Gt500 Kr

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Just reading a review of the new GT500 KR in Winding Road. Why didn't Ford put the aluminum block GT engine in the car since the asking price begins @ nearly $80M? Different supercharger too, right?
Sounds like a great ride, the killer Mustang of all time, but losing another 150lbs up front wouldn't have hurt.
Also, isn't Shelby coming out with his own version of the KR that is even hotter?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I can give you at least 30,000 reasons for that and they all have George Washington's picture on them.:biggrin

Besides, I'm sure Ford took into account the fact that GT owners pbly wouldn't have appreciated the identical engine they paid a minimum of $167K to get was now going to be installed in a car costing less than 1/2 as much. That'd kinda take the bloom off the rose as they say...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Just reading a review of the new GT500 KR in Winding Road. Why didn't Ford put the aluminum block GT engine in the car since the asking price begins @ nearly $80M? Different supercharger too, right?
Sounds like a great ride, the killer Mustang of all time, but losing another 150lbs up front wouldn't have hurt.
Also, isn't Shelby coming out with his own version of the KR that is even hotter?

What costs $80 Million? :confused

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ford did take into account that we, the 4038 Ford GT owners, would not be pleased if the same motor we had in our GT 's was standard equipment in the KR Mustang.
AJB

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ford GT motor replacement ~$45K

KR motor replacement ~ probably less then $20K

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Also no room for Dry Sump system. Tomy

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I thought the KR was a SHELBY product......

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The GT500KR is way overpriced. My local Ford dealer and I just had this conversation. They put a few body parts,40HP,gears and wheels and charge $80K MSRP and a $50K ADM.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The GT500KR is way overpriced. My local Ford dealer and I just had this conversation. They put a few body parts,40HP,gears and wheels and charge $80K MSRP and a $50K ADM.

I agree although I do like the car... and also you forgot to point out the fact that although they are stickering for $80k, people are paying WAY over that. Most in the mid 100's

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

...It's only overpriced if no one steps up and pays it.

I for one wouldn't. But then, I'm "tight" anyway. :biggrin

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
What costs $80 Million? :confused

You and I would sooooo get along. I am a spelling and grammar freak. When I read an article it's like I am proofreading. Blunders stick out like they are in red. I just wish I could get paid for it. I had to correct three things just in this message lol. Oh, Pockets.........The word isn't "tight". We are just thrifty or conservative. Thank goodness for the spenders of the world as they keep the economy going. However, they have no place in government or my household.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Mid 100's ?? I'm out of there ! 75-80k and I'm in (If I don't stop at Nissan's on my way).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oh, Pockets.........The word isn't "tight". We are just thrifty or conservative.

In your case maybe! I'M JUST PLAIN DANG TIGHT!

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
The KR uses the same Eaton as the GT500. Only motor mod is the open element filter and a tune to support it. The same kit can be purchased from Ford Racing. Aftermarket intakes and tuners provide double the horsepower gain. KR also has 3.73 gears instead of the standard 3.31 ratio. I saw Shelby's KR at BJ in January. They say the carbon fiber hood costs in the neighborhood of $3k. The car is lowered slightly and supposedly tuned for better handling. I don't care for the wheels. Also the tires are supposed to be unique with a ton of grip. I can only assume the msrp is a result of dealers selling GT500's for so much over sticker. Ford is aware that they will sell for a bunch and wants a piece of the pie this time around. Nice car but seriously, if it takes $100k to buy one it seems like a FGT would be a better buy unless you already have one and don't want another.....

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
I personally have no use for the KR. I bought a GT500 and paid $1100 for an EVO stage 2 kit that delivers an extra 125 hp. My kind of deal.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Let me get this straight. It is almost TWICE as high as a GT500 (or more considering the addendum) and it only has a few extra HP. Let me think about this. You can buy a new Vette in the 40's. So I can buy 2 GT500's or a GT500 and a Vette. Wait,,,,,I don't even need to think about this anymore....even at the $80K sticker price it is outrageous.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Let me get this straight. It is almost TWICE as high as a GT500 (or more considering the addendum) and it only has a few extra HP. Let me think about this. You can buy a new Vette in the 40's. So I can buy 2 GT500's or a GT500 and a Vette. Wait,,,,,I don't even need to think about this anymore....even at the $80K sticker price it is outrageous.

Why is it outrageous? I personally wouldn't buy one at that price (I opted for a GT500 instead) but the KR will sell at the asking price all day long, so it seems like it's priced right. Something is objectively overpriced only if there are no buyers at the asking price, while it is subjectively overpriced if you wouldn't buy it.

Remember that Shelby is of the "built less/charge more" philosophy and I can't fault him for that. Who can honestly fault Ford and Shelby for wanting a piece of the action? We should all be grateful Shelby wasn't in charge of the GT program because he would have made 1/2 the number and charged $300k (and probably would have gotten it too). As long as Ford doesn't build more than the 1500 or so KRs planned, I don't think you will ever get one for less than MSRP.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Why is it outrageous? I personally wouldn't buy one at that price (I opted for a GT500 instead) Nuff said.