Has Anyone Clear Bra'ed Their Heritage?

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I have talked to a couple of firms that do the 3M clear bra, and they have informed me that using the film over the black tape that separates the Blue from Orange colors on the front clip, will leave an air gap under the film. This air gap will manifest itself in a visible white line on both sides of the black tape. Has anyone cleared their Heritage, and if so, did they cut the film on both sides of the black tape, or did they go completely over the black tape? I want to get this done, but want to have an idea of what it will look like. Thanks,

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have talked to a couple of firms that do the 3M clear bra, and they have informed me that using the film over the black tape that separates the Blue from Orange colors on the front clip, will leave an air gap under the film. This air gap will manifest itself in a visible white line on both sides of the black tape. Has anyone cleared their Heritage, and if so, did they cut the film on both sides of the black tape, or did they go completely over the black tape? I want to get this done, but want to have an idea of what it will look like. Thanks,

Check with Matt [AKA 427 Aggie].

If I remember correctly, he did the 3M thing to his Heritage.

I did not use it for the reasons you are mentioning.

Instead I opted for the Speed Lingere Bra [in Black,of course, becasue it makes your Heritage run faster than those colored ones that others have got].:biggrin

Fred

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
No problems. I did not use 3M...its something else..can't remember the company but I can find out. 3M has a tendency to yellow. 2 Heritage cars in town with it and no problems...You can't even tell its there if installed properly you have to really look for it..until it gets dirty on the edges, which will happen over time with driving.

Matt

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
I think it will be OK but it may lift the black tape when you peel it up. I'm gonna do mine this week or weekend. I'll try to post a pic when I'm done and it's dry.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Try Aeroguard ultra .... its a bit better than the regular stuff and if you have a good installer its invisible on most apps.

here's a link

http://www.clearmask.com/about_our_kits.php

I have used it ... its awesome stuff.

Steve

H

HHGT

I did mine in SoCal. My biggest concern was the black tape, so the surgeon cut his template within 1/18" off the edge of the black tape. Front, sides, scoop, side view mirrors and the entore rear bumper.

Jazz76

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 9, 2006
Harleysville, PA
I cleared my Heritage, and cut the film on both sides of the black tape, for both reasons. One, not to have air gap on either side and second to be able to remove, replace without fear of lifting the black pinstripe. I left about a 1mm gap and you have to look real close to notice it.

Hubert

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Thank you very much everybody. I now have the information to get my car done, and done right.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Clear bra over the black tape, no air gaps, no white lines, it sat down perfectly.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

I installed the 3M film myself on both cars including the Heritage. NO AIR GAPS AT ALL! If you film is the highest quality 3M film and it is installed correctly, it will not be a problem. I went over the black tape. I pulled it up once to re-position and did not pull the tape. However over time, if I have to remove it, the tape may come up in the future. But my view is that tape is tape. I'll just re-tape it. I have installed the the same film on my Porsche GT3Ferrari 360, Viper, and both FGT's. I have become very good at installing the film which is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that I can do it well. The curse is that it takes lots of time and patience, both of which are in very short supply for me! I buy my film stock wholesale from Clear Mask. You can find them at: http://www.clearmask.com

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Thank you Tim, I will be ordering their Ultra film and doing the job myself. Being retired, I have all the time in the world to get it right, as long as Mr. Alzheimer's doesn't pay me a visit. Told my wife if I start clearing the dog, hide the GT keys.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
I just finished my front end last night, er, this morning at about 4am. I bought a kit from:

http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php?cat=2378

Talked to Dean there. He gave a discount and, in addition to being reasonably priced, the kit fit like a champ for the most part. It was easier to install than I expected, though the nose took me 5 hours for the 11 pcs or whatever it is. Hopefully it stays down and looks as nice as it does now. I'm going to get their rocker panel kit too.

bruce

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thank you Tim, I will be ordering their Ultra film and doing the job myself. Being retired, I have all the time in the world to get it right, as long as Mr. Alzheimer's doesn't pay me a visit. Told my wife if I start clearing the dog, hide the GT keys.

I think that you won't have a problem. I have learned a few things that I'll pass along as "Tim's Tips".

1. First, make sure you have a very clean work environment and surface
2. Second, a warm, humid atmosphere is the best working environment (about 75 degrees is ideal). A cold, dry environment sucks, as the film is less pliable, and wants to dry out too fast shortening your working time.
3. Third, don't make your wetting solution too soapy. I put a few drops of baby shampoo for every 16 ounces. I have learned over time how to set the best concentration just by "feeling" the solution in my hands. This will help adhesion better.
4. "Try, try again". Don't be afraid to reposition multiple times before you finally squeeg down your final application.
5. Don't be afraid to stretch your film, but don't over-stretch the film as it will distort and make your cut lines or edges come out "wavey".

Follow these words of advise and you will be a happy camper.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Good advice above - also make sure your hands are really clean and free from oil and dirt. It will help eliminate fingerprints. A hair dryer can come in handy when you need to stretch the film or it's colder than you'd like in the garage.

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I think that you won't have a problem. I have learned a few things that I'll pass along as "Tim's Tips".

1. First, make sure you have a very clean work environment and surface
2. Second, a warm, humid atmosphere is the best working environment (about 75 degrees is ideal). A cold, dry environment sucks, as the film is less pliable, and wants to dry out too fast shortening your working time.
3. Third, don't make your wetting solution too soapy. I put a few drops of baby shampoo for every 16 ounces. I have learned over time how to set the best concentration just by "feeling" the solution in my hands. This will help adhesion better.
4. "Try, try again". Don't be afraid to reposition multiple times before you finally squeeg down your final application.
5. Don't be afraid to stretch your film, but don't over-stretch the film as it will distort and make your cut lines or edges come out "wavey".

Follow these words of advise and you will be a happy camper.

Tim, thanks for the info. I printed it out and will be referring to it as I do my car.

SNAPROLL
Thanks for the website to Stickercity. I talked to Dean and ordered the material. Now to wait for a warm humid day here in Northern California. Maybe I'll get the car out by my spa, crank it up and work in the steam. Anyway, much appreciated from everyone. It makes the decision to attempt this myself much easier by having someone that has done it, give me pointers and tips to make the job come out perfect.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Good advice above - also make sure your hands are really clean and free from oil and dirt. It will help eliminate fingerprints. A hair dryer can come in handy when you need to stretch the film or it's colder than you'd like in the garage.

A great point! Also, wet your hands down thoroughly with your soapy solution before handling the film! GOOD LUCK!