W-50 synthetic in my GT until Ford tells me that I should use something else. My engine is as strong at 55,000 miles as it was when it was new, and I've always followed Ford's recommendations. And, I think I've used "Gold Cap B" for the last 8 oil changes.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I HATE these threads..... all they do is confuse my poor little brain.....

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have a bottle of the gold cap in front of me and it says "designed,engineered for use in the Ford GT and Shelby GT" interesting that it says "Product of korea *blended &packaged in the U.S....

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Ralphie boy, where do you run the bad boy Sanger???

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I HATE these threads..... all they do is confuse my poor little brain.....

Not to worry my friend. I am sending you a 'care package' of various sizes of black caps. You can put these on any oil that you might use.

Everything will be OK. :rofl

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I believe John at Accufab will tell you to use Mobile 1. That's what he told me.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
HA thanks bud!

Not to worry my friend. I am sending you a 'care package' of various sizes of black caps. You can put these on any oil that you might use.

Everything will be OK. :rofl

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mike, see my PM.

Torrie, any problems getting the Motorcraft 5W-50 oil?
Current cost?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I believe John at Accufab will tell you to use Mobile 1. That's what he told me.
Fubar,

Did John advise you to use this?

yhst-13807109791991_2196_1683136096

Mobil 1 5W-50
Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil
Product Description
Mobil 1 5W-50 is an advanced full synthetic engine oil designed to help provide exceptional wear protection for a smooth driving experience every time. Mobil 1 5W-50, Rally Formula, meets or exceeds the requirements of the industry and car manufacturers' standards required for high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines. Mobil 1 5W-50 is especially suited for high speed and severe service associated with stop and go driving. Racing or normal driving, Mobil 1 5W-50, Rally Formula, helps to provide heavy-duty engine performance and protection for an outstanding driving experience.

Features and Potential Benefits
Mobil 1 5W-50 is made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with a precisely balanced component system. Mobil 1 5W-50’s wide viscosity grade helps to provide a flexible combination of powerful protection agents that provide outstanding performance in many driving situations. This oil, not only meets or exceeds the toughest industry performance standards, it is recommended by several major car manufacturers for service fill use.
Applications
Mobil 1 5W-50 is recommended for all types of vehicles, suitable for use in high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, light vans and trucks.

•Mobil 1 5W-50 is suitable for many types of severe driving applications, especially demanding conditions including high speed highway and stop and go city driving.
•Mobil 1 5W-50 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 5W-50 meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-50
API SN,SM/SL/SJ X
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 X

Mobil 1 5W-50 has the following builder approvals: 5W-50
VW 505 00 X
VW 501 01
PORSCHE A40 X
MB-Approval 229.3 X
MB-Approval 229.1 X
BMW High Performance Diesel Oil X
Lexus LFA Factory Fill X

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 5W-50 Value
Viscosity, cSt ASTM D445
@ 40º C 108
@ 100º C 17.5
Viscosity Index 180
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4951) 0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 231
Density @15.6 ºC g/ml, (ASTM D4052) 0.85
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
MRV at -35 ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 29,244
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 4.4

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I didn’t get into specific s with him. We briefly discussed the type of oil the motor would need after his work. He said "Mobile 1 is the only oil I will use period.” I quickly got the impression that any suggestion about Amsoil or Royal Purple, would be dismissed in short order.